It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro initial breakout?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
    Kelly1212

Kelly1212 HB User
    Smile Spiro initial breakout?

Firstly hi I'm new to this board but defienetely not new to acne! or new to acne boards.I've been reading here for a while and i can finally post here now! I'm 21 and have been dealing with acne since i was 15.I've tried tons of things including accutane twice.
    I'm thinking about trying spiro.

Just wondered;those who are or who have been on spiro,how long was it until your skin cleared?Is there any of you that it didn't work for?And did you have an initial breakout on it and if so,how long for?

Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
    Kelly1212

Kelly1212 HB User
    Re: Spiro initial breakout?

Hi
    Can anyone help me with my questions?
    Also,i read on another board about some people taking spiro and suffering from hair loss as a side-effect;does anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks

Old 08-31-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
    amy07

amy07 HB User

I know my response won't be too much help, but i've been on spiro for about a week and a half and i broke out a few days ago, but then again I think thats because I also started my period a few days ago (and I ALWAYS break out around those times), so hopefully the spiro will start kicking into gear to clear me up. My derm did tell me to give it a month to see results though. Sorry I wasn't much help!

The Following User Says Thank You to amy07 For This Useful Post:
    clear me (11-06-2012)
    Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

Really, I don't believe that the people on this board have had an initial breakout period with the spiro. I think most of the breakouts woud just be coencidendal... I personally didn't have an initial breakout. Good luck with it!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
    kta
    (female)

kta HB User

Does spiro make your skin less oily?

Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
    Toile

Toile HB User

Spiro made me very oily for 2 weeks.
    Now I have no oil and only the very rare pimple that heals in one day.
    So far this is great

Old 08-31-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
    kta
    (female)

kta HB User

I have so much oil on my face. It's horrible. So anyways, if I start spiro and stick to it, then my face will eventually get less oily?

Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

What dosage of Spiro are all of you guys on? What type of acne do/did you have before you started?

I was just prescribed Spiro on Monday and my derm only wrote it for 25mg. He said it can always go up if I don't see results, but that will just take longer! I guess patience is a virtue, but after dealing with acne for 7 years, I am kinda antsy for something that works!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

I have naturally very oily skin too... The spiro has made all the difference in the world. My skin and hair don't get oily at all, even when I have been sweating a lot! I am on 200mg. I had moderate acne, including on my back. It took a while for me to see substantial improvement in my acne, but the oiliness was reduced in a couple of weeks. Now my acne is much much better. I do get a zit or two here or there, but not like before, and they are no longer cysts. Overall, I have been quite happy with the spiro.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
    dceptiveophelia
    (female)

dceptiveophelia HB User

Sprio sounds like it might be able to help me out as well. Does anyone know if only dermatologists can prescribe it? Usually my OB/GYN gives me prescriptions for the acne products I want to try, so I hope I can just ask her. Thanks, guys!

Old 09-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

You actually might have an easier time getting your ob/gyn to prescribe it since it affects your hormones. My dermo referred me to an endocrinologist to prescribe it.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

girls.......testosterone is making your face breakout.even though im a guy i know what is going on with you.your testosterone level rises right before you get your period.thats when you feel most sexual.testosterone is your sex hormone......without it you cannot feel sex.i have been on spiro for almost 2 years now.my skin does not breakout at all..im very close to be chemical casterated.i had suffered 27 years with severe acne.derm sites are starting to put testosterone as the cause instead of androgens even though they are the same.spiro is an anti-androgen...it will not make your skin more oily.you must take it everyday.if im sterile than i will finally be cured of my acne.i will also not be able to have sexual intercourse or feel sexy because i have no sex hormone.it will make both male and female feel less sexual.this is how this drug works.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:58 PM   #13
    kta
    (female)

kta HB User

Any side effects with spiro, besides not being able to feel sexy? LOL

Last edited by kta; 09-02-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

kta~

The only side effect I have had is that it has dropped my blood pressure a good bit, so I just have to monitor it so that I don't start passing out. Additionally, I have to be careful about not getting dehydrated as I get headaches then. Particularly since I am very active and sweat a lot. As for the "feeling sexy" I have had no problems in that department, thankfully. My DBF would not go for that - he would certainly begin to protest. My libido seems to be about the same.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #15
    kta
    (female)

kta HB User

Thanks Kikki!

Closed Thread