It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Ortho to Yasmin Switch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User
    Ortho to Yasmin Switch

Hi Everyone!
    My doctor just switched me from Orthocyclin to Yasmin. Did anyone else undergo this switch? If so, did you see a difference in your acne? How soon did you? Were there bad side effects? Does anyone know the difference between orthocyclin and yasmin?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
    Lynn37

Lynn37 HB User
    Re: Ortho to Yasmin Switch

I tried ortho for one cycle and my skin was considerably worse. Then I switched to Yasmin and my oil and acne improved by the second week. I've been on Yas for 4 months now. It's working, the only problem is my mood. I'm slightly depressed and much more irritable. Not sure what to do.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Katrina -

Hi! I am also interested in any other replies to your thread.

I am currently on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo, but am interested in switching to either Yasmin or Desogen. I have been sticking with OTC Lo since January, but it is very inconsistent when it comes to my skin.

I guess I am just scared to switch to something else since I never experienced any side effects from OTC Lo.

Any other replies??

Old 10-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

I was on Yasmin first. Had to discontinue because of nausea but my skin was looking good. Tried ortho lo and it was a disaster for my skin. Now I'm on Desogen and doing fine.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:18 AM   #5
    acnemom
    (female)

acnemom HB User

My daughter switched from Ortho to Yasmin end of August, i will say that she has had a terrible flare up, whether is from the Yasmin or not hard to say. Will continute on it though and keep you posted.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
    sammy726
    (female)

sammy726 HB User

I was on OTC Lo last year and my skin was horrible too. I've been on regular OTC for 6 months now and my skin looks great.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
    otherworldly
    (female)

otherworldly HB User
    Smile Re: Ortho to Yasmin Switch

I didnt switch from OTC to Yasmin...but I did start taking Yasmin for a month....I wasn't on it long enough to see if their was a change in my skin because Yasmin gave me HORRIBLE mood swings, caused depression for me and for no reason at all. Once in awhile I would just start crying for no reason. Same thing happened to my sister when she took Yasmin. I had to switch to Necon because I couldn't take it. I've been taking Necon for about 3 months now and no side effects and it has really really cleared up my skin.
    Everyones body acts different to different types....but I have heard nothing positive about Yasmin from people I know or on here.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammy726
    I was on OTC Lo last year and my skin was horrible too. I've been on regular OTC for 6 months now and my skin looks great.
    Hey sammy726-

Did you switch directly from OTC Lo to regular OTC? If so, did you get another initial breakout? My initial breakout for OTC Lo was HORRIBLE and I don't want that to happen again.

I am going to let my gyno to decide if I should switch to Yasmin, Desogen, or regular OTC. Unfortunately, I need to make sure that my health insurance will cover whatever pill I am given.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2004, 07:12 AM   #9
    PinkGrape

PinkGrape HB User

I'm making this switch starting this week actually. If this thread is still around in a week or two I'll post my results.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #10
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

PinkGrape-

Definately try and keep us all posted. I know that there would be a number of women on this board who would be interested in your results--myself included!

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #11
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katrinamp
    Hi Everyone!
    My doctor just switched me from Orthocyclin to Yasmin. Did anyone else undergo this switch? If so, did you see a difference in your acne? How soon did you? Were there bad side effects? Does anyone know the difference between orthocyclin and yasmin?

Thanks!

Katrina - you asked what was different about yasmin. I think it has small amounts of spironolactone in it which has an anti-androgenic effect. BTW - orthotricyclen broke my daughter out so badly that she had to go on accutane.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #12
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkGrape
    I'm making this switch starting this week actually. If this thread is still around in a week or two I'll post my results.
    Pink Grape- I am starting this switch on Friday. I would love to stay in touch with you through this bulletin board on your progress!

Old 11-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    Katrina - you asked what was different about yasmin. I think it has small amounts of spironolactone in it which has an anti-androgenic effect. BTW - orthotricyclen broke my daughter out so badly that she had to go on accutane.
    Thanks, Skimom. I am going to ask a really stupid question- what is androgenic effect? I hear that used in bc topics but don't really know what it means! Also, I am on orthocyclin now, not the tri. In ortho, the hormone levels are even for the whole three weeks.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
    PinkGrape

PinkGrape HB User

I'll be happy to post my results. Let's try to remember to bump this thread up in 2 weeks or so.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #15
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkGrape
    I'll be happy to post my results. Let's try to remember to bump this thread up in 2 weeks or so.

ok. will do!

Closed Thread