It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• does salicylic acid cause wrinkles??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
    legallyblonde

legallyblonde HB User
    does salicylic acid cause wrinkles??

oh my gosh i dont know why but lately i've notice when i smile in the mirror, like the right side of my face has like kind of ripple-like wrinkles...totally not apparent when im not smiling or anything..but when i smile it's like from mid cheek up to my eye just on the very side of my face that my skin is getting this ripple-like effect!! i dont want it to be like this or get worse!! so i thought it might be from salicylic acid or maybe doing one of those Vita-K at home chemical peels (which are so not strong) too much....but i thought those kind of minor glycolic peels did things to HELP wrinkles..not create them!! im so confused on if i should totally stop using these or what, cuz they really do help! if anybody has any ideas let me know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
    rocknroll1234

rocknroll1234 HB User
    Re: does salicylic acid cause wrinkles??

funny I posted a topic about this last week. I was trying to figure out if SA or my topical antibiotic would make my skin age faster because I have recently noticed that my forehead line after frowning would still visible compared to the smoother forehead I once remembered. Also being in my 20's I don't think I should be getting forehead wrinkles yet. I have also been get pot/ice pick marks. Im not a picker either.

For the past 8 or so months I have been using sacylic cleansers, moisturizers, masks etc. I have currently stopped using all these products. Im not sure if my acne will get worse because of this but my skin defenetely doesn't look as dead as is used to.

I will probably still use my SA cleanser a couple of times a week but am defenetely not leaving products on my face that have SA in them.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 11-06-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
    rocknroll1234

rocknroll1234 HB User

Products I have been using with SA also contain the active ingredient 'Triclosan'. Im not sure what this is and need to find out.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
    scorpion990

scorpion990 HB User

I don't know too much about this kind of acid, but it might just be that your skin is dry, and not wrinkled. Use the product less often, and gradually work your way up to more applications daily.

Old 11-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

I donít think what you are talking about are wrinkles. When you use certain acids they dry out your face and cause your skin to peel. In the early stages of peeling your skin (in sensitive areas) may shrivel up looking like wrinkles, but in fact its just dry skin that hasnít come off your face yet. This has happened to me and once the dry skin peels off the skin underneath is smooth with no wrinkles. Also, how old are you?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
    legallyblonde

legallyblonde HB User

i've been using this face wash that has triclosan in it too- noxema triple clean cleanser- it seems to be working pretty good...and before that i was using purpose gentle cleansing bar...and i started noticing these ripples then too..i dont think it's just dry skin cuz i think i started noticing it about 2 months ago...maybe it is just reallly dry though and needs constant moisturization for awhile to get back to normal...i'm only 21 and it's like not wrinkles but just like damaged skin or something in that ripple effect..it's SO hard to explain- maybe it's from a sunburn or something?? i really need to fix it though..if u guys saw me u'd prob. be like what the heck is she talking about i dont see anything?? but when i look in the mirror with light reflecting on that side of my face, i can see it up close.. i hope somebody knows what i'm talking about...oh, i've also been using the noxema triple clean cleansing pads w/salicylic acid in them and i'm gonna lay off using them on that part of my face- oh also another thing about where these ripples are is that the pores over on that side of my face seem kinda large..let me know what u guys think!

Old 11-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
    sammypoo01
    (female)

sammypoo01 HB User

I think any kind of product that strips your skin of its natural oil can certainly cause wrinkles... I think it has to do with the fact that our natural oil has something to do with our collagen as well? Not too sure... but that's what i've heard.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
    legallyblonde

legallyblonde HB User

so what do u suggest i do???

Old 11-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #9
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

When the "wrinkles" appear, the skin never peels in that area and they have never gone away? When you explained it again it sounds like what I had, but that was just dry skin (it looked exactly like your saying). How long have you noticed the wrinkly skin? Also, no product would cause you to get wrinkles like that at such a rapid pace. Like you said earlier, all of the peels are supposed to help wrinkles, but I donít know what they do in the long run, but it wouldnít cause anything that fast.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
    legallyblonde

legallyblonde HB User

the "wrinkles" or "ripples" whatever u wanna call em..i just started noticing i'd say about 3-4 months ago..and now it's consuming me whenever i think about it cuz i think it might be more apparent. i was also thinking maybe this might be the alignment of my pores on this area of my face..like how they're kind of large and when i squint or smile it makes these ripples because of the shape of my pores or poor texture of my skin here. how can i fix this!!?? or do u think maybe this could be from a bad sunburn?? but it's only on the right side of my face (again, from my eye to midcheek). thanks to anyone who's got suggestions!

Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #11
    sammypoo01
    (female)

sammypoo01 HB User

well.. if you started to notice these so-called "Wrinkles" about 4 months ago... i would think that could be a potentially bad thing if they have not gone away yet... have you seen a derm? Maybe its a product you have been using lately? Has there been a certain skin care product that you have been using in your regimen for the past 5 or so months???

Last edited by sammypoo01; 11-08-2004 at 12:29 PM.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #12
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Well the skin under your eye and on your cheeks is sensitive skin. Itís hard to say what it is. The best advice would probably to go see a dermatologist and get his/her opinion. They could probably help you the best on how to fix it.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #13
    legallyblonde

legallyblonde HB User

vita-k chemical peel...could that have anything to do with it?

Closed Thread