It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Lemon Juice!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 10:44 AM   #106
    sunshine919

sunshine919 HB User
    Re: Lemon Juice!

Green tea in no way clashes with the effects of lemons. Don't worry about it. I use both and feel great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #107
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User

I'm also drinking green tea, I add some lemon juice from the bottle to help with the taste! Also, don't drink the green tea too late at night because it does contain caffiene.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 AM   #108
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Remember that lemons are the king of citrus fruit. Because of their high source of bioflavinoids, they are powerful in detoxifying the body. They are also an excellent diuretic. Lemon juice is an excellent addition to salad dressings, sauces, and is a preservative. The lemon skin should be smooth with no green spots which is a sign of a high acid content.

Also, lemon juice has a tremendous ability to dissolve mucus and scour toxins from the cellular tissue. When juicing lemons, leave some of the inner white peel for the bioflavinoids. One of the most refreshing drinks on a hot summer day is chilled mineral water with a splash of freshly-squeezed lemon juice!

Bye,
    AA

Old 11-19-2004, 10:58 AM   #109
    Face Off

Face Off HB User

1 lemon for 1 cup? ...I squeeze real hard but I don't seem to get much juice ... ?? do you guys put it in the blender? (would that work??)

Old 11-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #110
    sunshine919

sunshine919 HB User

I squeeze half a lemon in one cup of water. The juice from half a lemon is enough for one time. Then I use the other half in the evening. Now I am just making a pitcher with the equivalent water for around 5 lemons. The lemons I buy are huge, from Whole Foods.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #111
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Face Off, you never get very much juice out of a lemon in terms of quantity - don't worry about that - you only ever get a third or a quarter of a cup at maximum. That's another good reason why it's good to dilute into a whole glass of water and drink.

Bye,
    AA

Old 11-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #112
    Face Off

Face Off HB User

hey AA, what if you don't dilute it? do you think it will be better for ya? ..cuz I put just a small amount of water (rather than lots) thinking it will be stronger that way... I find i am getting use to the sourness..

Old 11-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #113
    skylar x
    (female)

skylar x HB User

Hey, I'm new here and I've got a question about this lemon thing! I have 2 kinds of pimples that I get on my face. Ones that start on the top of the skin and are red, and ones that start underneath the skin and when I pop them they are white. (I'm pretty sure they're cysts) The "cysts" are the only ones I have any trouble with so my question is this:

Does the lemon juice thing work on cysts or only on the regular, formed-above-the-skin pimples? It seems like it would work on whiteheads (or both) because your consuming someting, rather than just putting cream on, so it would target the whiteheads at the source. Sorry this is really confusing. I hope someone understands what I'm talking about.

Last edited by skylar x; 11-20-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #114
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Hi Faceoff,

The problem with not diluting the lemon juice much is that it has a very powerful detoxifying effect on your body 'all at once' so to speak, which has the consequence that your body will need expel the toxins not only through the liver (as the primary detox organ) but will need to expel them through the skin (as the secondary detox organ when the primary is overloaded).

So yes, it is powerful but a little too powerful. It's best to help the liver do it's job by diluting.

Bye,
    AA

Old 11-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #115
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

skylar,

I don't have cystic acne, so I can't say from experience whether it works for that. I have read that it can help cystic acne, but who knows whether that is true. Can't hurt to try given all the other benefits lemon brings you.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 AM   #116
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Consider the health benefits of lemons!

Phytonutrients with Antioxidant, Anti-Cancer and Antibiotic Effects

Like many of the fruits and vegetables found in the world’s 125 healthiest foods, lemons and limes contain unique flavonoid compounds that have antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Of special interest in limes have been flavonoids called flavonol glycosides, including many kaempferol-related molecules. While these flavonoids have been shown to stop cell division in many cancer cell lines, they are perhaps most interesting for their antibiotic effects. In several villages in West Africa where cholera epidemics had occurred, the inclusion of lime juice during the main meal of the day was determined to have been protective against the contraction of cholera. (Cholera is a disease triggered by activity of the bacteria called Vibrio cholera). Researchers quickly began to experiment with the addition of lime juice to the sauce eaten with rice, and in this role, lime juice was also found to have a strong protective effect against cholera.

Several other fascinating research studies on the healing properties of lemons and limes have shown that cell cycles - including the decision a cell makes about whether to divide (called mitosis) or die (apoptosis) – are altered by lime juice, as are the activities of special immune cells called monocytes.

In addition to their unique phytonutrient properties, lemons and limes are an excellent source of one of the most important antioxidants in nature, vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the main antioxidants found in food and the primary water-soluble antioxidant in the body. Vitamin C travels through the body neutralizing any free radicals with which it comes into contact in the aqueous environments in the body both inside and outside cells. Free radicals can interact with the healthy cells of the body, damaging them and their membranes, and also cause a lot of inflammation, or painful swelling, in the body. This is one of the reasons that vitamin C has been shown to be helpful for reducing some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Since free radicals can damage blood vessels and can change cholesterol to make it more likely to build up in artery walls, vitamin C can be helpful for preventing the development and progression of atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease.

Vitamin C is also vital to the function of a strong immune system. The immune system’s main goal is to protect you from illness, so a little extra vitamin C may be useful in conditions like colds, flu’s, and recurrent ear infections. Owing to the multitude of vitamin C's health benefits, it is not surprising that research has shown that consumption of vegetables and fruits high in this nutrient is associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes including heart disease, stroke and cancer.

Protection against Macular Degeneration

Your mother may have told you carrots would keep your eyes bright as a child, but as an adult, it looks like fruit is even more important for keeping your sight. Data reported in a study published in the June 2004 issue of the Archives of Opthamology indicates that eating 3 or more servings of fruit per day may lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), the primary cause of vision loss in older adults, by 36%, compared to persons who consume less than 1.5 servings of fruit daily.

In this study, which involved 77,562 women and 40,866 men, researchers evaluated the effect of study participants' consumption of fruits; vegetables; the antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E; and carotenoids on the development of early ARMD or neovascular ARM, a more severe form of the illness associated with vision loss. Food intake information was collected periodically for up to 18 years for women and 12 years for men. While, surprisingly, intakes of vegetables, antioxidant vitamins and carotenoids were not strongly related to incidence of either form of ARM, fruit intake was definitely protective against the severe form of this vision-destroying disease. Three servings of fruit may sound like a lot to eat each day, but lemons and limes can help you reach this goal. Dress your fruit salads with lime juice. Green salads perk up with a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil. Add slices of lemon or lime to your water. Top any fish dish with lemon or lime slices.(July 10, 2004)

Protection against Rheumatoid Arthritis

While one July 2004 study suggests that high doses of supplemental vitamin C makes osteoarthritis, a type of degenerative arthritis that occurs with aging, worse in guinea pigs, another indicates that vitamin C-rich foods, such as lemons, provide humans with protection against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of rheumatoid arthritis involving two or more joints.

The findings, presented in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases were drawn from a study of more than 20,000 subjects who kept diet diaries and were arthritis-free when the study began, and focused on 73 subjects who developed inflammatory polyarthritis and 146 similar subjects who remained arthritis-free during follow-up between 1993 and 2001. Subjects who consumed the lowest amounts of vitamin C-rich foods were more than three times more likely to develop arthritis than those who consumed the highest amounts. (August 1, 2004).

Bye,
    AA

Last edited by AccutAven; 11-22-2004 at 02:45 AM.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:21 AM   #117
    MariLissa

MariLissa HB User

AA and all.. hope everything is well with you all and that the lemons are working their way into an acne free life for all of us.

I just wanted to share with y'all that for the last week I have been completely clear!! Not one pimple... sure I still have red marks but I trust that with time they will heal... in the meantime make up is covering them.

Also, I have noticed that my skin isn't oily at all. Before the lemons, I had to use those oil absorb sheets once- twice a day... specially when the heat kicked in around 2 -3 pm.

Well I just wanted to share my clearness with y'all and hope this magnificient recipe will work for all of us.

Today I will be going to the coast for a workshop and it is supposed to be 23- 31 C... I hope the heat/humidity doesn't cause any pimples in me... but I'm taking lemons and green tea... the only thing I forgot was my Aloe Vera.. but I guess I can do without it for 2 nights . Will let y'all know!!

Take care and all the best!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #118
    Testamentt

Testamentt HB User

Mari; I'm happy to hear that. How bad was your acne before you started and did you have any body acne? Results?

Thankyou,

Old 11-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #119
    Face Off

Face Off HB User

does anyone use lemons to lighten brown /dark spots??? ..if so...is it working and is it lasting long or does it only lighten for a few hrs???

Old 11-26-2004, 06:26 AM   #120
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

MariLissa,

So pleased the lemons have really helped with your acne!!! I truly believe lemons are a powerful fruit!

Bye,
    AA

Closed Thread