It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• WHY we get acne...Interested???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #46
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
    Re: WHY we get acne...Interested???

Thats a good food course, but I do think artificial sweetners are cancer makers. In the last century Americans ate a lot of millet and other organic grains. Those grains contained a lot of laetrile, and cancer was not common a century ago. Some say there is a connection between the lack of laetrile in our diet and the increase in cancer/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #47
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

I'm taking an Epidemiology class right now and I don't know what aritificial sweetner (or all of them) were used for the study, but it was found that people that consumed them were 1.02x as likely to get cancer and so it was deemed as not a significant difference.

Regardless, I don't suggest artificial sweetners, those are disgusting. Stevia is an herb that tastes sweet (I don't like it) and Xylitol is a form of sugar derived from a certain type of tree bark or corn. Plus it is something that we produce naturally in our bodies after consumption of xylose containing plants. I like it because it's the best tasting of the natural sweetners/sugar alcohols, doesn't cause diarrhea (beyond 1st 2 week intro period), and helps prevent cavities (unlike the others) & ear infections to a degree. ;-)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 10-22-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 AM   #48
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I have to agree xylitol is ok also. Aspertame Nutrasweet is banned in some countries as a health risk. So I think that study you are quoting was paid for by a company with a vital interest in the outcome. You also have to look at who paid for the research. Most research is paid to find a certain otcome .

Old 10-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #49
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Yeah, the clinical studies still say that most artificial sweetners induce DNA damage...Anyway, here's another one to add to the timeline:

"Without androgen, there is no development of the sexual hair follicle or sebaceous gland."

1986 - Pilosebaceous physiology in relation to hirsutism and acne.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=2941189

Old 10-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #50
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User

there is another sweetner you can use in place of even stevia, that is natural, the product is called lo han sweet, and its made from a Chinese fruit,. i hear that its the best tasting even better, than stevia (which I agree doesnt taste all that good) just thought Id let you guys know if you are interested. you can purchase it online, I havent seen it in the health food store yet.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:08 PM   #51
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stasia12
    there is another sweetner you can use in place of even stevia, that is natural, the product is called lo han sweet, and its made from a Chinese fruit,. i hear that its the best tasting even better, than stevia (which I agree doesnt taste all that good) just thought Id let you guys know if you are interested. you can purchase it online, I havent seen it in the health food store yet.
    Stasia,
    Thanks for mentioning this one. Turns out there's companies selling a blend of xylitol and this fruit, although it appears you can get this in pure liquid form. You're right though, there isn't much info on this, even in pubmed. It said to be 250x sweeter than sugar though... and according to Suzanne Summers it does have an aftertaste like Stevia...maybe she uses a blend (SlimSweet?) in her Somersweet.

NM, Somersweet has fructose & Acesulfume K

Last edited by SweetJade1; 10-22-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 AM   #52
    PinkGrape

PinkGrape HB User

SweetJade,

Thanks for the "good food" list! I'm going to review it and then head off to the stores. I'm someone who snacks maybe every hour or two, big meals make me feel yucky and besides, I can't fit much in my stomach anyways. That's why it's important for me to have snacks or easily reheatable food available, I usually only make one "meal" a day.

I've not had a problem with fruit at all during those brief time periods where I was able to control what I eat (although I don't drink 100% fruit juice), it's just those darned refined sugars.

Trader Joes sells a darkdark chocolate (something I need this time of year!), but they still have some sugar in it. I'll have to search around.

I have to say I have a new sympathy for overweight people who are dieting. At least when I can't help myself and eat sugar in public, people probably aren't thinking "look at that zit face, she needs to watch what she eats!"

Oh and in case anyone was wondering. Eddy's makes a sugar-free ice cream (splenda is the replacement). Well, I ate some of the chocolate chip mint and broke out like all heck had broken loose. I would have been better off eating regular old sugar ice cream. I do not recommend it and it's scared me away from artificial sweeteners for good!

Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #53
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Pinkgrape,
    Wow, I've never heard of anyone breaking out from splenda, but anything is possible. All I know is that splenda tastes like nutrasweet to me and so I stay faaaar away from it ;-)

Where I live all we have is a Sun Harvest, it's like a Mini Wild Oats, but I wish we had a Trader Joes. Let me know what you pick up and if you can't find something your craving maybe there's a GF substitute or mix available. =)

Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 AM   #54
    boulder21

boulder21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkGrape
    SweetJade,

At least when I can't help myself and eat sugar in public, people probably aren't thinking "look at that zit face, she needs to watch what she eats!"

Well most people don't do that cause they have no idea what the cause is! I see people with acne eating things that I know are bad for them and I feel bad cause I can't say anything. Saying something would be as rude as telling someone with a weight problem to not eat that tripple scope chocalate dip ice cream cone cause they're too fat.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:31 PM   #55
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I think most people know that eating chocolate and fried foods causes acne, but no one can cite a study that proves it.

Closed Thread