It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• my derm. refuses to prescribe me accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
    darkeyes

darkeyes HB User
    my derm. refuses to prescribe me accutane

yea that's right... he says that my face would have to have at least 60% cystic lesions for him to be able to prescribe me accutane. he even showed me a pic of the amount/type of acne that warranted accutane. and i can tell you that 99% of people getting the drug don't have that type of horried mess. the lady was unrecognizable! don't tell me that you have to look that bad to get it! that's a bunch of BS cause my previous derm. prescribed accutane to me and i did have cystic acne.... i want to have a second go around but this derm. says that he won't due to the tighter restrictions on prescribing accutane. the FDA is reigning the drug in and taking over to make sure it's being used for the type of acne he showed me... said that b/c of the abuse of the drug and the side effects it's causing... he can no longer prescribe accutane to most acne sufferers.

any suggestions? could i order some overseas? i'm desperate and wish to use it again as it's the only thing to completely clear up my skin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
    arc1337
    (male)

arc1337 HB User
    Re: my derm. refuses to prescribe me accutane

Go to a different derm... What happen to the one who previoiusly prescribed you Tane?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
    PinkGrape

PinkGrape HB User

I just went to mine today and he practically sold me on it (but I think I'm going to give spiro and diet a try first). He was willing to give it to me and I have one active cyst and a few red marks from old ones. Just try another derm quickly.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkeyes
    yea that's right... he says that my face would have to have at least 60% cystic lesions for him to be able to prescribe me accutane. he even showed me a pic of the amount/type of acne that warranted accutane. and i can tell you that 99% of people getting the drug don't have that type of horried mess. the lady was unrecognizable! don't tell me that you have to look that bad to get it! that's a bunch of BS cause my previous derm. prescribed accutane to me and i did have cystic acne.... i want to have a second go around but this derm. says that he won't due to the tighter restrictions on prescribing accutane. the FDA is reigning the drug in and taking over to make sure it's being used for the type of acne he showed me... said that b/c of the abuse of the drug and the side effects it's causing... he can no longer prescribe accutane to most acne sufferers.

any suggestions? could i order some overseas? i'm desperate and wish to use it again as it's the only thing to completely clear up my skin
    sounds like dermi bs to me

Old 10-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

I would just go to a different dermatologist. There are some out there (like yours) that will only prescribe it in worse case scenarios, but there not all like that. I was on Accutane twice and I've never gotten a cyst in my life. Also, I wouldnít suggest that you get it online because itís too dangerous to take it without blood work.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User

I'm really sorry about your acne problems, but I agree with the derm. Even though I haven't taken it, Accutane has to many serious side effects.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
    boardR2

boardR2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Green1
    I'm really sorry about your acne problems, but I agree with the derm. Even though I haven't taken it, Accutane has to many serious side effects.
    You CANT say anything you have never taken it. Accutane has been the best thing that has happened to me in SOOOO long. People who fear accutane can live with there oilyness and cysts. Im on day 56 and near acne free and oil free. Only side effects are chapped lips and dry skin for me.

Last edited by boardR2; 10-19-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Question Re: my derm. refuses to prescribe me accutane

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boardR2
    You CANT say anything you have never taken it. Accutane has been the best thing that has happened to me in SOOOO long. People who fear accutane can live with there oilyness and cysts. Im on day 56 and near acne free and oil free. Only side effects are chapped lips and dry skin for me.
    Well you are right I haven't taken it, and I won't because to me, chances of serious side effects might happen. I just think their could be something safer....

Old 10-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
    boardR2

boardR2 HB User

Just what serious side effects are you talking about?

Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
    darkeyes

darkeyes HB User

i moved out of state and so had to switch dermatologists. it sucks b/c this one is probably the cheapest here in town where i live. i'm seriously considering ordering online. can't stand this anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arc1337
    Go to a different derm... What happen to the one who previoiusly prescribed you Tane?

Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 AM   #11
    darkeyes

darkeyes HB User

yes, but it is offered online... and people take advantage of that. i did take accutane before and i know what to expect...plus, my lipid/liver blood work was not bad at all throughout my therapy. i'm thinking perhaps my body will 'recognize' or adjust better to the medicine the second time. time to do some serious thinking about options here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsmith007
    I would just go to a different dermatologist. There are some out there (like yours) that will only prescribe it in worse case scenarios, but there not all like that. I was on Accutane twice and I've never gotten a cyst in my life. Also, I wouldnít suggest that you get it online because itís too dangerous to take it without blood work.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:57 AM   #12
    darkeyes

darkeyes HB User

wow, talk about the opposite end of the spectrum! you see derms like mine who are stingy, unsympathetic (yes he was so wooden and indifferent while i was crying in his office...even told me it was probably genetic and that i could expect to most likely give it to my kids and/or grandkids if it skips a generation). i think he's very rude overall besides the accutane thing... he was always rushing me in the room during my last 2 visits and i notice that he has fewer patients on his list than his colleague. hmmmm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkGrape
    I just went to mine today and he practically sold me on it (but I think I'm going to give spiro and diet a try first). He was willing to give it to me and I have one active cyst and a few red marks from old ones. Just try another derm quickly.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #13
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Accutane has liver and mental health side effects, plus hair fall out eyesight problems such as dry eyes. Many medical researchers are saying that the side effects are so serious that accutane should be taken off the market.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
    karen t.

karen t. HB User

DO NOT buy accutane on-line, this a powerful drug which needs to be monitored. A blood test has to be done each month to check your liver, and females have to have a pregnacy test before they will even administer this drug. The birth defects are horrible of a child conceived while taking accutane. This drug has so many side-effects that doctors are using this drug as a last resort. The doctor will not prescribe another script until your blood work comes back normal. Good luck to all, hopefully one day dermatologist can become absoulete.

Old 10-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #15
    sammypoo01
    (female)

sammypoo01 HB User

I'd say get a new dermatologist... all dermatologists are different... I only had mild acne and mine encouraged me to use accutane... and it has worked out wonderfully for me.

Closed Thread