HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   please help - benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/211084-please-help-benzoyl-peroxide-salicylic-acid.html)

m_elissa 09-25-2004 06:38 PM

please help - benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid?

my bottle of neutrogena clear pore containing 2.5% salicylic acid is empty and i can't seem to find the same thing at any pharmacy or drugstore around here. so i ended up buying another neutrogena product that contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

my spots are hormonal, i get them every month at [i]that[/i] time of the month. they're so predictable yet very frustrating!

the salicylic acid seemed to be working well for me, and i'm a little worried now that i can't find the same product.

in your experiences, what has worked better for your spots- salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide?

thank you so much,
melissa!

Falcor 09-25-2004 10:40 PM

Re: please help - benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid?

I used BP for years with pretty good results. But then about two months ago I switched to SA (Neutrogena's Clear Pore) and it works better for me than anything else I've tried. So for now, I'm a raving SA fan.

johnsmith007 09-26-2004 01:32 PM

There different kind of creams. I know more people find success with benzoyl peroxide, but it really depends on the person. You can try the bp, and if it doesn’t work, you should search for the salicylic acid until you find it again.

surrealmeal 09-26-2004 01:42 PM

I like benzoyl peroxide, but I haven't used a salicylic acid creme for a few years and I forget the results I got from it. But I do happen to love Neutrogena's translucent bar for acne-prone skin, and it contains salicylic acid.

RaceBannon 09-26-2004 02:05 PM

Melissa, when you say,

My bottle of neutrogena clear pore containing 2.5% salicylic acid is empty and i can't seem to find the same thing at any pharmacy or drugstore around here.

Is this a cleanser or Lotion. Whats the exact name of this Neutrogena product?

queengodiva 09-26-2004 03:52 PM

I've tried both BP and SA for extended periods of time-I found that BP works best for me to clear my break out, especially the hormonal bumps (but for me it took a while to see results for the hormonal bumps-I had to use the BP consistently)

girlygurl81 09-26-2004 03:56 PM

i use something like that...i love it...might be the same thing...neutrogena clear pore treatment nighttime pore clarifying gel....2.0%SA

m_elissa 09-26-2004 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=RaceBannon]Melissa, when you say,

My bottle of neutrogena clear pore containing 2.5% salicylic acid is empty and i can't seem to find the same thing at any pharmacy or drugstore around here.

Is this a cleanser or Lotion. Whats the exact name of this Neutrogena product?[/QUOTE]

it wasn't a cleanser or a lotion, it was spot treatment to apply on problem areas. it was called Neutrogena Clear Pore, and it was a clear gel. i'm going nuts trying to find something similar...

i ended up buying the clearasil version, it has the same ingredients- although i don't really trust/like clearasil, mainly because neutrogena has been working so well for me. keep your fingers crossed for me!

i also bought Neutrogena SkinClearing Moisturiser, which contains salicylic acid and retinol. i'm not sure about using this yet, i'm scared to use too many products at once. has anyone ever tried this?

m_elissa 09-27-2004 06:02 AM

ok, last night i tried the clearasil overnight spot treatment that contains 2.0% salicylic acid and oh my god, what a pain in the butt. my old gel went on smoothly and left no residue. this stuff peels off like a thing layer of skin! i felt my skin tightening and i thought it was getting dry from the stuff, but it was actually the medication turning into a rubbery film like layer that i just peeled right off.

so much for that stuf! :o

jojo64 09-27-2004 09:33 AM

SA & BP do two totally different things, so it's hard to compare them. SA works to exfoliate and clean out the pore, while BP works to kill acne causing bacteria.

No reason you can't use them both - one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.