It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• minocycline: brain effects, and stopping long-term use?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
    lsiise

lsiise HB User
    Question minocycline: brain effects, and stopping long-term use?

I've been taking 2 doses of minocycline (12 hours apart) per day for a little over 2 years. It did wonders for my acne as long as I treated my face REALLY REALLY WELL. But there's always been one thing I didn't like about it. As soon as I started taking it, I noticed that I just didn't seem to think as clearly, always slightly hazy or like I'm sort of detached from my senses or something. It made such a difference in my AWFUL acne that I decided it was worth it. And, I've read since then that it a common side effect of the drug is "lightheadedness". So I guess I'm not that worried about it.

BUT, I've been noticing a few things lately: even when I don't treat my face that well, my acne doesn't get very bad at all. Also, I noticed a zit-like thing with very dark pigment in it recently, which I've read means that minocycline is building up in the body and it's time to stop taking it.
    I would LOVE to stop taking it, because maybe then I could finally get back to feeling right in my head.
    So I was planning to switch to just taking one with dinner instead of one with dinner and another with breakfast.

So here's what I'm wondering:
    1. Is it a good idea to switch to 1 dose/day after being on 2 doses/day for 2 years?
    2. Have any of you other minocycline-takers experienced anything like the sort of hazy brain I was describing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
    Nametaken48

Nametaken48 HB User
    Re: minocycline: brain effects, and stopping long-term use?

I started weening off minocycline a few weeks ago. I started off taking 2 pills a day like you, or 14 pills a week. So what I did, instead of just dropping from 2 to 1 right away, is drop one pill a week. Currently I am taking 1 pill a day, or 7 a week, and my acne hasn't gotten any worse. I'm going to continue dropping it by one pill a week until I'm done. However, I have only been on minocycline since August. I think weening off is the best thing to do if you want to stop taking it. Also, are you on any topicals? If you are then I'm guessing you might just be able to drop from 2 to 1 right away if you want to, and the topical should keep the acne away. I'm on Differin and I think that has had more of an effect on my acne than mino. As for the second question, I've never really felt lightheaded, but often times run-down and just really tired. Also I get a few more headaches. I'm guessing taking it long-term would mean you will see more of the side effects.

Closed Thread