It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• nonbelievers & believers of diet/acne connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #46
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User
    Re: nonbelievers & believers of diet/acne connection

[QUOTE=SweetJade1]ForgottenFaith,
    While I think Idealist is handling this wonderfully, [QUOTE]

thanks sweetjade. and thanks for chiming in! you have a great way of explaining all the this stuff, especially more scientifically.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #47
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

regarding the internet as a source of info...i agree with everyone, it's a bad place AND it's a great place. yes, stick with .*** and .gov websites. many prestigious scientific and academic journals publish abracts and full articles online now.

do a search on google for the below keywords for some interesting articles:

"acne vulgaris: a disease of western civilization"
    the first link that comes up is from the National Library of Medicine about research done at Colorado Univ.

"acne and carbohydrates"
    the first link that comes up should be from the BBC News, an article from 2002 entitled "Bread linked to teenage acne." it talks about research that was done in the US.

"Acne and the Sugar Connection"
    the first link should be an article by Dr. Perricone (who, as many or you know, wrote the book, The Acne Perscription) on iVillage.

hope this helps!

"

Old 09-08-2004, 08:06 PM   #48
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indy gal
    Next best thing to what, trying a healthy diet? Personally, if something is wrong with me I want to treat the cause, not mask the problem.

yes!!! thank your for your post. i could not have said it better.

just want to remind everyone again, in my original post i mentioned how i've been on a number of other HEALTH related message boards, including diabetes, excessive sweating, hiruitism(excessive body hair), PCOS, etc. and MANY people have mentioned HELPING or ELIMINATING the symptoms related to these ailments by changing thier diet, specifically to low simple carb/low sugar.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #49
    idealist
    (female)

idealist HB User

forgottenfaith,

" Do you know how many people engage in bad eating habits? 80%+ (just throwing a figure out there) of the people in the United States would have acne."

have you noticed how many people who have bad eating habits, don't have acne, but are FAT. obesity is on the rise in the US, as well as type II diabeties, especially in children. again, the food eaten is going to manifest itself differently from person to person. i think we both agree on this.

"I've seen vegetarians and healthy eaters on here still have acne. Are you saying that it's an individual's fault for having acne, because they engage in bad eating habits, and they indulge on the wrong foods?"

well, i guess in a way i'm saying it's a person's fault. but that's NOT the point. the point i was trying to make is that people THINK they are eating healthy when they are really not. i've been a semi-vegetarian since about 15. at one point, i THOUGHT i was SO healthy simply because i didn't eat red meat. later, in my early 20s, i THOUGHT i was SO healthy because i was buying paul newmans brand of chips and salsa. and i THOUGHT i was SO healthy because i wasn't eating any fast food or pizza. but what WAS i eating? tons of pasta, pototoes, cheese, "healthy" cereals like cheerios, sandwiches, bananas.

i do agree with you that you shouldn't deprive yourself. i certainly don't. like i said before, i have a major sweet tooth, along with loving bread and cheese. i will have these foods OCCASIONALLY and in MODERATION (regarding the moderation...at least, i try...lol.)

Old 04-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #50
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

idealist,

Thank you so much for starting this thread. It took me nearly 30 years to become a believer and I feel like such an idiot for not making the connection sooner cause it seems so obvious now. After all, no one doubts the connection between diet and heart disease or diet and diabetes. Do you mean to tell me that foods are powerful enough to clog your arteries, damage your kidneys or your liver, and rot your teeth, but they can't affect to your skin? Give me a break. I think a big reason why so many people are still unconvinced is because they don't realize the full extent of what foods are unhealthy. I'll hear people say they quit eating greasy foods and foods with sugar, but they still have acne. Well maybe it's because you didn't eliminate all the bad foods or maybe you did, but you didn't stick with it long enough to see the results. I was like a lot of people. I believed that dairy products, whole wheat bread, and brown rice were safe. No one ever died from eating bread and milk. And the famous food pyramid told us these were good foods. Of course now I know the food pyramid is useless since it was designed by The Department of Agriculture, a department whose primary function is to protect the health of the food industry.

Now I realize just how powerful food really is. Millions of years of evolution have conditioned our bodies to run on certain foods, but now we feed ourselves foods that our bodies aren't quite equipped to handle. It's like if you took regular gasoline, changed it, added some new ingredients, and then put it in your car. Would you expect your car to run the same? Of course not. As far as acne is concerned, dermatologists have little credibility in this area. The practice of medicine is first and foremost a business. You won't last long if you're telling your patients to go home and stop eating certain foods. But you'll make a lot of money if you can get them to take one drug after another. And the drug company who makes the drug will reward you handsomely. But it's not always a case of doctor looking to make money off of you. Sometimes, they just don't know better. They're just doing what they've been taught. Unfortunately, what they've been taught isn't always right. Food corporations influence what's taught in nutrition classes in med school and drug companies influence research studies to skew the findings in their favor. Think about all this the next time your dismisses the diet/acne connection and then tells you to take accutane or some other pill.

Closed Thread