It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Has anyone else tried minocycline & clindamycin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
    ellie40
    (female)

ellie40 HB User
    Has anyone else tried minocycline & clindamycin

Well I finally got in to see my dermatologist after waiting months to get an appointment. I have an HMO that only has two dermatologists. As usual my visit was rushed and I was in there a whole 5 minutes! I explained to her that for years I have had severe back and chest acne and all the different treatments I have tried. She didnt even ask to look at my back, I made her take a look and see how bad the acne and scarring is. She said I could go on accutane which I told her I'm not interested in (not to keen on all the different side effects). She then said my only other option to try was minocycline (I had been on doxycycline a few years back but it was too harsh on my stomach) along with a topical clindamycin phosphate lotion. So I'm now going to try this route. Was wondering if others have had success being on minocycline and if you had any bad side effects? As for the scarring she said mine is pretty bad and the option I would have to go is laser treatments (which insurance does not cover) and even that would only minimize some of the scarring. The topical clindamycin is such a small bottle and I have a big area to cover (chest and back) I will probably go through this bottle in 2 weeks time! But will give it a try and hope it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
    Steuby

Steuby HB User
    Re: Has anyone else tried minocycline & clindamycin

My daughter was on monocycline a few years back and it helped her VERY
    much. But she used it along with differin....so sometimes it's hard to know which thing you're using helped. But I think you should see improvement. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
    rocknroll1234

rocknroll1234 HB User
    Re: Has anyone else tried minocycline & clindamycin

I used Mino for nearly 8 months I think. It started of working really well but around the 6 or 7 month I decided that even though Mino was keeping my skin clearer than it had been before taking it, it wasn't going to get me clear. I didn't have any side effects but probably wasn't on it long enough to notice.

The doc reccomended I try another antibiotic. I am now on Erytromycin with Dalacin T topical.

This combo is working far better. At one point I hadn't had a pimple in 2 weeks....yay! I got quite a few at the moment cause I had been drinking 2 days straight and eating junk food.

Remember different antibiotics work for different people in different ways.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 08-24-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread