It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Help...Getting Cysts Again...I thought I was finished with this nonsense!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
    wazzup
    (female)

wazzup HB User
    Help...Getting Cysts Again...I thought I was finished with this nonsense!

Hi everyone,

I haven't really visited this site much since my acne was nicely under control. All of a sudden, these past couple of weeks, BOOM! I have gotten many new cysts, and I just don't understand why! Since the age of 11 I have had acne and oily skin. I have been to various good dermatologists who have kept the acne under control with topicals and anti-biotics. There were periods where my acne was really bad, and times where I was zit free and looking beautiful. When I was around 21, my acne got very bad to the point where it was cystic, and I had to go on accutane. The Accutane dried up all the oils, and my initial breakout was HORRIBLE. I got HUGE, painful cysts all over my face, and still have some scarring 4 years later. I was also on a birth control pill along with the Accutane not because I was planning on conceiving, but to regulate my hormones, since I have a hormonal disorder called PCOS. I am sure several women on this site also have PCOS or are aware of this disorder. It is a disorder in which a female produces too much testosterone and androgens, which as a result cause acne and oily skin. Anyways, after an agonizing 6 months, my skin was flawless. No acne, no oily skin. Aside from few MINOR breakouts afterwards, which went away very quickly, my skin remained zit free for a couple of years, aside from the monthly cyst or breakout. Little by little though, the oils did return. Personally, I don't care so much about oily skin as I do about breakouts. I am not sure if it was the Accutane or the BCP that helped clear my acne. Maybe it was a bit of both. I DO in fact know that I got some horrible side effects from the accutane including very dry skin, dry lips, and dry nose, weight loss, and constant headaches. At the end though, the treatment was worth it, even though I was breaking out throughout the treatment, and only saw the benefits once I was OFF the drug. Right now, I am also off BCP's which in the past were used to control my acne and my PCOS. I am off of them due to the fact that the BCP's also gave me some health problems, which are now fixed, but I don't want to resort to them anymore, since they aren't safe for me. Today, August 23, 2004 my face is a mess! I am getting cysts where I haven't gotten them before, on the sides of my face. I am getting quite nervous and distressed over this. I am now 25, and acne should be the last thing on my mind. Without the acne I am a very attractive young woman, and whenever I break out, it just ruins my whole day. I don't know what else to do, and I refuse to go back on Accutane or use BCP's. I don't think that a person's health and wellbeing is worth being sacrificed over acne, even bad acne. I need to know if there are any SAFE, yet EFFECTIVE ways to combat cystic, painful acne that just seems to pop up unpredictably. I would feel so much better knowing that someone else is in this predicament and understands the torment I am going through. May we all one day SOON find a cure to this annoying skin disease! Thanks guys, I just needed to vent!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User
    Re: Help...Getting Cysts Again...I thought I was finished with this nonsense!

Well from your information it sounds like the Accutane has worn off. This is actually very common in a lot of people. Itís hard to say what to do without bringing up going back on Accutane. You can try the creams and basic methods of getting rid of acne, but if it doesnít get any better, the only real cure would probably be Accutane.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
    wazzup
    (female)

wazzup HB User

Anyone have any responses, ideas, or suggestions?

Old 08-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
    Steuby

Steuby HB User

Haven't you ever had Spiro suggested to you? It's supposed to be VERY good for cystic acne and if you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you should have no trouble getting a script, as that's one of the main things it's used for. There have been many posts on here about Spiro....do a search and read some of them. There's one on the first page right now from someone who suffered with cystic acne and is now completely cleared up.

It doesn't have any serious side effects and can be taken long term.
    Good luck

Old 08-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
    wazzup
    (female)

wazzup HB User

Thanks John and Steuby....I have tried birth control pills in the past and I do believe that they helped keep my acne under control, though I did get a BAD initial breakout with Orthytricyclen. I have also used Yasmin, which I believe cause me to have some health issued, which are now taken care of. I have heard pretty good things about Spirinolactone and cystic acne, but if it has similar side effects and the BCP's I just don't want to risk it. That's why I asked is anyone knows of any HEALTHY, more holistic approaches towards dealing with cystic acne, rather than turning to more conventional, potentionnal dangerous means. Any opinions, feedbacks, or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
    sunshine919

sunshine919 HB User

Your story sounds much like mine with the ups and downs. I used to use this board a couple years ago (I was 21 - 23 now) when I was going through a horrible acne episode. Although I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, I know my acne is hormone related. For basically the past 7 years I have been on a BCP. The most recent one was Yasmin. I gained about 20 pounds and did not like how I felt on the pill - I was on it for about 2 years. I stopped taking the pill about 3 months ago. Immediately I started breaking out with cysts. It made me feel awful.

So, I started seeing a Naturopathic Doctor. I proceeded to receive weekly acupuncture sessions for the past 2 months. I am now going biweekly. I have also just started taking Saw Palmetto 320mg, Pygeum africanum 100mg, Pumpkin seed oil 1000mg, and flax seed oil 1200mg per day - that is only 4 pills to swallow each day. Nothing excessive. Nothing in excess will work long term, just remember that point. If you cannot afford acupuncture - it is about $65 per session for me, I would suggest start taking the herbs. This is a natural way for your body to suppress the male hormones causing your acne. Saw Palmetto has the same mechanism of action as Spiro. But is an all natural, more safe was to regulate those androgens, DHT, and DHT receptors that are causing acne.

I do not have any cysts on my face right now - and no new pimples either. Feels pretty good. I think I have given the acupuncture enough time to really stabilize my body and ongoing treatment will help to keep it this way. It has take a good 3 months. Also, these herbs can do absolutely no harm. The worse case scenario is after 60 days you won't see a change at all. Hopefully though, they will START helping within 30-45 days.

Please try this. You can get the herbs through Puritan's Pride. Get the standardized extract of Saw Palmetto - one softgel is 320mg. Trust me, there are no soaps or topicals that come close to helping what is going on INSIDE your body. I do still use some topical treatments. I use a salicylic acid 2% face wash morning and night. I use persagel bp when needed. I also use hydrating B5 gel.

I hope my advice is taken and you get better. I know how it feels and its a bummer to be in that place. I am dealing with it. Give it some time like I said and I have a feeling it will work. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
    NVR2L8
    (female)

NVR2L8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wazzup
    Hi everyone,

I haven't really visited this site much since my acne was nicely under control. All of a sudden, these past couple of weeks, BOOM! I have gotten many new cysts, and I just don't understand why! Since the age of 11 I have had acne and oily skin. I have been to various good dermatologists who have kept the acne under control with topicals and anti-biotics. There were periods where my acne was really bad, and times where I was zit free and looking beautiful. When I was around 21, my acne got very bad to the point where it was cystic, and I had to go on accutane. The Accutane dried up all the oils, and my initial breakout was HORRIBLE. I got HUGE, painful cysts all over my face, and still have some scarring 4 years later. I was also on a birth control pill along with the Accutane not because I was planning on conceiving, but to regulate my hormones, since I have a hormonal disorder called PCOS. I am sure several women on this site also have PCOS or are aware of this disorder. It is a disorder in which a female produces too much testosterone and androgens, which as a result cause acne and oily skin. Anyways, after an agonizing 6 months, my skin was flawless. No acne, no oily skin. Aside from few MINOR breakouts afterwards, which went away very quickly, my skin remained zit free for a couple of years, aside from the monthly cyst or breakout. Little by little though, the oils did return. Personally, I don't care so much about oily skin as I do about breakouts. I am not sure if it was the Accutane or the BCP that helped clear my acne. Maybe it was a bit of both. I DO in fact know that I got some horrible side effects from the accutane including very dry skin, dry lips, and dry nose, weight loss, and constant headaches. At the end though, the treatment was worth it, even though I was breaking out throughout the treatment, and only saw the benefits once I was OFF the drug. Right now, I am also off BCP's which in the past were used to control my acne and my PCOS. I am off of them due to the fact that the BCP's also gave me some health problems, which are now fixed, but I don't want to resort to them anymore, since they aren't safe for me. Today, August 23, 2004 my face is a mess! I am getting cysts where I haven't gotten them before, on the sides of my face. I am getting quite nervous and distressed over this. I am now 25, and acne should be the last thing on my mind. Without the acne I am a very attractive young woman, and whenever I break out, it just ruins my whole day. I don't know what else to do, and I refuse to go back on Accutane or use BCP's. I don't think that a person's health and wellbeing is worth being sacrificed over acne, even bad acne. I need to know if there are any SAFE, yet EFFECTIVE ways to combat cystic, painful acne that just seems to pop up unpredictably. I would feel so much better knowing that someone else is in this predicament and understands the torment I am going through. May we all one day SOON find a cure to this annoying skin disease! Thanks guys, I just needed to vent!

My doc told me that too. My body produces too much testosterone. He didnt say anything about PCOS. I wonder why. Did you hair shed too?? Mine is all over the place. I started taking spiro 2 years ago and stopped about 6 months ago. It is back now. I am breaking out and my hair is oily and my face too. I am getting another script for the spiro today. I really dont like this. I am 34. I need to see if there is anything else they can do. I dont wanna have to be on this stuff forever or until i decide to get a hysterectomy. I want one more kid.

Let me know what you decide to do. I would ask about spiro or start taking those herbs that one person was talking about.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User

hey everyone...
    this is a really interesting thread for me....ive dealt with acne since the age of 11...i decided to go on bcp when i was 19...i went off and boom had 2 cysts that did not go away and i never had cysts before, just regular acne...anyways, i went back on bcp and still suffered with cysts until after 6 months, then things started to clear..my doc switched my bcp and things got crazy again..then worse and worse...finally, after a year of debating and research i went on accutane...i just finished in august and im 21 almost 22 now...my skin looks great, still some scarring but not much at all...
    BUT....i had an ultrasound done about a month ago cuz ive been suspicious about having pcos..sure enough my ultrasound came back which "suggested" pcos..so its not a full diagnosis yet..i got a referral to a obgyn, which isnt until january...i was really upset when i got the news cuz i am one who has dreamt about having children and now i may have difficulties...but it does explain the persistant acne issue...its a really awkward and weird syndrome (pcos) and there is no cure, only meds to control the symtoms, but i hate being on meds...esp. bcp...
    my skin is great for now, but who knows it may return....and when and if it does i dont want meds...id rather have a more natural approach to fighting it cuz i too believe in the inside aspect rather than topicals...
    plus, im not planning on getting pregnant for a long time, stil have plenty of school ahead of me...but when i am ready im terrified that my acne will come back full force when i go off bc...but what can i do if im trying to have a baby....
    i would love to see a naturalpathic dr but i cant afford it...
    i just wanted to tell my story and that i too am suffering from acne and pcos and am looking for advice/options/suggestions about the issue
    thanks!

good luck to all!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
    Nopales
    (female)

Nopales HB User

My former dermatologist wouldn't put me on Accutane again after skin broke out post-Accutane treatment. He believed that if it didn't work the first time around, it would not work the second time around.

I ended up clearing up my skin (including cystic acne) with altering my diet, as well as taking up yoga and trying to mitigate stress in my life. If you aren't having success with traditional medicine- perhaps a naturopathic dr. could help you. They often look at how your body is working as a whole- and treat the source of the problem, not just the symptoms. (And acne is usually a symptom that something else in your body is out of balance- i.e. PCOS)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
    barbyydoll40
    (female)

barbyydoll40 HB User

I haven't been able to do anything to control the cysts other than birth control. Currently I am on tetracycline and still get the cysts. my dermatologist injects hem with kenalog and they disappear within 24 hours but it's hard to get to the doctor constantly. The kenalog has saved me from despair many times!!! It ges injected right into the cyst.

Closed Thread