It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 1 1/2 years since Accutane - my results, etc....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
    groovelicious
    (male)

groovelicious HB User
    Post 1 1/2 years since Accutane - my results, etc....

Hi everyone,

I hardly doubt anyone on this board remembers me at all. It's been 1 1/2 years after finishing my accutane treatment. I started at the age of 25 and had cystic acne. I had no superficial acne but just cysts that periodically appeared that left indentations and permanent scars. My acne was mostly on my forehead. Doctors would not prescribe me Accutane at the time because they thought it wasn't that bad. However, I went into severe depression because of my acne. I got a prescription through a family doctor instead. I went on a 4 month course of 40mg. I had a small initial breakout but I haven't had any cysts since the course finished. Everyone I talk to say I have no acne at all. My scars however are still there and visible but that should improve over time. I don't use any acne medications since the accutane but wash with Dove Sensitive cloths everyday. The cloths have vitamin E and A and moisturizer so I find it simple and it will help improve the skin. Since the accutane, my skin is always dry so I need to constantly exfoliate. The only side effect is the hair loss. I started losing hair since the treatment. My doc says it's not but I'm positive because...how can all of a sudden my hair start falling out. It's not that bad though, there are many guys my age who have it worse. Anyway, for the acne, accutane is the best decision I have ever made. I still get a pimple here and there but they go away in hours and not months that they used to....

take care everyone,

and I can always answer your questions...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
    Killjoy

Killjoy HB User
    Hey Groovelicious, I do remember you!! Kinda shows how long I've been on this board. I was actually thinking of maybe going on accutane again as nothing else seems to work. I've taken it twice before, but the second time I didn't finish the full course and my derm said I need a full course to reduce the chance of relapse. My situation is similar to yours, I'm 25 and get mostly cystic acne on my cheeks (the T zone is clear). The acne is seriously affecting my life at a time when I should and could be doing so much more. Was this your first accutane course or have you taken it before? I'm at the end of the rope and I don't know if I should take the plunge and go through it all again!

Old 04-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
    groovelicious
    (male)

groovelicious HB User
    That's the reason, I started the Accutane. I didn't want acne to run my life. That was my first course. I don't need to ever go on it again. Couple tips on the accutane.

1) Don't think about it....just pop the pill like a vitamin
    2) Make sure you take it with milk
    3) Wash with a mild soap like cetaphil or dove sensitive
    4) Take a vitamin E supplement...this will help with the dryness and itchy scalp
    5) Stay away from greasy moisturizers...use little bits of cetaphil (don't overdue it)
    6) No AHA's...
    7) Think positive, in the end you will result in having no more acne...

Old 04-06-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
    Dom

Dom HB User
    hey groove....im starting accutane tommorow actualy. Passed all the blood tests. Iv had it with this S***. could u by any chance give me a step to step on what to do? i.e. take pill, wash face, use moisterizer..ect....thx. and what are ADA's? happy to see u had good results. hopefully i will be just as lucky!

Old 04-12-2003, 10:00 AM   #5
    groovelicious
    (male)

groovelicious HB User
    Hey Dom,

You don't need to change any routine's while on accutane. Just make sure you take it with Milk. I usually took it after breakfast. AHA's are acids which can irritate the skin. Be gentle to your skin. I do remember that my eyes went dry and blurry but it went away after I was done with the treatment. The only side effect was hairloss which I'm trying to recover from.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
    TiredOfThisAll
    Veteran

TiredOfThisAll HB User
    why do you say take it with milk?

Old 04-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
    swissmiss

swissmiss HB User
    Hi groovelicious,

I remember you too and I am so happy that the accutane worked for you. I finished my course of accutane almost a year ago...but my acne came back unfortunately and I also developed rosacea and frequent migraine headaches from the accutane course. Now, I'm not sure where to proceed next...right now I am using differin gel at night and jojoba oil during the day...but i've only been using them for about 8 weeks so no results yet really....anyway, do some of the people on this board that think accutane doesn't work long term for anyone a big favor and pop in every once and a while to let them know how things are going ok? take care and stay clear

------------------
    --^Carol^--

Old 04-12-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
    ~Annie

~Annie HB User
    Hey Groov, Thanks for the post. I'm starting month 4 of accutane and I'm so happy with the results I'm glad your acne did not come back. So your hair starting falling out after you stopped taking accutane? Is it still falling out? I've heard a product called nioxin is suppose to help thinning hair. ~Annie

[This message has been edited by ~Annie (edited 04-12-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 05:09 AM   #9
    groovelicious
    (male)

groovelicious HB User
    swissmiss,

I also remember you! But we never were tied to any conversations. It's funny, I had my own group of Acne buddies at the time and we all started accutane at the same time. I have talked to two of them since (both females) and one of them is doing great. The other is back on medications. I was trying to figure out the differences between the three of us but was unable to. Well anyway, it's funny you mentioned rosacea and migranes. After the treatment my skin went super-sensitive. I developed rashes all over my forehead. And they were spontaneous. Some doc's told me it was eczema while other told me it was rosacea. I didn't fall for that crap. I didn't want to be on any more meds for my skin. I was convinced that it was the Accutane drying out my skin and removing my natural oils. And I thought time was the answer. I exfoliated regulary realizing that many of the rashes were caused by dry dead skin that was sticking to the skin. This happened for 3 months. After that it started to happen less and less and now I don't even think about it. The vitamin E 400iu is what I think is helping orally. So I still get a whitehead now and then but so does almost everyone. It's been 1 year 1/2 of no cysts or major zits. So here is my regimine now:

1) Wake up and wash with Dove Cleansing Cloth - Sensitive....I like this because it also has anti-aging properties. My cheeks are now crystal clear and look like I'm 16 years old. The exfoliation is helping the tone of my forehead. Believe it or not, it contains Retinyl and Vitamin E.
    2) Put on Cetaphil lotion - I can vouch that the Cream sux and clogs pores while the lotion absorbs quickly and moisturizes the skin.
    3) NO ACNE MEDICINE - I never thought there would be a day
    4) Take supplements:
    2g B5 - For Hair and Skin
    Zinc - Don't know the dosage but normal (overall one of the best vitamins especially for males)
    Saw Palmetto - 160mg 2x a day (4 1/2 months), using it to combat hair loss
    Vitamin E 400iu
    L-lysine - essential amino acid
    5) Drink 3 cups of Green Tea Everyday - A co-worker recommended it for hair and skin.
    5) Night - nothing

Annie,
    The hairloss continued. Don't know if it's accutane related. I am 27 now so it could just be normal. It's not that bad but I noticed it after stopping the accutane. I am still shedding a quite bit but I started Rogaine to maintain. My gf says it's not noticable so that a plus. I think Accutane causes TE (Tellogen Effilum) which is usually due to stress or vitamin A toxicity, etc. But not DHT or normal MPB. I think once the high levels of Vitamin A are out of my system, it will start to improve.

Closed Thread