It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane Pulled from Market?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User
    Accutane Pulled from Market?

Exerpts from top news story - November 18:

"WASHINGTON (AP) - At least five medications now sold to consumers pose such risks that their sale should be limited or stopped, said a government drug reviewer who raised safety questions earlier about the arthritis drug Vioxx.

In testimony Thursday before the Senate Finance Committee, Food and Drug Administration reviewer David Graham cited Meridia, Crestor, Accutane, Bextra and Serevent. Drug makers defended the use and safety of their products.

Accutane, an acne drug linked to birth defects. Graham said the drug represents a 20-year "regulatory failure" by the FDA and sales should be restricted immediately. "

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User
    Re: Accutane Pulled from Market?

Yea I also read that article. I personally donít think that itís going to happen. Accutane has been under attack from people from the day that it came out because of all the side effects (especially when the whole suicide thing surfaced). The bottom line is that Accutane is the ONLY drug that helps millions of people who have no were else to turn, and all the experts are going to have to realize that. If anything, they would just make it harder to get, but I donít even think that is going to happen.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Well it seems the main reaosn they want to pull accutane is because of birth defects. I mean this makes perfect sense to me.... I just think maybe it would make sense to have a law or something restricting you to have a child within a certain period of taking accutane. It's probably been a few stupid women in the world who had a child while on accutane or shortly after that are arrousing all these concerns.

I think they should pull cigarettes off the market before they pull accutane, same deal.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:15 AM   #4
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

There are alot of complaints filed about accutane. It is in the top three for amount of complaints filed with the FDA. David Graham is concerned about the long term safety of Accutane whatever that means.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User

Removing Accutane from the market would probably increase the amount of money drug companies make as acne sufferers would then be forced to accept long term antibiotics and creams etc also i think that we would probably see more suicide attempts if Accutane was banned as people who take it as a last resort would have no where to turn to next.
    THAT'S JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION

Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

I have heard way more bad things about Accutane than good. Some of the side effects are tolerable, some are disturbing (like joint pain) but what scares me is we dont even know the long terms effects it can have. In my opinion I think it needs to be regulated very strictly. It should only be perscribed to people with SEVERE ANCE. Ance that destroys people's faces. I have moderate acne that does get really bad sometimes and I have obviously looked into it to know some things and I counted it out pretty quickly. It should also be regulated strictly of course for women who can have children. LIke that law that one of you mentioned. that would be a good idea. Oh! I also read somewhere once that accutane is 1 of only 3 perscription drugs that has this certain type of warning label that is serious. Dont know if that is true or not.

Last edited by LkK2507; 11-19-2004 at 08:35 AM.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:35 AM   #7
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

The FDA pulled L tryptophan and there was really nothing wrong with it. A factory made one bad batch. The FDA should ban cigarettes, but the tobacco makers are exempted from FDA regulations by Congress. (cough)

Old 11-19-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
    HalloweenKitty

HalloweenKitty HB User

Peronally, I think they suck if they pull it from the market. As a fellow acne-sufferer, I've tried all oral meds, topicals, nutritional (except the lemon juice thing; I'm gonna give that a whirl) and nothing helped (my cystic acne) except Accutane.

I feel I can speak to the whole suicide-depression thing as well; I have ADHD (diagnosed my Senior year in COLLEGE, NO LESS!) and take ritalin (which is a Godsend, in my opinion) and Prozac for depression.

At no point whatsoever when I was taking Accutane did I feel 'suicidal'; I followed all of the care-measures as I'm sure most of us 'good' patients do and my skin gradually cleared up (I still get breakouts but I'm on ProActiv to manage that; the cystic acne was out of control).

It really pisses me off when the FDA or whomever start making these 'decisions' for 'our own good'; if someone was irresponsible and became pregnant, shame on them, not the drug.

If they're so worried about birth defects and suicide and depression, why don't they do something to 'stop' the alcohol business? God forbid.

I'm so happy I was able to take Accutane before all this stupid political bull came out; I've gone thru enough red-tape as I'm sure you all have to have clear skin. No one should be denied that, by anyone. Peace out

Old 11-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #9
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User

Accutane has side effects-yes. What medicine doesn't? This is just ridiculous. Accutane has helped millions live a normal life. No, it didn't get rid of my acne, but it did make mine less severe. I very thankful just for that!!! NOBODY (meaning the FDA and public in general) was paying ANY attention to Accutane until that politician's son killed himself, and then that boy's PARENTS blamed it on Accutane. Okay, am I missing something here? A politician becomes an expert on medicines all of a sudden? But anyway, I'm not gonna get off all into that. Accutane has helped millions. I don't see them taking it off the market. If they do, it will be a shame.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
    Zshock
    (male)

Zshock HB User

Well that sucks, I've tried everything...oral meds, diet change, topicals (which I can't take because of my super sensitive skin). I have severe cystic acne and on a good day it feels like someone stabbed me all over my body with a knife whenever I move. The cysts are so painful and my back, face, neck, and chest are so scarred. I can't even lay comfortably without feeling the pain of these cysts and if my shirt catches just the right angle it trips my pain sensors and I just collapse in pain from these cysts. If they pull accutane I would be left with nothing to fight my severe cystic acne. Long term antibiotics I guess, but eventually my liver and my immune system will wear away to nothing. I have to pay for the mistakes other people have made while on this drug? That's insane if you ask me.

I've tried everything and nothing else works. I guess if they take accutane off the market I would have to go on painkillers to fight the pain from my cysts...and I would probably never step foot outside my house because of my horrible scarring.

Last edited by Zshock; 11-19-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
    elsabe
    Inactive

elsabe HB User

I agree with Haloween Kitty. They shouldn't pull a drug just because people are too stupid to follow directions. Accutane was the only drug that helped my acne, after being tortured by from 4th grade onwards. I had tried everything else under the sun - topicals, pills, diets, you name it, and Accutane was the only thing that worked. Yes, it can have some potentially nasty side effects, but I'd bet that for anyone who's seriously suffered from acne and all the social hell it causes, the benefits of having clear skin far outweigh any unpleasant side effects.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I am suprised diet did not clear your acne. Do you have any idea why diet did not work for you?

Old 11-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
    Zshock
    (male)

Zshock HB User

I read something on this thread that made alot of sense. They should pull tobacco and alcohol off the market way before they even consider taking accutane off the market. I thought about this and a question that I thought about was how many people are killed in drunk driving accidents each year compared to how many people are killed by accutane. How many people get cancer and die each year compared to how many people have ill side effects from accutane. I just don't understand how they could allow STUPID things like tobacco and alcohol to remain on the market when it has been proven that they destroy the body and kill hundreds if not millions each year. Like I said before they should take alcohol and tobacco off the market way before they even consider taking certain drugs off the market.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User

elsabe,

So, true. READ THE DIRECTIONS, YOU ACCUTANE HATERS!!! (not referring to anyone on this board). I mean, it says on the package about umpteen-million times that it causes birth defects. It has little drawings of pregnant women with a cirlce and red line going through the circle. It has sketches of what a baby will look like if you take Accutane while you're pregnant. About every other sentence listed under precautions tells you that you should not become pregnant while on Accutane and to use birth control. But I guess there will always be those who don't want to take responsibility for their actions that may have resulted in tragedy due to the fact they were deliberately ignorant.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #15
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

It really is not about people reading directions. I think there may be other problems with accutane that the FDA knows about, but the public does not. As with vioxx the manufacturer knew it caused strokes, but sold the drug anyway. The FDA receives a lot of complaints about accutane, even with all the warnings.

Closed Thread