It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Tetracycline?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
    wishyouwerehere

wishyouwerehere HB User
    Tetracycline?

Hey everyone. I went to my derm today because my acne has been getting worse over the past few months and he prescibed Tetracycline for me, along with Retin-A Micro cream. Have any of you tried either of them before? Did they work, and were there side effects? Thanks for any feedback!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User
    Re: Tetracycline?

hey, i'm on tetracycline right now and im on day 20 of it...you are supposed to wait at least a month for it to work. i went on tetra because of mild acne that was very persistant and red cheeks, i can say that i havent had any real breakouts in a while and i believe its because of the tetra. for me there is no side effects so far... right now i don't have any pimples just scars... i thought bp cream was supposed to work better with tetra than any other topical meds so i dont know about retin-a but i'm using klaron lotion because its gentle. well hope this helps...good luck and keep me posted on the tetra

Old 08-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Post Re: Tetracycline?

I was on Tetracycline for a year and my skin was flawless! No blemishes, scars, pimples, nothing. I could eat anything I wanted too. Then I got a new doctor and she took me off of it because she said it wasn't good for my system? and put me on retin-a micro 0.04%. It has cleared me up off and on again. I think it also made my face extremely dry, especially my chin. But I haven't used it in about a week and my face looks great! I recommend Tetracyline though but be careful while taking it and get ready for a back-up plan if it fails or you have to get off of it.
    hope this helps!

Last edited by Green1; 08-13-2004 at 09:37 AM.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:30 AM   #4
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hey green1, how long did it take for your skin to become flawless on tetracycline? how long after you went off the tetra did you pimples come back? thanks

Old 08-14-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
    smyth

smyth HB User

Hi guys, ive been on tetracycline for goin on 11 months and im still gettin a few outbreaks to this day, but i must admit if i wasnt taking it my skin would be alot lot worse.I recently went to benidorm and i only took 3 days worth instead of a weeks worth,(wot an idiot lol).It was maybe a few days after i got back i had a break out because id missed 4 days of medication which ****** me off , i still think im recoverin from that and its been about 4 weeks since i got back, i havent noticed any side-effects with the drugs just make sure u have them an hour before food or two hours after with plenty of water and(dont take with dairy products) and hopefully theyll work for u!GOOD LUCK

Old 08-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
    DrFunk

DrFunk HB User

Does tetracycline have an initial breakout and how much is it? I'm not to sure about all the health insurance stuff but how muich would it cost without health insurance?

Last edited by DrFunk; 08-15-2004 at 07:41 AM.

Old 08-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFunk
    Does tetracycline have an initial breakout and how much is it? I'm not to sure about all the health insurance stuff but how muich would it cost without health insurance?
    There is an initial breakout, but that is usually the case with any medication. The good news is that Tetracycline is very cheap, even without health insurance. You shouldn't pay more than $20 a bottle.

Old 08-15-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
    wishyouwerehere

wishyouwerehere HB User

Fury23 - I haven't had an initial breakout yet (its been about a week only), and my face seems to be getting better. Before the Tetra it was like I broke out more and more every morning when I looked in the mirror, but I'm happy to say that now it's beginning to heal!

I discovered that I can't take this med on an empty stomach because I'd vomit several times after I did. I read about it, and all the resources say that you shouldn't take Tetra with food because the food absorbs some of the medication. Do you guys think it'll still work alright if I take it with a cracker or two? Also, does it affect birth control? I heard that it does since it's an antibiotic

Old 08-15-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Post Re: Tetracycline?

sorry it took so long to respond. My acne cleared up in about 1-2 months. I remember it was right before my eighth grade graduation, I was so happy!!! But the acne came right back immediately when I got off of it. I'm thinking of asking my mother about getting back on it, even though I trying to do the natural thing to get rid of my acne, but my face has once again broke out unexpectedly and I start my Junior year in September, I'm worried......

Last edited by Green1; 08-15-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Old 08-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hey guys, thanks for the reply green1, i'm sorry to hear your acne came right back after getting off the tetra...i wonder if that happens to everyone? (probably because antibiotics arn't supposed to last forever or be a cure). Drfunk, i didnt have an initial breakout with the tetra...which is a very good thing(i don't think i could have handled one...lol)

Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
    DrFunk

DrFunk HB User

Thats good x.....at the start of the summer I was really bad, then I started taking B5 and cleared up nicely, but it has come back with a vengence even as I take the B5, so I dont knwo what to do....my dad told me he took tetra way back in the day so I would like to try it? are there any side effects and what would u do in my situation?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hey drfunk, i tried b5 a while ago and at first it worked without an initial breakout, then i ran out of b5 and didnt get some till like 3 weeks later, i started taking them again and i began to breakout, so i stopped using them. tetracycline is used for a variety of things not just acne and there are side effects just like any other anitbiotic. some side effects include: upset stomach, nausea, headache, diarrhea, increase in sensitivity to sunlight(so always wear a sunscreen), staining of your teeth, and you shouldnt use tetra longer than perscribed because you could get a bladder problem. i've been on tetra for almost a month and have not experienced any side effects yet. its too early to tell but i have faith in the tetra that it will work. before you go on any antibiotics make sure you have tried different things because something out there could work for you such as diet, topical meds or other vitamins like zinc, vitamin a, vitamin c, msm, etc. but if you have tried different things then you could give tetracycline a try because its not as harmful as other antibiotics like accutane. good luck xoxo

Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #13
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wishyouwerehere
    Fury23 - I haven't had an initial breakout yet (its been about a week only), and my face seems to be getting better. Before the Tetra it was like I broke out more and more every morning when I looked in the mirror, but I'm happy to say that now it's beginning to heal!

I discovered that I can't take this med on an empty stomach because I'd vomit several times after I did. I read about it, and all the resources say that you shouldn't take Tetra with food because the food absorbs some of the medication. Do you guys think it'll still work alright if I take it with a cracker or two? Also, does it affect birth control? I heard that it does since it's an antibiotic
    I won't absorb as well if you take it with food, but if you must, avoid any dairy, which will seriously hinder the antibiotics ability to absorb.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
    FoxFire0114

FoxFire0114 HB User

I've been on both before at different times. I found that tetracyclines helped ...but i couldn't stand the side effects-dizziness and sensitivity to sun-

Now i'm just on Retin-A cream.. its been 3 months and i've seen big improvements. i still get a few zits but its not as bad as it use to be.

SIDE EFFECT of retin a---
    i have somewhat fair skin so for awhile my skin was red. but as your skin gets use to the med, the redness goes away. you'll also might have dryness and flaking of the skin. I had to deal with it for awhile since my skin was so red and sensitive. but afterwards just using a mild scrub (Nivea Cleansing Cream) will help keep your skin from looking flaky. So, you're on two good products that'll help reduce acne lesions and scarring. Hope I could help!

Old 08-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #15
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User

well ive been on tetracycline for a year ive seen a little improvment at first but then it didnt seem to do much for me so i went to see my doctor and he took me off it and put me on erythromycin i also use bp 10% everyday he also said i need to see a skin speacilist for stronger medication

Closed Thread