It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• microdermabrasion right for me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
    lobochick946
    (female)

lobochick946 HB User
    Unhappy microdermabrasion right for me?

I just want to know if any of you have had microdermabrasion and for what reason? I am considering it, but i do not know for sures if this treatment is right for me. I am only 19 years old and i have acne scars on my forehead, i do not want to have to wear foundation on my face for the rest of my life to try and cover as much of the scars as i can. It makes me feel very insecure about my appearance. What is the best thing to do about this? I really hate wearing foundation! What else is there out there? What are the side affects? Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
    girl3900
    (female)

girl3900 HB User
    Re: microdermabrasion right for me?

First off, they're probobly not scars. You can't hide acne scars with foundation. Scars are indents and not red marks. If all you have are red marks, they should normally fade within 3-6 months. If you can't wait that long, I'd first get your active acne under control by seeing a dermatologist and then perhaps asking them what you could do. I've had a lot of at-home chemical peels done and it worked wonders for my face. I used to have bright red marks covering my entire face but now they're fading and some are hardly noticeable anymore. It's probobly the best thing I could have done for it. I'm also on Retin-a which speeds up the fading process. I personally wouldn't waste my time with microdermabrasion...it seems to be more of a mild exfoliant and something to simply tone the skin rather than to get rid of red marks. You'd have to do a lot of sessions to get any kind of result. So far i've done 6 chemical peels and my skin is looking the best it's looked in years. There are a lot of different kinds of peels though so you might want to look into it. I'm doing a low percentage TCA peel and i've gotten the best results with that so far.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #3
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

You should really get something like a chemical peel or beta peel instead of microdermabrasion. There stronger and you see much better results. Theres no side effects except that your face will be red for about a day at the most.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
    lobochick946
    (female)

lobochick946 HB User

My scars are like little indents in my skin. So then some sort of a peel would be best for me? How much does it cost if i want a professional to do it for me?

Old 07-27-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
    frisco1

frisco1 HB User

I'm 28 years old and have been suffering with acne for 15 years.
    I have been doing microdermabrasion for about a month. I've had a couple procedures. I can tell a difference in my skin. There are times that I still break out but the pimples are no where as big. Also my face is starting to get smoother. I suffer with tiny little bumps. Also my scarring are red bumps( and they have not faded away in a couple of months) as well and the mircoderm is helping with this issue as well. The only thing with mircoderm you DO need to make it a commitment to go several times. It's not going to work one time. Also you may see if your insurance will pay for it. I got very lucky b/c my insurance pays for mine. My dr has a woman in the office that does mircderm and my dr wrote a letter explaining that I have tried everything and wanted me to try this instead of accutane since I'm already 28 and married I might want to start a family soon and accutane is not a good idea if I want to have a baby. I like mircoderm, also it's taking off all the dead skin build up on your face. The woman who does my mircoderm told me that her goal is to get my skin looking so good that I do not have to wear foundation. I'm like you lobochick946 I hate wearing that stuff. I hope this helps you make up your mind. You have two opinions on the subject.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
    joche

joche HB User

I've never done any chemical peels or professional microdermabrasion. If you are on a budget, doing home microdermabrasion is just as effective and will save you tons of money. Since your scars are little dented ones, home microdermabrasion will do the job. You need a deeper procedure if your dents are very deep. I also have some mildly dented acne scars and have been doing home microdermabrasion (Epidermx) with great results. They are about 40% improved in 2 months.

Closed Thread