It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Sugar Sugar!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
    surenitynow

surenitynow HB User
    Sugar Sugar!

are any of you on any sort of low-glycemic diet?? or have tried it?
    ive been reading up on this and im convinced that eating low-glycemic foods has got to be good for not only your whole body but it cant hurt acne.

so im wondering if your doing this how its going for you? im really going to try it, i found a site that will tell me what foods are good and low. i also checked up on the foods i have been eating (that i thought were low in sugar) but they are more in the middle range...theres alot of good foods still to eat that are low in sugar- plus i stopped drinking milk and only drink soy milk, which im glad i did.

but im going to try it! so if any of you are doing it too or are thinking about it id love to hear from you! any thoughts welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
    ClearSkin4ever
    Inactive

ClearSkin4ever HB User
    Re: Sugar Sugar!

Read "The Acne Prescription" by dr perricone. It talks about that in his book. High sugar creates inflamation and clogs up pores which is why some people have acne. I tried his 3 day diet which cleared up my back and then my face took awhile possibly because I was on Retin-A which kinda made it difficult, but my face clears up good when I am on a low glycemic diet including oatmeal, vegetables, eggs and fruits. They helpe repair and nourish the skin.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #3
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Most Americans, 86 percent eat a very poor diet that is high glycemic. However only one percent of the people get bad cysic acne. So I would have to say acne is mainly genetic rather than diet.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
    surenitynow

surenitynow HB User

are you concluding that its genetics rather than diet based on those 1% with cystic acne?.....what percent of people have regular, non-cystic acne? because i dont have cystic.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
    amb1
    (female)

amb1 HB User

I had severe cystic acne prior to taking accutane. Now it's back and I would consider it moderate.

Growing up, I was taught to eat well and I still do! Majority of diet is raw fruit and veg. I have taken care to watch the glycemic index for years.

And I still have problems. Darn it!!!

BUT! Just because diet isn't a factor for me doesn't mean that it might not work for you! I say try it! What do you have to lose, and plus, like you said, it's just a healthier way for your entire body overall!!!

I am sure there are many people on this board that will tell you that a healthful diet is a major factor in keeping things under control.

I say try it-- you might like it!!!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

A low glycemic fiet will prevent hardening of the arteries, but it has no effect on acne. The fact is acne is passed along by a dominant gene. It dosent mean everyone in the family will have acne. The acne gene seems to be found mainly in Europe and Asia. The American Indians had no acne and the Seminole tribe still does not have any.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Sure, some people are prone to acne while others are not... And yes, that is likely due to genetics, but wouldn't you agree that some people who are "prone due to genetics" can have worse skin by eating bad foods? I would say that those who inherited acne-prone skin didn't inherit the actual acne, but the skin that is prone to it. If they change their diet, they are certainly doing nothing but helping their acne-prone skin by nourishing it with the necessary nutrients it needs to be and look healthy. People without acne prone skin can probably eat a diet heavy in sugar and not be at all affected with acne because their skin is not prone to creating acne from inflamatory materials. That is not the case with those with acne-prone skin. Genetically acne-prone skin is extra sensitive to the presense of bacteria/oil on the skin, stress, hormones, and/or dietary issues.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
    surenitynow

surenitynow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katrinamp
    Sure, some people are prone to acne while others are not... And yes, that is likely due to genetics, but wouldn't you agree that some people who are "prone due to genetics" can have worse skin by eating bad foods? I would say that those who inherited acne-prone skin didn't inherit the actual acne, but the skin that is prone to it. If they change their diet, they are certainly doing nothing but helping their acne-prone skin by nourishing it with the necessary nutrients it needs to be and look healthy. People without acne prone skin can probably eat a diet heavy in sugar and not be at all affected with acne because their skin is not prone to creating acne from inflamatory materials. That is not the case with those with acne-prone skin. Genetically acne-prone skin is extra sensitive to the presense of bacteria/oil on the skin, stress, hormones, and/or dietary issues.

hey thats a good point..i know that diet may not effect some people (like causing acne) because i know some people who eat whatever the heck they want and still have good skin... but this did get me thinking that diet and acne-prone skin is sensitive to certian eating habits... i just think that eating foods that are healthy (im leaning towards low glycemic foods) and foods that provide good vitamins for you, then it must help in some way.

we know that vitamin A is good for skin health right (im not really sure what vitamins do what exactly) but figure if you eat foods high in vitamin A for example, then it will probably better your skin health..

i guess its just people who are sensitive to certian ingrediants (sugar..ect) than a diet will have a better effect on them. it would all be so simple if diet cured everyone, but like most say, a healthy diet cant hurt. By the way, thanks for everyones comments!

Old 11-10-2004, 06:15 AM   #9
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Food does not cause acne. Food allergies are a different reaction and can kill a person. No one has ever demonstrated that acne is caused by sugar, chocolate, or fried foods. That is a myth that is hard to stop.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
    beautyskindeep
    Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Quote:
    I agree my theory is this, people who don't have acne, body just naturally produces more than what those who do have acne produce. For instance when I take my vitamins,drink lots of water or eat properly everyday consistently, my skin begans to clear up and my complexion is good, where as my friend has that look to her skin naturally. Why? because her body might not react to diary or lack of water like acne-prone skin, Not to say eat right and you won't have acne ever, that's just not sensible, but it sure can help.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #11
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by openseason
    Food does not cause acne. Food allergies are a different reaction and can kill a person. No one has ever demonstrated that acne is caused by sugar, chocolate, or fried foods. That is a myth that is hard to stop.
    Ok, well, you can have your opinion and we can have ours. There has been documented research for both sides of the argument so there is no definite right or wrong.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Please point me to the study which shows food makes acne worse, I would like to read it.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
    rocknroll1234

rocknroll1234 HB User

Well if tommorrow I ate a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and large fries, then for dinner had a KFC 3piece meal with large fries, mash potato and gravy...guess what!

The next couple of days I would have big zits that wouldn't be there if I had eaten fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a non-breaded greasy chicken meal for dinner.

Am I 100% clear? No but I do know that I would have far more spots if I ate crap all the time compared to my current eating habbits.

I am currently on meds for acne but have asked a couple of derms about the food and acne correlation. They have said there is no correlation. Then 5 mins later im handing over a wad of cash for the prescription they just gave me.......hmm.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 11-10-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #14
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by openseason
    Please point me to the study which shows food makes acne worse, I would like to read it.

Yup, just as SOON as you point us to a recent study involving food and acne that doesn't have the word chocolate in it.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Bravo

Closed Thread