It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Grrr...Still have whiteheads

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 PM   #1
    edge

edge HB User
    Grrr...Still have whiteheads

I posted a thread about 3-4 weeks ago about the small little white bumps on my face aka whiteheads.

I was told to try salyclic acid 2%. Well, I did and it helped my face become less oily, but didn't do anything for the whiteheads. It actually overdried my face somewhat and my face overcompensated and got more oily, thus causing a few unpleasant breakouts.

Some quick background info.: I don't have bad acne with cysts, red marks or irritations. I usually have 3-4 small zits on my face and that really doesn't bother me too much. But these whiteheads just won't go away. When they do become active and irrated (red), then kind of go away, they leave the pore very open and odd shaped.

I have a feeling if these whiteheads aren't taken care of, the problem will continue for years and the scars will worsen.

Also, these aren't whiteheads that stick out real big above the surface, they are small and just under the skin.

I don't think a whitehead remover would work for them because they are so deep.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions. I use Proactiv, but should I try a dermatologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
    edge

edge HB User
    Re: Grrr...Still have whiteheads

By the way, these whiteheads are across my forehead, on my cheekbones and chin.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
    linkton
    (male)

linkton HB User

Either..leave them a little while longer, im sure they should come to whiteheads or use Benzoyl Peroxide...this will dry them out, kill the bacteria and bring them to a head to naturally pop, or at worse-to be popped. Just dont pick at them please. If you ever feel you want to give it a little rub to check its still there, wash ur hands :-) Also, apply the BP locally to each spot as it has a very drying effect. Maybe use just 2.5% first of all.

Patrick

Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
    edge

edge HB User

Thanks.

But I'm afraid using BP will overdry and cause my face to overcompensate and produce more oil, which leads to breakouts...

Wouldn't it? I mean, it seemed to do it with the salyclic acid?

Also, if I were to try BP or any other product, how should I tie it in with my once a day proactiv regime?

Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
    linkton
    (male)

linkton HB User

Thats why you should try and apply the 2.5% BP just locally. It will dry out the area very much, and will probably feel uncomfortable. However give it a day or a night and the area should start flaking off. If you over apply it over the whole face, then yes this will overdry and the skin will pour out more oil. this is why in the regimen it is important to use moisturiser. However i believe if u use it locally, there is no need. Its like freezing off verucas. I dont know about your proactiv regime sorry :-( Someone else will surely chime in with experience there!

Patrick

Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #6
    Joe_Dude
    (male)

Joe_Dude HB User

change ur diet

Old 09-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

I would suggest that you definitely go to a dermatologist. Anyone who has mild acne should go. I donít think it could hurt. About the extra oil causing acne, as long as you moisturize and make sure your face doesnít get dry, youíll be fine. Also, Proactiv has 2.5% bp in it.

Last edited by johnsmith007; 09-21-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
    edge

edge HB User

I think I'm going to go to a dermatologist before I start trying anything else. Especially since Proactiv has 2.5 BP in it. I mean, its not working with that, I don't see why applying any extra BP would.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #9
    Kymberlee
    Veteran
    (female)

Kymberlee HB User

Hey,Edge...I had the very same problem as you! I had small whiteheads (bumps) under the skin. On my forehead and cheeks. It drove me nuts! If you looked at my face in the right light you would see all these tiny bumps. (Even under my makeup.) Someone else who posted here called them "comedones". I did a search and they even have pretty pictures of these things! I also tried Proactive. I was on it for about 6 months. It DID NOT help my "bumps" at all. They just sat there, looking ugly. I finally went to a Derm. He told me I have a mild case of acne rosacea. He put me on Finacea gel,15%. I'm also on Retin-a Micro. I've been on the Finacea for about 5 weeks and the Retin-a since May. I have noticed that my "bumps" are slowly GOING AWAY! I apply the Finacea twice daily. I put my makeup on today and can see that alot of those nasty things are gone! You have to get a script from a Doctor for this--but you may want to try it!

Old 09-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
    edge

edge HB User

Kymberlee,

That sounds exactly like what I have. They really show up in certain lighting, too, and its embarrassing. I am going to go to a derm and take care of this. By the way, how much was the medicine the derm. put you on?

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it!!

Old 09-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #11
    tuberville

tuberville HB User

Hey, I have had a similar problem as you - mostly whiteheads, in particular proliferating on the forehead. They didn't bother me too much, but at some point, I noticed that I was getting inflammation more frequently. In turn, I started aggressively using over-the-counter stuff - SA and BP. Neither really helped the condition in my case. What was worse is that the fact that I was using BP too much or too frequently, seemed to have thinned out my skin, exposing pit scars that I had never had any idea were there. And that is much, much worse. In general, SA is considered to be "comedolytic" - capable of eliminating whiteheads. As I said above, that did not really happen in my case; the most it did is perhaps controlled the rate of their increase.
    In any case, at some point, I just went to see a doctor and a physician prescribed Differin along with Clindamycin. I started Differin about 6 weeks ago and only now am I beginning to see some very tentative results. Differin is, of course, notorious for causing the "initial breakout." In my case, whatever whiteheads I had - increased in number by a factor of at least 20. The skin became oily and rather disgusting, to be honest. The positive side was that inflammations came under control. Now, however, the skin looks much better, the whiteheads are reduced in size and number, and seem to be going away. The skin looks better overall. I am holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed. Basically, what I am saying is that you should decide whether Differin is for you. It takes a lot of patience to get through that first month. Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
    Kymberlee
    Veteran
    (female)

Kymberlee HB User

How much did the med. cost? Well, we have a co-pay which was $45.00. I think without insurance it would be more money. I'm not sure how much it costs. Sorry. Do you have insurance? I know my Doc had to write a letter to my insurance company and tell them my "condition" so they would pay for the Retin-a micro. Of course, they didn't want to pay, but they finally gave in! It's worth it to try (with your Doc's help). Let me know what happens. Do you have a scheduled Appt. with a Doc yet? When is it? Have you ever been to a derm.?

Old 09-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
    edge

edge HB User

I've never been to a dermatologist. I do have pretty good insurance through my parents even thought i don't live at home with them anymore. Like the doctor office co-pay is only 15 bucks and the insurance paid for 90% of my wisdom teeth and two broken ankles this summer. So its pretty damn good. I hope it will help with the dermatologist and medicince. Anyhow, I'm going to set up an appointment next Wednesday probably with a dermatologist.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
    edge

edge HB User

Dermatologist appointment: Monday, October 4, 2 p.m.

I'm getting rid of these bumps.

Closed Thread