It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #16
    annafcolbrie
    (female)

annafcolbrie HB User
    Re: 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

I did a google search on Sulfiset R, I got a lot of results but the drug is spelled Sulfacet R and if you search on that it gives even more results. It seems to be available to buy online and from what I can tell it is the same thing Mel wrote about, it's the same ingredients at least.

This medicine is an antibiotic and drying agent combination used to treat acne. This medicine works by promoting the shedding of the top layer of skin (keratolysis). It may also be used to treat other skin conditions as determined by your doctor.

Anna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #17
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Nice you beat me too the re search Im going to look more up about it.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #18
    Katrina
    (female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LkK2507
    I feel ya, Ive been getting really down about it lately. most of your guys break outs seem to get the on your cheeks and jaw. I used to never get them there. like I said mine are worse on my T zone (chin, forehead and occasional on my outer nose) Now I get a few here and there on my cheek and jaw but they arent usually huge. seems like the skin there is more prone to scaring and redness or something though. right now I have one close to my jaw line. its not too hateful though I guess. Ive had a ton of zits in my life and I dont have but a few very minor scars, just dark spots that go away eventually. do you think its cause your T zone area is less scar prone?

When i said I was going to switch BC pills I meant to switch from OTC Lo to regular OTC, is there an even different one? just called "OrthoCyclin"?? I didnt know that. I dont know if i want to try OTC or not. I guess it wouldnt hurt. is it bad for you to be on BC pills just for acne?

I might try that Sulfer lotion. I use a sulfer spot treatment for exsisting zits or healing ones I should say. its by Murad. it works good and diminishes the puffyness of the over night. Thanks
    Yes, there is Orthocyclin, Ortho-tricyclin, and Ortho-tricylcin-lo. The difference is that orthocyclin holds the same amount of hormones throughout the three weeks of the active pills while the ortho-tri has different levels of hormones each week for three weeks.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #19
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

as far as I know, that is what it is called, could be a generic name though, let me check-it is for topical use of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea, and seborrhic dermatitis.

No other name, but I will also look at my meds online-might give brand name. I use this one to three times a day, it is like a regular lotion. It can have a drying affect, but it isn't too bad (but I have very oily skin).
    I am pretty well acne free, the only time I really get them is if I mess with blackheads or b/c of hormones. Def ask your doc. I pay only a ten dollar copay.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #20
    lulu'smom

lulu'smom HB User

I'm 27 and I have just developed moderate acne earlier this yr. It's been quite a nightmare to develop this problem so suddenly at this age but I guess it's just bad luck. Nothing in my life has changed, diet is the same or infact better. Actually it really flared up shortly after we announced our marriage

After wasting about 3-4 months trying various anti biotics and topical creams I finally am on Accutane for the last 2 mths and I think I'm definitely improving.

My doc just prescribed me the sulfacet- R lotion. I haven't used it yet coz I'm scared it may have some bad reaction and make my cysts come back again. I'm getting married in Feb and I don't want to take that risk now. Previous topicals have made me break out more so I feel skeptical.

I mainly broke out on my forehead and under my jaws on either side- huge big cysts. After accutane, they started reducing in those areas but spread to my cheeks.

I have to admit I have a picking problem (which I am trying extremely hard to fight) but luckily no scarring. Just lots of marks which will take time to fade and I've always taken long to heal from cut marks etc.

I was also on Ortho Tricyclin for about 6 mths and it didn't really help my skin all that much. Although the sudden outbreak of big severe cysts did not occur till I stopped being on the pills. However, I felt it was too strong for me and made me feel sick when I took it.

I tried Alleese but that totally messed up my menstrual system so I'm trying Nordette now. If in a cpl of mths I find I'm not compatible with this one either I think I'll ask my doc if she can put me on Diane-35. I've heard good things about it as well.

Sorry this post is so long, I just got a bit excited and carried away that there are others, similar to me, in my position.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #21
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

interesting, I was to be wed too when mine started. Actually, I was engaged, then not engaged, then engaged again. Then I left my home of 20 years and my family. And got 80% of my wedding planning DONE before I moved to CA from MO. THEN I had to deal with weather changes, job stresses, family stresses of living with hubby's mom and stepdad in a three bedroom apt, and finishing all my wedding stuff long distance. After we were wed, we moved again! Deal with jobs all over and so on. I think a lot of it was stress, but I think the lotion is what got a handle on it to get rid of the ones I had, and then prevented new ones the next time I got hit with the stress bug.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #22
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User
    Talking Re: 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

hi, i started getting acne at 14. I used Proactiv at age 23. Worked beautifully for 1.5 years, started breaking out on my chin and jawline very bad. Age 25 i went on accutane and Yasmin. I am now almost 27. The Yasmin works well, the accutane kept all oil away. I still use Proactiv because i am acne prone. Face is very nice!

I am very upset w/ my 1st derm, he treated my face w/ antibiotics for about 5 years! i am now immune to them, how bad is that! I was only 16-21, i trusted my doc. and most of my problem was my hormones! Plus i was on Levlin BC for many yrs. no doctor seemed to care! I had to research extensively on my own to find out i was on a bc that contributed to my acne.

Have you tried Proactiv, i love it!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #23
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

bunny, what is accutane. I have seen it on these boards many times. Does it really help with oil? That is my BIGGEST issue-I believe if my oil was lessened, I would really be clear then (mostly clear now, but oil makes pores clog too easily to keep clean all the time), causing "invisible" acne that I pick at and then get the white head. argh

Old 12-03-2004, 05:20 AM   #24
    lulu'smom

lulu'smom HB User

Accutane (Istotretinoin) is in short the nuclear bomb of acne meds. It has a lot of possible side effects (some more serious than others) which is why docs are hesitant to prescribe it and many patients are hesitant to take it.

I don't know if I would've taken Accutane, had it not been for this wedding deadline of Feb. But then again, my face was getting progressively worse and since I had cystic acne, I would've gotten scarring.

I do believe though that my wedding has something to do with this severe outbreak- though of course not solely responsible. I don't think stress can make anyone's face look like this. With my luck however, after my wedding, I will be totally clear.

I had a full hormonal test done by my gyn (who, along with my mom, was flipping out over my face more than I was) and she said as incredible as it may seem (since my face was so bad), my hormones were all normal.

But, let me tell you, I'm so happy that I'm on Accutane. It is not an anti biotic, and probably comes closest to being a cure for acne - though it really isn't a cure, there is no real cure.

Anti biotics simply surpress the acne which in turn can actually make things worse once you get off it. That's what happened to me.

Accutane contains extremely high doses of Vit. A (and of course other stuff).With Accutane, you cannot get pregnant (have to sign waivers), you have to get regular blood work done to make sure everything is ok and you can get really really dry. Funnily, my face isn't that dry (and I'm on month 3 now). Just my lips. Though I can tell I'm dehydrated by my urine color so I try to drink tons of water. I've also developed blurry vision (it's temporary) thanks to Accutane which isn't serious but just bloody inconvenient. I've got bad vision anyway and never wore my glasses but now I've got to.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:01 AM   #25
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Accutane scares me thats all I have to say. too many crazy side effects. Ive have been so tempted to talk to my doc about it as well but as you were saying bunny Im quite discusted with docs and derms now too, I trusted them. I was on and off of different anti biotics for about 2 years or a bit more. I even questioned my doctor I said I dont want to get amune to all these antibotics is it good for me? he said there is nothing to worry about and, I believed. Ive had problems from them and not to mention my acne is worse now than before I started them. I dont know if thats the cause but it could be. That is why I dont know if I trust a docs opinion on accutane either. Im more likely to believe the people I have read about on here who acctually regret taking it. I think it is dangerious but a relief for those with SEVERE acne but I just am not severe. bad sometimes but not severe. I want to try that sulfacet R. Im going to do some good research and find a good derm that will hear me out.

For those of you who get cysts where did you get them? I find that Im unique as to anyone on here ( and its a good way I think) I DONT get them on my jaw line and cheeks. I have gotten a few and infact i have one right on my cheek right now it sucks but..I primarily only get them in my T zone. anyone else like this. its good cause scaring isnt bad. I get dark marks but thats it

Last edited by LkK2507; 12-03-2004 at 07:01 AM.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #26
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

my suggestion is alotion prescribed by the dermo called Klaron non drying at all works great..so side effects,,I'm happy with it after only less than 2 wks..,

Old 12-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #27
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LkK2507
    NOW Im on Orth Tri Cyclen Lo (donít think its working seeing I had the worse break out ive ever had here recently. Been on it month and Ĺ.
    I was on tri cyclen lo and not only did it do NOTHING for my skin, I'm pregnant now too

Old 12-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #28
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User
    Talking Re: 20 and above Females with moderate acne cysts.

Accutane is a last resort drug. It took me 11 years finally to do it. Boy am i glad i did!!! Being on it was no fun, I am just glad its over. It'll be 1 yr I stopped taking it on 12/30.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:47 AM   #29
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Im not convinced Accutane is a very health choice at all. takeing vitamin A at a toxic level cant be good, thats why it should be a last resort. Im not to that point

Closed Thread