It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Just got back from the derm....Spiro & Differin!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User
    Just got back from the derm....Spiro & Differin!

Hey Y'all!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my "Help! I'm in a wedding this Saturday" thread! The wedding was beautiful, even though my skin wasn't (Thank GOD for makeup!!)

Anyways, I just got back from the derm with 2 new prescriptions. My face has been horrible so, thankfully, my derm got to see first-hand what I have been dealing with! I walked in there prepared with handouts about Spironolactone and he prescribed me a version called Aldactone (sp?), but only wrote it for 25mg. Will such a low dose even make a difference at all? Will I have an initial breakout? Is it ok to take with Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo or should I be using a different BCP? I forgot to ask him before I left!

My other prescription was for Differin cream. Has anyone had success with it? I had been using Duac, which worked great, but I think my skin was starting to develop a tolerance to it.

Here's hoping that all of these new prescriptions do the trick!
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
    Steuby

Steuby HB User
    Re: Just got back from the derm....Spiro & Differin!

The spiro will be fine along with OTC-Lo birth control....in fact one of the side effects of the spiro is to mess with your cycles and the pill can help to keep it regulated. I don't know about the dosage of the spiro....it seems pretty low.

My daughter used differin for quite a while with great success. It never irritated her skin. A lot of people do report an initial breakout with Differin, but if you stick with it, you'll probably have good results. It seems with Differin, people either hate it or love it.
    GOOD LUCK

Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I have never tried spiro, but I have used differin. Like Steuby said, people either love it or hate it. I personally hated it because it irriated my skin. I have very sensitive skin to begin with. I do think that if it wasn't so harsh on my skin, it would've been great because it did help keep me clear for a while. Good luck with your medications!

Old 08-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

I am on 200 mg of spiro, but I know that there are several people who have been on low doses of spiro (25-50mg) and have had good results. They seem to say it takes longer to see a difference, but with the addition of the birth control to further balance your hormones, you very well may see good results. Besides, after a few months you are seeing results, but still aren't clear, the spiro can always go up...

Old 08-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

I started on 50mg of spiro and noticed improvement right away. But when I added otc lo 2 months later my skin was a wreck...
    I'm one of the people that loves Differin cream! No irritation and my skin is super sensitive. But it did take at least 12 weeks before I saw results. I'm soooo disappointed right now because I had to stop using Differin for like 5 days while my skin recovered from a bad reaction to a new morning topical, and now my face is SO broken out. Ugh!

Old 08-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Thanks everyone for responding!

I got 30 days worth of the spiro and 1 refill. So, my derm said we'll see how my acne reacts to the 25mg and he can up the dosage if I need it. Personally, I would rather start on a low dose than worry about getting side effects from a high dose.

As far as the Differin goes, I hope I don't get too much irritation. I have used so many topicals in the past (Retin-A 0.05%, Retin-A Micro 0.1%, Duac) that my skin is used to them!

I'm hoping the combination of OTC-Lo, Spiro, and Differin I am on will start clearing me up before my senior year of college starts on Sept. 22nd!

Any other inputs??

Old 08-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
    Pilky
    (male)

Pilky HB User

I'v used differin before and didnt like it, only because it made my skin red and VERY dry.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Nope it wasn't my first topical. I was on retin-a before and then a couple things in between, then differin gel and finally differin cream. It has helped some with blackheads but not completely. (But I also have some unresolved big time hormone problems...) I never ever get zits though.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Yeah the cream is so much gentler. I was really hesitant to try it since the gel irritated my skin but my derm convinced me and I'm so glad she did I'm taking Desogen right now. My skin was also good on Yasmin but I was sick to my stomach on it...

Old 08-31-2004, 09:19 AM   #10
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Any other opinions about Spiro (25mg) and Differin cream (0.1%)?

Also, any other girls out there switch BCP's from Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo to regular OTC, Yasmin, or another brand? Did you still get an initial breakout before things got better?

Thanks y'all!

Closed Thread