It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• The Best advice i could give someone with acne is...____????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User
    The Best advice i could give someone with acne is...____????

i think this would be a really good thread to start, just have everyone share the best advice they have ever gotten or discovered. let me lay down some guidelines so it is easy for everyone to answer and the replies are clear.

#1 the advice given must have a 99.99% chance of working for everybody that reads it. if it isnt, please say why it isnt. i am trying to keep this as fact based as possible with reliable information (either medically proven or something that 99% of acne sufferers would agree with)
    eg "the best advice i could give someone with acne is to use 100% aloe vera lotion to help heal skin and reduce redness"

#2 for every piece of advice include how much of it you used (a measureable amount, or an example) and if it is something weird or a different procedure, describe the procedure. what brand and how u got it could be helpful if it is something odd.
    "i use a good palm full of 100% aloe vera fruit of the earth brand and just load it on my face as thickly and possible and let it dry b4 i go to bed, i wake up in the morning and rinse it off"

#3 short description of your acne/history with acne and m/f would be great.
    "i probably have teenage acne from mild to moderate, with acne worst around my mouth and jawline. i am a 19 year old male"

just post everything you know that is tried and true and u can promise to work for the people who use the advice. dont tell everyone to use proactiv because its the best and cleared you up. explain how it worked for you so people can best interpret whether or not it will work for them.

please keep replies/questions to the advice as short as possible and read up shortly on what you ask. dont ask questions like what is spiro.

the advice can be as wide ranging as possible. just anything you think is really great advice. COOL, LETS DO THIS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User
    Re: The Best advice i could give someone with acne is...____????

the best advice i could give someone with acne is dont scrub too hard when washing your face.

i find myself way too many times trying to scrub hard to remove the oil or do whatever to clean my skin. i notice how much better my skin feels afterwards if i just gently massage my cleanser in for 30 seconds. scrubbing too hard can cause irratation/redness, dryness, and could also pop zits that arent quite ready.

i use carleys clear and smooth soap bar

probably have teenage acne from mild to moderate, with acne worst around my mouth and jawline. i am a 19 year old male and have pretty tolerant and sometimes very oily skin.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
    Peekaboo971

Peekaboo971 HB User

The best advice I could give for someone dealing with acne is to see a dermatologist. I'm not talking about getting the occasional zit or breakout, but for acne that won't go away. You can try over the counter items as much as you want, but in my experience, you'll spend the same amount of money trying to find something that works long term as you would for a trip to the derm.

After being pregnant, my hormones were so out of whack that I had acne on my neck, face, back, chest, and it wasn't clearing up no matter what I did. My derm put me on an antibiotic for about a month or two, and it tackled the acne from the inside out. Then I had a topical gel to use on top of it to tackle it from the outside in. A year later, I'm acne free except for the occasional break out, and I apply a topical gel called Clindagel on my face nightly to prevent future major breakouts.

He also recommended using Neutrogena foaming acne facial wash. It seems to help keep my skin in check.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
    Elisabeth138

Elisabeth138 HB User

The best advice I could give someone with acne is...your life is not over.

For the girls out there, you know when you get one of those horrible zits, in that oh-so-convienent spot, like right between the eyes, in the middle of your forehead, chin, etc? You try your hardest to cover it up, but no amount of makeup your side of the Mississippi seems to hide that thing perfectly without caking it on?

(shudders)

Sure, people will notice it. But do they treat you differently?

This was a huge problem for me. I thought that since I had a monster on my nose people would judge me for it and for some reason, not like me.

Now, whenever I have one of those, I cover it up the best I can, and even if you can still tell it's there, I just look in the mirror, say (outloud), "Eh," and walk out the door. A lot of problems caused by acne are brought on by oneself. Once I learned to accept the fact that a lot of people have acne, it's a lot less stressful. Sure, it sucks, but life goes on!

As for a product (which is what I feel the theme of this thread was anyway ), I recommend Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. It's about $9 on burtsbees.com (I think), and I find that it works well on calming the skin down if you've been using a lot of topical on-the-spot acne treatments, or if you've been picking at a zit.

My acne is mild-moderate, I'm on Yasmin, use St. Ives medicated scrub and the aforementioned cleanser, and the occasional Clean and Clear on-the-spot BP 10% cream, and of course, different kinds of facial masques. I'm a 19 year old female who's had acne for quite awhile now.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
    mandersBC
    (female)

mandersBC HB User

My best advice for someone with acne...

I would say that you need to find products that will (for your type of skin)
    1. Encourage exfoliation (since dead skin is what contributes to clogged pores). This can be done chemically or mechanically.
    2. Control oil (through washing, blotting, rinsing w/ water).
    3. Control your facial bacteria (through washing, antibiotics, or topicals).
    4. Control other bacteria (wash sheets at least once a week, use a clean towel on your face, wash your hands before ever touching your face).

The reason why this can be difficult is because we can't tell what will work best on our skin just by looking at a bottle. Sometimes, (even with the dermatologist) there is trial and error. You may find you cannot use a certain product due to high alcohol content, or that a prescribed cream is much too drying for you. Unfortunately, clearing up can take a little patience. And that can be very hard!

I do follow the above steps. They are pretty basic - and they do involve some searching, either by you or your derm.

I am a 23 year old female, I have had acne since I was 10 to varying degrees. It got much worse (some cystic) from 15-17, and settled down a bit since then. I have been on birth control since I was 20 - it seems to help regulate my hormones pretty well. I do get an occasional cyst and a few zits.

Good luck to all!

Old 10-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User

Drink lots of water. It's cheap, hydrating and helps to rid the body of wastes. No matter what changes in my acne regimen, my skin always looks and feels better when I drink plenty.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandersBC
    My best advice for someone with acne...

I would say that you need to find products that will (for your type of skin)
    1. Encourage exfoliation (since dead skin is what contributes to clogged pores). This can be done chemically or mechanically.
    2. Control oil (through washing, blotting, rinsing w/ water).
    3. Control your facial bacteria (through washing, antibiotics, or topicals).
    4. Control other bacteria (wash sheets at least once a week, use a clean towel on your face, wash your hands before ever touching your face).
    That's the exact advice I would give although I would put number 4 as number 1. People let bacteria touch their skin too often without realizing it. Just NEVER touch your face unless your hands are clean. When you scratch your face, there is so much bacteria on your hands and especially under your fingernails that you spread all over your face. Change your pillow case and sheats once a week helps so so much.

One piece of advice I would add is to go to bed with clean hair. A clean face means nothing if the oil or styling product from your hair is touching your face all night. Wash it before bed or tie it back into a bandana or tuque.

Closed Thread