It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• anyone use retin a long term?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
    stardusted

stardusted HB User
    Exclamation anyone use retin a long term?

I just wanna know before I get hooked on the stuff, if anyone's seen long term effects with retin a in treating whiteheads and blackheads. Do you find that now you're on retin a, if you go off it, you'll have a horrible breakout?

Here's a brief bg on me: I've taken diane 35 for four years and I'm now getting off it b/c the side effects are wearing me down. I have mild to moderate acne (it's been mild for AGES b/c Diane 35 worked WONDERS on me, it's the only thing that's worked). I always have tons of blackheads on my nose and whiteheads ususally pop up around my period. In the past I just put retin a on the rare cysts I'd get, and it would work miracles for me! So now I've decided to put it on every night and I've only been using it for a a week but my skin seems pretty clear, no breakouts yet (but I'm sure the bcp is still lingering in my system) but my skin feels really oily. just curious, do you think if I lower the strength my skin would feel less or more oily? anyways, the point is I'm trying to clear up my skin long term w/o having to take bcp. so you guys know of alternatives to this even, please let me know. I haven't experimented w/ my skin regimen in four years and I'm really worrying about it.

Last edited by stardusted; 09-05-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
    Rawraws
    (male)

Rawraws HB User
    Re: anyone use retin a long term?

I used Retin-A for pretty severe cystic acne on both of my cheeks for about a year. It took a long time for it to work but over time it worked out all of the pimples and eventually my skin was smooth again even though I still had red marks which lasted for awhile. My only mistake while using Retin-A is that after I'd wash it off my face in the morning I didn't use a good moisturizer. Because of this I had a constant blush on my cheeks and everyone though I was sunburnt all the time. I quit using it and the acne NEVER came back again on my cheeks like that except for the occasional zit. I used proactiv for awhile just to keep my face in check but that stopped working and I started to get zits and cystic acne along my jawline. Forever I told myself that it would go away but it kept getting worse so I just recently got back on Retin-A, which I know will fix it again. This time however I use moisturizer in the morning, and throughout the day if needed, to keep redness and irritation down. I highly recommend Complex-15 moisturizer if you have sensitive skin. Retin-A truly is a good solution, just follow the directions, put up with the first 3 months and remember to moisturize.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

Retin-a used to work for me, but now that I'm in my twenties, it just DESTROYS my skin. The retin-a actually causes more breakouts for me. If you are going to use it, use as little as possible and spread it out.

Last edited by Fury23; 09-05-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #4
    stardusted

stardusted HB User

yeah, I'm a natural redhead (21, finally out of my horrible teens, thank god) so i definitely have sensitive skin, sounds like I'm gonna have to buy a moisturizer, I'll check out the ones you guys name.

and I'm only putting the retin a on my nose, primarily, b/c that's the only area that really breaks out. i might put a tiny bit on my chin or forehead if they have breakout potential.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
    Fray

Fray HB User

i've been on retin-a micro gel for over a year now. it's the only thing i have found that has kept me clear. i haven't been off of it to really know if i'll breakout again but chances are i probably would because retin-a is supose to kept the pores clear. i would also like to know the long terms effects.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
    stardusted

stardusted HB User

oops sorry, ONE more question, this has been very encouraing you guys..

I am currently using an old (not sure how old bottle) of .05 Retin a cream. Do you guys think it would be better if I started out w/ .025? or would it not make that big of a difference? I need to know b/c I'd have to purchase it online which might not be worth going to the trouble (????)

Closed Thread