It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Will I get perscribed to accutane?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User
    Will I get perscribed to accutane?

I am 17 years old and have had acne since I was about 13. I have been on amoxicillan, doxycycline, minocycline, and also some topical stuff like differin and clyndamiacin. (sp?) Nothing has cleared my acne. In fact, I think all that **** is making it worse. My first month on differin was the worst month of my life. On my last trip to the doctor he put me on minocycline and said if there was no improvement in 6 weeks to schedual a dermatologist appointment and get perscribed to accutane becuase he said he could see me beginning to scar on my cheeks. Not cool. Well suprise suprise, the minocylcine isn't doing anything so my mom called the dermatologist. My dermatologist appointment is in 1 week. I don't have the worst case of acne in history, but its definetly far from clear, its beginning to scar, and nothing else is working. Do you think he will put me on accutane? This is my first derm appointment ever so I have a feeling hes gunna pull some other treatment out of his *** and have me try it before he puts me on accutane. I've heard stories of dermatologists telling people to wait a year before they put them on accutane. If my derm says that, I seriously don't know what I will do. I cannot live like this much longer, its ruining my life. What do I do to get put on accutane? If he suggests trying something else first what should I say? I've read probably 10 accutane journals and I am positive I want to try it. Thanks for reading this. Help!

Last edited by midimaster2099; 08-16-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User
    Re: Will I get perscribed to accutane?

Given your extensive history with antiobiotics and topicals, I expect your dermatologist will agree to prescribe accutane. When I first when on accutane, my condition was extremely superficial, but my derm consented to my request for accutane because of the durability of my problem.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

My experience with a derm is they will get you to just about try everything they can before they put you on accutane.Accutane is only supposed to be used in acne when all other drugs and topicals fail to work.It took me months to get accutane because he wanted to try everything else before giving it to me.Accutane is a really strong drug.Make sure you tell him the other stuff youve used.If he doesnt want to give it to you ,tell him you'll find someone who will .Take care.

Old 08-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

Ok thank you for responding I appreciate it. I will tell him that.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #5
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

You are in near the exact situation as i am. Im going to the derm next tuesday the 24th to request accutane. I have tryed pretty much the same antibiotics as you have. Im not sure how bad your acne is but I have the oilyest skin around its plain disgusting. I have three cysts right now on my jawline. They have been there for 4 weeks and are purple/blackish now. They are very painfull. I get painfull nodule acne assisted with larger than normal pustules. I have had enough and can't stand it anymore. If I don't get accutane there willl be hell to pay. Keep me posted hey if we are lucky we may both get accutane and can start a journal together.

Last edited by Crapple67; 08-16-2004 at 05:13 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
    Pilky
    (male)

Pilky HB User

I'm also in the same situation kinda. Like others, my acne is not the worst in the world. But its bad enough for me. Anyways, i do have health insurance now, but i will be getting laid off from work soon (Sept) and i will be loosing my insurance. They call you back around January once i get back in, im goin to the derm. im just gonna tell him straigh up, i want Accutane if he says no, i will politely tell him either he gives it to me or i will find a derm. that will.

Pilk.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Usually when u have tried anti biotics with no sucess even if its not servere that person would be prescribed accutane.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crapple67
    You are in near the exact situation as i am. Im going to the derm next tuesday the 24th to request accutane. I have tryed pretty much the same antibiotics as you have. Im not sure how bad your acne is but I have the oilyest skin around its plain disgusting. I have three cysts right now on my jawline. They have been there for 4 weeks and are purple/blackish now. They are very painfull. I get painfull nodule acne assisted with larger than normal pustules. I have had enough and can't stand it anymore. If I don't get accutane there willl be hell to pay. Keep me posted hey if we are lucky we may both get accutane and can start a journal together.
    lol yeah that would be cool...if we get lucky that is!

Old 08-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiselPower4
    Usually when u have tried anti biotics with no sucess even if its not servere that person would be prescribed accutane.
    ok good becuase im like the antibiodic master, if they put me on any more im gunan die the next sickness i get becuase ill be immune to every antibiodic known to man

Old 08-16-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
    karigirl

karigirl HB User

you know...antibiotics really shouldnt be taken for long periods of time for that exact reason.....my acne was its worst when i was 12 or 13..they put me on tetracycline for 2 years!!!! it all came back by that time of course. last time they put me on minocin, it had no effect...all this crap they give you is so temporary.
    anyways i hear being on antibiotics for long periods of time can be damaging to your system...

Old 08-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

yeah it is, because it kills all the bacteria it comes in contact with, even the friendly kind. while they are killing bad bacteria they also kill the "friendly" bacteria that your body needs. i know there is a "friendly" bacteria that has somethign to do with the lining of your stomach and the antibiodics kill it, messing your stomach up pretty bad after long time use of the antibiodics.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:48 PM   #12
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karigirl
    you know...antibiotics really shouldnt be taken for long periods of time for that exact reason.....my acne was its worst when i was 12 or 13..they put me on tetracycline for 2 years!!!! it all came back by that time of course. last time they put me on minocin, it had no effect...all this crap they give you is so temporary.
    anyways i hear being on antibiotics for long periods of time can be damaging to your system...
    when you realized the minocin wasnt working, did you go on accutane?

Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #13
    kRiStEnxO

kRiStEnxO HB User

I went to the dermatologist for the first time 2 months ago and they put me on retin a micro and clindamycin and an antibiotic. It wasn't really helping and it had gotten to the point where I didn't want to leave the house so I went back to the derm a few weeks later and told her that it was really effecting me and she said I could go for the accutane so if you just tell them how much you really want this and you're history with things not working they should prescribe it...i've been on it 3 weeks and haven't had any bad side effects or anything...just a rash for a few days and sore back and dry skin but it should be worth it in the end. Good luck..

Last edited by kRiStEnxO; 08-16-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 PM   #14
    midimaster2099

midimaster2099 HB User

ok ill tell him that, hopefully he will have pity on me! thanks

Old 08-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #15
    King of Cheese

King of Cheese HB User

I have had bad acne sine abt 12 and been on roaccutane twice. I found all the other antibiotics quite useless though the creams worked a little. My acne was so bad I had big lumps and silly kids at school would ask if I had been punched. It sounds like you probably will be put on roaccutane but there are some bad side effects.
    Roaccutane gave me dry skin & dry lips, made my eyes swell up which I needed another antibiotic to control (& made it look like I had been fighting). And made me feel rather depressed, and it gets worse before it gets better.
    After a year after 1st course acne came back bad again but side effects wern't as bad on 2nd course.
    I am 20 now still get acne but not as bad as before I dont get big lumps now.

Closed Thread