It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What is Accutane/Retin-A

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User
    What is Accutane/Retin-A

I am just curious what the difference is between the 2, and why my Dr has not tried me on accutane, but got me on the strongest RX for Retin-A. AAAHHH it burns!!! ~Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
    Zshock
    (male)

Zshock HB User
    Re: What is Accutane/Retin-A

Accutane is a very powerful oral medicine that you take to clear up acne. Usually derms only prescribe it to the worst cases, people who might have a lot of scarring because of their acne. When you first get on accutane they read you this list of all these side effects...but don't let that scare you off. Those things only happen to one out of a million people, so some of the side effects are very rare. The only side effect I'm getting from accutane right now is dry lips and dry skin. The dermatologist also has blood tests every month to make sure nothing is happening to you. So I feel that it is a very safe thing to do.

I had severe cystic nodular acne and this is the only thing that has worked for me so far. I tried everything else the derm could throw at me, but most of it had very little effect. So far with accutane I have less cysts than before and I'm beginning to clear up...and this is just the first 2 weeks. I can't wait to see the results after the first month, or two months.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

See what I am on now is causing dry skin and chapped lips... :P

Old 09-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
    Zshock
    (male)

Zshock HB User

Retin-A is a topical though...right? Because that's the only retin-a I've ever been on and I do remember dry skin and redness, but chapped lips?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"natthebug", Accutane is on a whole different level then Retin-A. Accutane usually only causes dry skin and lips, but it can cause tons of other things. Itís a MUCH more series way to treat acne, and if you want all the info ask your dermatologist.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

I have chapped lips and now I have a cold sore that popped up out of no where, one minute it wasn't there the next it was. I hate cold sores. Anyways I would ask a derm , but they have not reffered me yet. My Dr wanted to try me on this last combo first. And yes Retin-a is a cream, but the one I have is pretty strong. ~Nat

Old 09-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
    Zshock
    (male)

Zshock HB User

I thought retin-a was a cream. All the creams the derm gave me were way too strong, they all caused me to get dry patches and redness. All the topicals really irritated my skin and since I have severe cystic acne the only way to stop it was accutane. The only side effect I have from taking accutane is chapped lips, dry skin, and I do get very itchy when I sweat, but that's probably just because my skin is super dry.

Old 09-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

retin-a is a cream. And I do have a lot of dry irritated red skin right now because of it and the benzaclin

Old 09-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
    Rawraws
    (male)

Rawraws HB User

Retin-A has worked wonders for me before but it does cause redness and drying. Just make sure you use plenty of moisturizer during the day. When you apply it try to stay away from the edges of your lips. But if you can stick with it..it will cure your acne..it just takes time. I hope it works for you like it did for me. Remember to moisturize.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:37 AM   #10
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

it seems to be helping a little, a lot of the deep stuff that is always there is clearing up, and the Bo Bo's as I call the cystic ones that were there before are slowly going away (if Id stop picking it'd probably be faster) and no m newones are appearing. But I do notice the overall look besides the dry flakes and the redness it is clearer than before. LOL So I am going to stick with it for at leats a month or so. Ok after it all clears up is this something I will always have to use??? Or do I get to stop using it
    ? Or maybe go to sometrhing milder? The Retin A I have is pretty sront, they put me from .01% -.04% -.1%. YIKES! Maybe I can go back down to the .04% after it all clears up eh??

Old 09-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
    Rawraws
    (male)

Rawraws HB User

When I first used it it completely cleared my cheeks and I have never had to use it since then (on my cheeks). Then nearly a year later my jawline started breaking out and I'm using Retin-A once again. Slowly but surely it is clearing up. The dry flaking does get very annoying though. I also use .1% Retin A. I'm hoping that after it clears up my jawline/chin that I won't have to use anything again like the first time I stopped using it. Give it time. It really does take a good full 3 months before the full effects are noticed. Then after that it's just a matter of waiting for the redness of acne spots to clear up. On a side note.. I recommend Avalon Organics Vitamin C Cleanser and Complex-15 Moisturizer. Those just seem to be the best for me.

Closed Thread