It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Should I Bug the Derm?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Should I Bug the Derm?

My daughter has her monthly derm appointment tomorrow. I was wondering if I should question her lack of progress and ask them to do more. Like maybe prescribing prednisone. They didn't want to do that last time but wanted to up her dosage to see if that would help clearing. It didn't. Just wondering if I should suggest that again or just let them do their thing. Seems like some people get injections and other drugs along with their accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User
    Re: Should I Bug the Derm?

Skimom,

I don't think it would hurt to ask your daughter's derm about it. I would constantly ask my derm to give me cortisone injections while I was on accutane and he did it. It's important that your daughter (and you) are happy with the progress of her treatment. I would definitely say what you have to say.

Old 09-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
    Steuby

Steuby HB User

How long has she been on the accutane? Seems like a lot of people have written on here that they didn't start to really clear up till almost towards the end of the treatment.
    I take it she's past the "initial" breakout that everyone talks about?
    Has the accutane been hard for her with lots of side effects?

Old 09-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User

I think it's important to question your derm and ask for what you want, but also respect their medical opinion too. With my derm, prednisone is the last resort. He calls it the prom pill--you take a strong dose for a few days to clear fast, if you have an important event, like the prom. When I took Accutane for the first time, I had an initial breakout that didn't go away. I started with the prom pill; that didn't help. So, I began taking erythromycin to help. He said it's not the best acne drug, but it is compatible with Accutane, so that was his choice.

My derm is also not liberal with the cortisone injections. He is very concerned about pitting and scarring with them, which is a valid concern. He does not give them unless he thinks they are absolutely necessary. You almost have to beg him for them, even for the super painful cysts! He'll look at them and say, "Do they *really* hurt?" and "How long have they been there?" So cortisone shots are not always the answer too.

I think it's important to remember that a lot of people really don't see a clear on Accutane till they are off it, or nearly done with it. That's very common. Yes, it sucks, but no one ever said it would be a walk in the park. I would ask your derm what he/she thinks they can do in the time being. I am sure they will have something they can do!

Old 09-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Predisone is a med that everyone should have a healthy respect for. Predisone is not to be taken lightly. It does wonders but will also cost in other areas. When you take predisone your body stops making cortisol, think I have the right words. Your body must have cortisol to live. Think twice about what you ask for.

Even with diseases, predisone is given as a last resort.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Thanks for the input especially about the prednisone. I guees I won't push that too much. Maybe the antibiotic though.

I don't think the lesions are painful - there's just alot of them. So cortisone is probably out.

Steuby - the problem is that the initial breakout started immediately, was severe and stayed and stayed. She's been on accutane for 8 weeks. I think I'll buy her a medal when she done.

I think my biggest fear is that accutane doesn't always work for everybody. It definately takes faith to be on it.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Well, I went ahead and called. They said not to look for improvement until month 3 or 4 and not to panic. They'll decide tomorrow if they think prednisone is warranted or not. They said that they do not prescribe antibiotics along with accutane. The nurse said she's never seen a case fail in that office. That's encouraging. She said one in particular was the worst she's ever seen for initial breakouts. The girl wouldn't go out of the house or see her bf. She said she saw her the other day in the office and that she looked beautiful after 6 months. She also said that many patients go back for micro-dermabrasion and chemical peels to perfect their skin after accutane. Interesting.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
    Steuby

Steuby HB User

I know your daughter will get through this and have beautiful skin again.

I also know how agonizing this is for both of you! Take it one day at a time.
    And keep us posted.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #9
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Yea I definitely think that you should ask your dermatologist whatever you have on your mind. A lot of times, they just have there plans, and wont usually go off of them unless you say something. And a lot of times their methods arenít always the faster, or best for everyone.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
    JiminyBiscuit

JiminyBiscuit HB User

i would wait a little while... the way i see it, her liver already has it's 'hands' full as far as processing drugs goes (figuratively speaking - i know the liver has not grown hands). i try not to take any other medicines at all while i'm on accutane, even cold medicines or anything at all. i took prednisone once pre-accutane and was told by the derm who gave it to me that i had to ween off of it slowly because if you stop right away it is much more likely to cause damage. if you and the derm do decide to go that route keep that in mind. however even doing it this way can take it's toll on your body.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #11
    warm__pants

warm__pants HB User

i was just at the Derm for the first time on Friday and he put me on Prednisone for 10 days .. 4 pills 2x a day for 5 days (about 40mg) and then 2 pills 2x a day (20 mg) for the last 5 days! .. i've got a bunch of little buggers on my chin that keep comin from my attemps at clearing out my clogged pores with Stievamycin... it seemed to overnight reduce inflammation.. for the first two nights i noticed a difference .. and then i woke up after the 3rd day of being on it.. and i think i had a couple new ones.. very small .. but why is that??? shouldn't it be preventing any of them!???

He also gave me a glycolic acid special face wash that u can only get there.. and i think it might be unclogging some of them .. buuut i hope it's not making it worse.. i also am going to be starting my period today or tomorrow.. so i wonder if that has anything to do with it!??? Or the fact that i'm on Spiro and Diane 35 .. and maybe the times that i take them.. they might all be interfering with eachother???? i'm scared because i want this Prednisone stuff to work .. and tomorrow is the last day of taking the high doses.. so shouldn't they all be almost gone with those doses before i'm on the much smaller ones????

I also have another derm appointment made for 2 days after i stop the Prednisone, so that he can clear out my clogged pores.. which is the base of my problem (i had a lot of clogged pores for a long time with no actual pimples until they started getting inflammed after months of building up... and then i used Stievamycin which made me breakout like crazy) So i'm on Spiro to prevent any new clogged pores.. but i need to get rid of these buggers that i still have so they wont get the chance to be zits... but he wants to do Microdermabrasion??? is that even any good for clogged pores.. or would a chemical peel be better??? i really need them to be gone.. so i wanna do the best thing for them???? and will i just get a bunch of zits in the 2 days after i stop prednisone before my derm appt???

Old 10-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #12
    warm__pants

warm__pants HB User

sorry that post was soo long .. im just really freaked out about all of this.. because i really want to clear it up .. it looks so bad .. and before that i had clear skin with lots of clogged pores.. but u couldnt' see them at least! grrrrrr .. and they were supposed to have a derm appt for me earlier .. i could have gotten a peel or dermabrasion and got rid of them before all of this turned into the much bigger problem i have now... and now i have gross red marks and such that makes it look worse! it sucks!!
    thanks for any respsonses!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #13
    phantasmic
    (male)

phantasmic HB User

well, i know from the nurse at the derm clinic that stievamycin is supposed to bring out all the gunk in your skin (takes 3-4 days) then subsides. i'm on my second day and trust me, it's BAAAAAAD! i'm just hoping and praying that this will subside soon. i seriously cannot go out looking like this. it's ewwwness to the MAX!

Closed Thread