It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• nonbelievers & believers of diet/acne connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #16
    Chomie

Chomie HB User
    Re: nonbelievers & believers of diet/acne connection

I have been doing the whole "good eating" thing for 3 weeks. 3 weeks and no coffee. Thought I was going to die. Skin started healing .... Then I ate pork two and beef three days in a row .... Now my skin looks like **it. I am really starting to believe this stuff. Bought some wheat grass to help with alkalinity and balance the bodies ph. We will. No more pork or beef. Have lot of scars but as long as no more breakouts they will heal. Time will tell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

forgot to mention...

if you are going to change your diet, do it SLOWLY overtime. it's not easy to change over 20 years of eating poorly overnight.

i had gone into it full-throttle. i suffered physically and emotionally; lost a lot of weight and was agitated/angry from not knowing what to eat and feeling hungry all the time. i recommend beginning slowly; cutting out the most obvious skin offenders (greasy, fast, processed foods, sweets/desserts) and then DECREASING the less obvious (dairy, simple carbs like pasta and bread). perhaps simply REDUCING would be enough to help your skin. if not, continue to eliminate more. and give it time, at least a few months.

i don't think anyone should deprive themselves completely of "bad" food. i mean, if you CAN, good for you! but i am someone who has a MAJOR sweet tooth. i also LOVE bread and cheese. i really don't want to give up treating myself once in a while. i've gone from "cheating" a few times a week to once every two weeks or so. what i do usually is if i know i have social plans (like a party or dinner out) i'll make that night my "cheat" night and won't touch a thing of "bad" food until then. i then when i do i try to control myself, like just have one piece of cake instead of 2 or 3 (my previous usualy portions...gosh i was such a glutton with desserts)

Old 09-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #18
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

sorry keep forgetting to mention stuff...

thought i'd share some of my other tips, that i've read about. i had posted this in a previous post but i'll repeat it again. for the past couple of months i've been doing the following:

1. drink lemon juice
    theory is that lemon juice helps the body/liver detoxify. first thing when i wake up and a few hours before bed, i drink the juice of half a lemon. i wash it down with a glass or two of water. lemon juice is also considered a health benefit by "the ph miracle" book and macrobiotics.

2. avoid drinking around meal times
    theory is, people with acne might have impaired food digestion/vitamin absorption. drinking fluids with meals excaserbates this. so i've been trying to not drink any fluid AT LEAST an hour before and an hour after meals. in between those times i drink A LOT of water. this too is considered a health benefit by "the ph miracle" book and macrobiotics.

3. flax seed oil (NOT the stuff in capsules)
    i had been taking the capsules but you have to take so much of it (3 pills 3 times a day) to get the daily dosage. i wasn't keeping up with it. so i decided to just force myself to get the oil itself and drink it (despite how nasty it tastes). i take 1 - 2 tablespoons a day, shortly after meals.

4. eating more vegetables
    for a long time i had been alternating between some kind of bean/brown rice combo and some kind of salad/vegetables for a meal. then i came across the "the ph miracle." it short, it says all disease/ailments are caused by an imbalanced diet causing your body to be too ACIDIC and thus prone to infections, diseases, etc. the body should be ALKALINE. certain foods cause acidity (which of course, are the obvious bad foods; simple carbs, processed food, sugars, etc) while others cause alkalinity (mostly vegetables, lemons, limes). so they say every meal should consist of approx 80% vegetable and 20% other (meat, bean, rice, etc). so i started having salad with vegetables as part of EVERY meal and then the bean/rice combo as a small SIDE dish. i'm not doing the 80/20 percentage. i'm more at 60/40.

things i've noticed since doing these things:
    -boost in energy
    -when i do get blemishes they seem to heal faster, given of course that after i "cheat" i go straight back to the diet

Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 PM   #19
    kiwichick

kiwichick HB User

I disagree, I don't think there is a link between food and acne. I had BAD cystic acne for years and was told that I needed to stop eating so much junk food, the problem was that I didn't eat alot of junk food. I took accutane and have since had good skin and I eat very well, lots of fruit, veges, water but occasionally I have fast food or junk and hasn't affected my acne, basically what I am trying to say is that I haven't changed my diet from when I had acne to now so for me I don't feel that diet has had any connection with my acne. I do however believe that diet has a huge impact on other health issues, weight gain, behaviour etc. People have different opinions on the diet/acne relationship, some Drs say yes and some say no, I can only go from my personal experience which is no.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #20
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Yep, I totally agree with you.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:59 AM   #21
    Paracelsus

Paracelsus HB User

there is obviously some connection between diet and acne, though not a causal one. i have been eating clean for two years now. when i say clean i mean i only eat yams, squash, spinach, greens, olive oil, tuna, salmon, eggs, and nuts, and nearly nothing else, and no cheating. Nutrient partitioning is perfect- 1.5:1 n-3:n-6 fatty acid ratio, 1:1 Na:K, etc.

I've also been through 600g of b5- not quite working yet. Going to bump to 20g b5 per day.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 AM   #22
    rocknroll1234

rocknroll1234 HB User

Well people can say that there is no correlation between food and acne. I know that if today I had burger king for lunch and then KFC for dinner that I would wakeup with a huge *** spot(s).

People say that its not scientifically proven that certain foods cause acne. Well hey they say asprin etc is really good for you one year and people should take it once a day to lower risk of heart attacks or whatever and then the next year you have some person on the news saying that they have discovered it's bad for a lot of people and certain people should stop taking it.

One year somethings good for you and the next year they have 'discovered' thats its bad for you.

So derm's etc can say not to worry about the food you eat, but then again if they just simply told you to change your diet before you consider taking antibiotics etc then they wouldn't be making the money off of the doctors visits and prescriptions.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 09-04-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 AM   #23
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

i don't think diet will work for EVERYONE. there will be some exceptions of course. but, i do think many people who are nonbelievers of the diet/acne connection who have tried eating healthy with no results THINK they were eating healthy but were really not.

for years and years i thought pasta and cheerios were GOOD for me. and my favorite vegetables and fruits where the ones high in starch and GI level (potatoes, carrots, bananas). not to say that these foods should never be eaten again. i believe in moderation would be ok. but again, it seems some people can be super sensitive to these types of food.

also i think for some people it will take more than just a few weeks to see results. considering 15+ years of eating poorly, i think it may take months for the body to "heal." and of course, it certaintly takes months to get disciplined on the diet.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #24
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

Excellent post, and very true!! Of course, the people who could really benefit from trying out a serious change in diet are often the people most resistant to doing it. There will always be non-believers.

My thoughts are, if you come to an acne boards looking for a solution to your acne problem, be open to try what people say works. Why is it that so many people toss diet aside claiming "diet has no affect whatsoever..." without giving it an honest try?

I am 26 and I did not make the connection to what a healthy diet was and how profound an effect it would have on my skin until this year. I only wish I had known to give it a try before doing accutane. I believe that Accutane is the main cause I have such horrible eyesight and constant chapped lips.

Congrats to all of you who have determined how diet affects your skin!

Old 09-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #25
    kiwichick

kiwichick HB User

Well, all I can say is that I don't believe that diet played any part in MY acne! Personal experience and my opinion only, I am not saying that you are wrong because you believe that it does, all I am saying is that in my experience it hasn't. I think idealist is right in saying that it is going to be different for everyone, we are all individuals and our bodies react differently to different things, so you can't say that diet and acne are linked for everyone. Maybe for you and thats great if you have found a way to reduce or clear your acne without medication, but it doesn't work for everyone. Indy gal, the people that I know that have suffered from acne, are willing to try anything in the hope that their acne will clear, and yes there will always be non-believers, but they are non-believers because it hasn't worked for them.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #26
    tulip75

tulip75 HB User

I think it depends on what is causing your acne. Not everyone has the same acne, so not everyone will benefit from the same cure.

Of course, a diet high in raw fruits and vegetables and low in processed food has enormous health benefits, so you can never go wrong with that.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #27
    boulder21

boulder21 HB User

Hey everyone -

I'm going to start a new thread for people to post recipes that are acne friendly!

Old 09-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #28
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Idealist,
    BRAVO! As many ways as I've tried to explain this creatively, I don't think I would have ever thought to phrase things the way you did. Yet, that's what so good about seeing other people work together & become passionate about this. I absolutely loved it! I found it very moving & considerate, and hopefully you will be able to reach even more people ;-)

Take care

P.S. The Ketogenic diet is what is used for Epileptics...hmm

Last edited by SweetJade1; 09-04-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:39 AM   #29
    Serrelind
    (female)

Serrelind HB User

It used to be I didn't believe a link between acne and diet, but now I'm a convert. When I started on a low carb diet (eating whole natural low glycemic food), I noticed my skin did get better. And also hanging around other low carbers (on another forum) who experienced this same thing, well it's hard to dispute the fact that eating junk sugary highly processed or high glycemic food causes insulin to spike which leads to inflammation on the skin and causes acne.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #30
    MrOwl
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MrOwl HB User

I first noticed a connection between by bowel functions and my acne. If I was having a quality stool at least once a day, then my face and shoulders were clear. If my stools were dry, I would soon have acne again.

Of course, the quality of your output is very related to the quality of your input. You can probably use the quality of your stools each day as a quick check to see if you are eating right and drinking enough. It is not fool proof, but might be an early indication that there might be a problem on the way.

When we were infants, our moms used to notice the quality of what we produced as a health check. (I do not know about all mothers, by my sisters told me my mom did.) If it was a valid check then, maybe we need to check ourselves everyday now that we are old enough to do that. If it is not in good, then we can immediately adjust our diet before the acne appears.

Diet is the key; our output can be a quick but not fool proof check.

Closed Thread