It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• The Wonders of Aloe Vera

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #46
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User
    Re: The Wonders of Aloe Vera

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bggmm
    AccuDude - Is they aloe vera gel you mention in your post an effective redness reducer, say, after tweezing brows and/or shaving legs? Guess what I'm asking is if it's a good, all-around product. After tweezing/digging out ingrown hairs, the brow area is very raw, which causes the redness, and sore. I'd love to use something to sooth the area and reduce the redness.

Thanks!

(Anyone else have this problem?)

Also, is Accutane used to treat ingrown hairs? (Forgot to ask my Derm yesterday.)
    Absolutely! PURE aloe vera is simply the best for this. I have never gotten any razor burn on my face when using it aftewards or pimples caused from shaving.

I must mention I also shave my pubic region and applied aloe to that with success, but I found for this specific area witch hazel, although it burned, was much more effective. Buddy of mine let me in on that secret and it really works.

However, to answer your basic question aloe can and should be used for just about anything. Nothing bad can happen from using Pure Aloe Vera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #47
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TieferSchlummer
    I'm glad aloe vera has been working for you, but I would caution you not to overdo it; bacteria tends to thrive in moist environments, and it would be counterproductive to lather up your face every night. I would recommend using the aloe vera every other night.
    I disagree, mainly because I feel that if you don't apply aloe to your face one night you are missing out on that all important shield you get while you sleep and roll your face around in your pillow. This is almost equally as important as the aloe itself. Which is why putting copious amounts on this important.

And although bacteria thrives in moist environments, I don't think it would thrive in an environment with aloe vera, which is constantly killing this bacteria and healing.

I would use it all day as well but I have to apply my antibiotic to my face 4 times a day, and I don't believe in washing my face.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #48
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qwerasdf
    I asked my dermatologist about using aloe vera for acne and he said it might clog pores...just a little heads up
    What kind of things happen when your pores clog? I don't understand people always say stuff clogs your pores.. does that just mean your going to get worse acne? cause if that's the case I don't think Aloe clogs pores because my acne is improving dramatically everyday.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #49
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Accutane Dude
    And although bacteria thrives in moist environments, I don't think it would thrive in an environment with aloe vera, which is constantly killing this bacteria and healing.
    As great as aloe vera is, it unfortunately does very little to combat bacteria.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #50
    qwerasdf

qwerasdf HB User

I'm just saying, aloe vera has its downsides and it's no miracle cure. Accutane Dude I'm glad it's worked for you, but all I'm saying is dif things work for dif ppl and informing that it might clog pores is a precaution.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #51
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    As great as aloe vera is, it unfortunately does very little to combat bacteria.
    Hmm, well if it's constantly healing the skin how would the bacteria thrive?

Old 08-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #52
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qwerasdf
    I'm just saying, aloe vera has its downsides and it's no miracle cure. Accutane Dude I'm glad it's worked for you, but all I'm saying is dif things work for dif ppl and informing that it might clog pores is a precaution.
    I know it's not a miracle cure, however I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention anything bad about it ever. So i'm just saying I guess that it's worth adding to the routine if it can only make things better.

I would like to hear from someone that has had a bad experience they can share if there is one, including pores clogging, or breaking out in any kind.

I wish I would of known about Aloe before instead of using Vitamin E, I used Vitamin E for about 2 weeks constantly and was breaking out like cray, finally I looked into it and sure enough many many people said it breaks you out. That's one mistake that cost me a lot of zits + extra red marks now

Aloe good, vitamin E bad

Old 08-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #53
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Accutane Dude
    Hmm, well if it's constantly healing the skin how would the bacteria thrive?
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "constantly healing the skin" - aloe vera is effective chiefly as an anti-inflammatory, which is to say, it alleviates the apperance or redness and is useful in preventing swelling and other symptoms of aggravated and inflamed skin. This is primarily what makes it such an effective aftershave, because by preventing redness and inflammation, it in turn can help to prevent the flare-ups that aggravated skin often entails. Nevertheless, aloe vera is unlikely to do much for acne, though, as you say, it will almost certainly do no further damage. Like you, I personally have never experienced obstructed pores as a result of aloe vera. Having said that, I have often noticed that tiny pustles will develop in the area surrounding my nose following a liberal application of aloe vera, this attributable I think to the fact that bacteria is able to proliferate very quickly in moist or warm environments (which is why bacteria manage to cultivate the nose so successfully).

Last edited by Tiefer479; 08-03-2004 at 10:21 PM.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #54
    jennymc41
    Veteran
    (female)

jennymc41 HB User

is the aloe vera gel supposed to be clear and kinda lumpy?? i just bought "real aloe vera gel" and its all lumpy and it's clear not green, so im confused

Old 08-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #55
    bggmm

bggmm HB User

Thank you! Luckily, I have a half dozen health food stores near me so it ought to be easy to find the brand you mentioned.

>Absolutely! PURE aloe vera is simply the best for this. I have never gotten any razor burn on my face when using it aftewards or pimples caused from shaving.

I must mention I also shave my pubic region and applied aloe to that with success, but I found for this specific area witch hazel, although it burned, was much more effective. Buddy of mine let me in on that secret and it really works.

However, to answer your basic question aloe can and should be used for just about anything. Nothing bad can happen from using Pure Aloe Vera<

Old 08-04-2004, 09:07 PM   #56
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "constantly healing the skin" - aloe vera is effective chiefly as an anti-inflammatory, which is to say, it alleviates the apperance or redness and is useful in preventing swelling and other symptoms of aggravated and inflamed skin. This is primarily what makes it such an effective aftershave, because by preventing redness and inflammation, it in turn can help to prevent the flare-ups that aggravated skin often entails. Nevertheless, aloe vera is unlikely to do much for acne, though, as you say, it will almost certainly do no further damage. Like you, I personally have never experienced obstructed pores as a result of aloe vera. Having said that, I have often noticed that tiny pustles will develop in the area surrounding my nose following a liberal application of aloe vera, this attributable I think to the fact that bacteria is able to proliferate very quickly in moist or warm environments (which is why bacteria manage to cultivate the nose so successfully).
    Hmm you might be right about that. I have gotten a few whiteheads, but VERY little which I don't mind so much as they should be gone soon, they aren't deep at all.

I thought aloe heals though cause people use it for burns and stuff, but I see what you mean now.

My skin is looking better everyday and much less red to give you an update

Old 08-04-2004, 09:08 PM   #57
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennymc41
    is the aloe vera gel supposed to be clear and kinda lumpy?? i just bought "real aloe vera gel" and its all lumpy and it's clear not green, so im confused
    Yup you got the right stuff, gl let us know how you like it.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:10 PM   #58
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bggmm
    Thank you! Luckily, I have a half dozen health food stores near me so it ought to be easy to find the brand you mentioned.
    I used lilly of the desert last night and doing it again tonight. It might of given me some whiteheads as oppose to pure aloe but giving it a shot. Lilly of the Desert is 99.5% pure aloe. see how it goes

Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #59
    star82

star82 HB User

to accutane dude,
    i jsut wanted to kno if you put ur acne meds on, and thne OVER it u put the aloe on??? it wont lessen the effectiveness of the acne meds or nething right??

Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #60
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by star82
    to accutane dude,
    i jsut wanted to kno if you put ur acne meds on, and thne OVER it u put the aloe on??? it wont lessen the effectiveness of the acne meds or nething right??
    Yes that's exactly what I do, and from what I can tell it doesn't reduce the effectiveness of the meds.

Closed Thread