It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I want to take Vitamin A, but I can't swallow pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
    scorpion990

scorpion990 HB User
    I want to take Vitamin A, but I can't swallow pills

What are the chances that my local supermarket will have chewable vitamins? Is there anything I can do to "learn" how to swallow pills?

"Practice makes perfect" doesn't really work here. I don't want to die from overdose Plus. Its not that I can't do it well, its that I can't do it at all.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User
    Re: I want to take Vitamin A, but I can't swallow pills

I was exactly like you. Trust me. I never swallowed pills. For anything. But then I came to the conclusion that I'd rather die than have acne and swallowing pills couldn't be as bad as dying. So I started swallowing pills and it sucked at first, but it became easy. I still clench my fists and grimace every time I take a pill, but it isn't bad. I still don't take medicine for headaches or stomach aches or any other kind of pain cause I don't like swallowing pills, but for acne, I do it without thinking twice.

The only special tip I can give you is to fill your mouth with water, then slide the pill in and swallow. That's the way I do it. I don't like putting the pill in first and then trying to wash it down with water.

Saw my reflection and cried
    So little hope that I died

Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
    drenyob
    (male)

drenyob HB User

I just have to say it is all about confidence.

Suck it up Scorpion and just do it! You'll be fine.

One more thing, dont do some scared half swallow, just do a normal swallow and it will work fine.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
    ForgottenFaith
    Veteran
    (male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

Try taking a pill with a thick drink like a shake. Something lumpy so you won't feel it as much as it goes down. I really dont know what to tell you.

Last edited by ForgottenFaith; 11-25-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
    surenitynow

surenitynow HB User

you can also try cutting it in half if you think having smaller ones will help(that means though, youll have to do it twice)...

i was wondering how much vitamin A is a good amount to take every day (the mg?), i was thinking about taking it too but wasnt sure what a good dose is... also, does it usually cause an initial breakout?...

Old 11-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
    sunshine919

sunshine919 HB User

Try taking Nature's Way Beta-Carotene 25,000 IU. These caplets are coated and SUPER easy to swallow. Beta-Carotene is converted to Vit A by the liver. You really don't ever have to worry about taking too much, unlike Vit A. I would take one caplet 3 times a day to start.

Old 11-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #7
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

The amount of vitamin A you have to take to affect acne is very large each day, over 100,000 units. Then you have the risk of toxic levels of Vitamin A like liver damage.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #8
    scorpion990

scorpion990 HB User

Oh, wow. I thought 10,000 was enough. There is no way in hell I'm taking in that much Vitamin A. Acne is better than overdose.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Practice swallowing Tic-Tacs or some other small, slippery candy.

Old 12-25-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
    sleppy210
    Inactive

sleppy210 HB User

Since 5th grade (I'm now in my third year of college) I have been too afraid to swallow pills. I was even afraid to swallow the stars in chicken and stars soup!!! I have acne and I've been trying to find a natural remedy, and so I don't have to swallow pills I've always crushed them up and mixed them with orange juice or apple sauce. Recently I bought acidophilus (sp?) reuteri pills which are very small capsules. I swallowed them right down because they're tiny, and I have an easier time swallowing capsules anyway. So I figured that if I can swallow them, I can swallow someting a little bit bigger. So I tried and I did it. I have so many pills to go through. I think if you start off small, you can gradually build up to normal sized pills. Even when I was fed up trying to swallow pills I couldn't do it. But now, after all these years, I can finally swallow pills, except for caplets, I'm still scared of them. I can swallow advil, capsules, softgels (not big ones). But I will get there, I'll eventually be able to swallow tylenol caplets.

Closed Thread