HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   Does Benzoyl Peroxide last? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/204713-does-benzoyl-peroxide-last.html)

johnsmith007 09-03-2004 12:55 PM

Does Benzoyl Peroxide last?

I was wondering, has anyone used Benzoyl Peroxide for a period of time and then all of a sudden it stopped working. I know medications sometimes lose their effectiveness when your skin gets used to them, but I was wondering if this was the case for people who used Benzoyl Peroxide. Could you just say how long it worked and what percentage you used.

Hamer 09-03-2004 03:32 PM

Re: Does Benzoyl Peroxide last?

My derm told me that your face will not get used to Benzoyl Peroxide like it does with antibiotics. I have used it for many years, and even thought it doesn't clear up my face completely, it will get much worse if I go off of it. Usually, the lowest percentage you can find will be the best for your face because it will not cause overdrying.

johnsmith007 09-03-2004 05:04 PM

O wow, I hope thatís true.

stardusted 09-03-2004 05:35 PM

I tried 5% bp and it didn't do anything..I'm gonna go up to ten.

johnsmith007 09-04-2004 12:20 AM

"stardusted", 10% is good, you just have to moisturize and make sure your skin doesnít get to dry.

latayy26 09-04-2004 12:04 PM

My derm's office makes their own BP gel that is 20%. It works so well but I don't need to use it anymore since I'm clear besides an occasional pimple. It wasn't drying either and I was on it for about a year. It's not that it stopped working, just that my skin didn't need it anymore. I think it's one of the best meds for acne.

stardusted 09-04-2004 02:38 PM

20%??? *jealous*

lol, I think I need to try ten first ;)

stardusted 09-04-2004 06:54 PM

what you're saying makes sense, but I tried 5% bp about a year ago and i swear it did nothing.. i was using it for blackheads and it was so ineffective i threw the bottle away after trying it for a few weeks.

TiffyBaby221 09-04-2004 07:23 PM

it works well for me still

stardusted 09-04-2004 11:40 PM

do you think it'd work better for my blackheads than retin a (i'm using that now)?

I've only been using it for a week on my nose and surprisingly i haven't broken out or anything yet, my skin looks alright but it feels very greasy. but what turns me off is that i've only read bad reviews of retin a and positive reviews of bp. i use retin a on the once-in-a-blue-moon cyst i get b/c of horomones usually and it's helped TONS.

do you think bp would help with any of this more effectively? i'm willing to switch over b/c i'm not hooked on retin a yet and i feel greasy.

boardR2 09-05-2004 09:05 AM

I dont think bp does anything for blackheads. I think the only way to get rid of them is use a pore strip for find a way to reduce the sebum production.

goodbye_acne 09-05-2004 10:17 AM

Benzoyl peroxide, from my experience, does nothing for blackheads. Fortunately, I don't have too many of them to worry about. When I do get a cluster of blackheads, which I do now, I usually go for a chemical peel. It really helps to lift them out. A great, beginner peel, with very minimal amounts of peeling, would be a "Detox Peel". Detox stands for detoxification, removing the impurities from you skin. It is designed for acne. One peel, unfortunately tends to do very little, so a few are needed. If you feel comfortable, you may buy an extractor to use to remove blackheads. I warn you though, be very careful at the ones you extract. Dont go for every single one you have, because it can damage your skin, and make them spread. There are several ways to do this:

1) If you see a black head or two larger than the rest, slowly press down with the extractor on the blackhead. It should come out, if not stop and dab with either Witch Hazel, or an antiseptic wipe.

2) If you see you have a large cluster of them that will not come out, slowly drag the extractor along the blackheads. Usually, they will all come out as you are dragging it across them.

**Every time you extract, remember to always wipe the area with Witch Hazel to prevent infections.

Im always here for help

Tony

bsg17 11-24-2004 12:35 PM

no it doesnt last. your body does get used to bp after a period of time. escpecially if you used 10 percent or higher. I dont care what you heard im speaking from experience. . better if you use 2.5 percent only. trust me. thats why if you used proactive but recently were already using 10 percent bp it just wont work. or itll take a long time to show results. 10 percent is has temporaliy results. not worth it. Really 2.5 percent is the way to go.

sneezydiva 11-24-2004 03:54 PM

It's not that your body gets used to it, But as it is constantly exposed to air, the Benzoyl peroxide loses it's effectiveness. If it seems to have stopped working, it's time to throw it away and buy a new tube.