It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My accutane diary

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User
    My accutane diary

Hi everyone,

I am on day 12 of taking Accutane and thought I'd do a running post of my experience. I am a 38 year old women. I didn't have acne as a teen...my skin was great back then. I started getting cystic acne during my 20's and it has continued until now. I am not covered in pimples, but I usually have 2 or 3 at a time. They are very painful and can't be popped (although that doesn't stop me from trying!).

Over the years, I have tried Retin A, Differin, Clindomyacin, Proactive, BC pills, and all the OTC products. Nothing worked. I haven't done anything in about 7 or 8 years. I finally had enough and decided to make an appointment with a new derm and ask for Accutane. She put me on 40mg once a day.

As of today (day 12), I have no new pimples and the 3 I had when I started are almost gone. Also, I had tons of blackheads on my nose and they seem to be going away. My face is usually very oily and it is definately drier, but not in a bad way. My lips are also dry, but not too bad. I always use lip gloss anyway, so it hasn't been a big deal. No other side effects so far.

I really hope this works for me. I don't want to go straight from ACNE to WRINKLES!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User
    Re: My accutane diary

Oh, I forgot to say that I've also been taking 100iu of vitamin E for healing. Has that helped anyone else?

Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
    Ada232
    (female)

Ada232 HB User

are there any other side effects? do you get nausious or nose bleeds?

Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
    IHATEACNE1111

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wifey
    Oh, I forgot to say that I've also been taking 100iu of vitamin E for healing. Has that helped anyone else?
    only 100iu? that seems very low, I was told that you can take up to 1200iu

Old 11-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
    IHATEACNE1111

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

this is only my second day of accutane by the way, so naturally i have had no side effects. I had a great deal of energy today, but that was probably because i am soo excited that I finally have something that has a decent chance of working. I am only 17, and i know it will subside eventually, but my derm and i decided we neededto do something or i would have permanent scarring.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

No, I have no other side effects.

I think the vitamin E sounds too low, also. I'm going to try to find out how much I can safely take. I just happened to have those at home so I've been taking them.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
    MoonlightFlame
    Inactive

MoonlightFlame HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ada232
    are there any other side effects? do you get nausious or nose bleeds?
    Are those both typical side effects of Accutane?
    I am on my 5th day of treatment and today out of know where I was kinda woozy...I don't know if it's related, but maybe?

Ashley

Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
    IHATEACNE1111

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

when does all the dryness and what not set in, so i know when to apply the moisturizers and aquaphor, like i need to buy it...

Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

I know everyone is different, but my dryness (today at day #13) is not a problem at all. Maybe it will get worse as I continue with the Accutane, but right now it's not uncomfortable.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 AM   #10
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Day #14

I have a small pimple today. It's the first new one since I started the Accutane 2 weeks ago. It is a small "regular" pimple, not my usual huge cyst. My lips and face are still not uncomfortably dry like I expected. I used to use blotting papers (by Clean & Clear) numerous times a day. Now, I don't have any shine until the very end of the day. I hope it stays this way!

Old 12-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Day #17

That small "regular" pimple is now gone. This is unusual for me since my pimples usually last weeks or months.

My lips seem to be a little drier. I'm putting stuff (gloss, vaseline) constantly.My face is the same...dry, but not in a bad way.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
    BB4Real

BB4Real HB User

Hello... I'm on my 6th day now and it actually seems to be clearing me up already. I didn't have really bad acne but it was enough for me to go to the tane to get rid of it. My lips were a little dry today but I have been expecting that. Hopefully they don't get too bad.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Wifey, your cysts, where did you get them and how big, and when you say they lasted weeks or monthes you mean they were actually still sticking out and inflamed for that long or just the red marks were there that long, when you started in your 20's was it that bad then? Im 23 and I get cysts but most of them come to a very small white spot that I can just ever genly ***** with a needle and squeeze the stuff out. once I do that they go down and start healing. Ive had ones that I coudnt pop, mostly the few I get on my temple. one was pretty big (note close to a dime or anything) anyway I just let it go and it took about 3 weeks but now its just a real small dark spot and didnt leave any scar. I just hate dealing with them though. i guess Im just curious of how similar our acne is. Im scared of accutane. did your other derm not want you to do it?

Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #14
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Lkk,

My cysts are mostly jawline/chin area. Once in a while, cheek or nose. When I say months, I mean months. I had a big cyst in early August and when I started Accutane 18 days ago, it was still there. I also do the needle thing sometimes. Some stuff will come out, but the next day there is more. I could do that every day! It's like it fills up overnight

This is how it was in my 20's when I started getting acne. I didn't have it as a teen. I had my oldest child at 21 and it seemed to have started after that. I don't know if there's any connection.

My previous derm did not suggest Accutane and I didn't think my acne was bad enough to try it. He was a jerk and used to say things like..."What do ya wanna look like, a model?"

Old 12-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #15
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Thats not nice. Im in the process of switching derms cause the one I was going to seemed to just always want to put me on antibiotics and thats it. I dont think antibiotics are good for you. he just kinda blew me off too. Man sounds like you had it pretty bad. Im really scared of accutane., the lady I talked to at this new office says there is no reason to be. they monitor is so well you should be fine.
    I just dont know.

Closed Thread