It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hormones in Milk Causing Acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User
    Hormones in Milk Causing Acne?

I am suspecting that milk is causing my acne, due to spikes in cystic acne around my chin and jawline around the times when I drink skim milk. Through a little internet research, I found out that most of the milk we drink comes from cows that have been injected with hormones. Coincidence? I'm thinking no.

Monsanto, the company which is notorious for applying biotechnology to farming, claims that cows which have been treated with hormones don't produce different milk than cows who haven't been treated with the hormone. And through some sleazy politics, the FDA made it "illegal" for farmers who don't treat their cows with hormes to advertise it. Thus, there is no way for consumers to know if the milk we drink has been chemically altered.

On that, I'm staying away from milk for a significant period of time and seeing if my acne improves. Has anyone else noticed a milk/acne connection? If so, did reducing milk consumption help acne? To me, it seems as though drinking milk (of another animal at that) past infancy seems to go against nature.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
    jazmella
    (female)

jazmella HB User
    Re: Hormones in Milk Causing Acne?

It definitely goes against nature. I stopped drinking milk years ago. I get sick just seeing other people drink it. It's so unhealthy and disgusting...I prefer to have my health, thanks!

Old 12-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

I dont know but Garlic cheese break easily makes me breakout.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
    ForgottenFaith
    Veteran
    (male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

You can always try soy milk or acidophilus milk. Acidophilus is the better tasting of the two I think.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Ewww.. I don't think I can stomach "alternative" milk. I think I'll stick with a calcium supplement But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
    ForgottenFaith
    Veteran
    (male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

It's good actually. Acidophilus tastes just like regular milk but sweeter.

Last edited by ForgottenFaith; 12-03-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Re soy milk, I think it tastes fab, but I've read that it's difficult to know whether soy is more helpful than it is harmful. There is no doubt that the phytochemicals can have detrimental effects, ie. a greater chance of developing Alzheimers disease. Does anyone have any views on whether it does more good than harm?

Thanks,
    AA

Old 12-04-2004, 01:54 AM   #8
    Takara
    Inactive

Takara HB User

I only drink rice milk and coudn't live without it! yum!

Just remember, a little cheese and ice cream equals quite a few gallons of milk, so if you are staying away from milk, you need to watch out for these things too.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:45 AM   #9
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

I've never heard of milk causing acne..I've hear dof sweets or fatty foods...try loading up on lots of water drinking...

Old 12-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #10
    annafcolbrie
    (female)

annafcolbrie HB User

I used to drink a ton of milk, with every meal. I stopped drinking milk last february and have seen a dramatic decrease in the amount of cysts that I get. I still get them once in awhile but I'm also not religous about avoiding dairy, I have just reduced my intake dramatically. I'm starting the "acne diet" now and will cut it out completely so we'll see what happens.
    I think cutting out dairy is definately worth a try if you can do it.

Anna

Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #11
    jamie_k

jamie_k HB User

Um...so what's the deal with soy milk? Is it good or bad? I just got a wake up call after reading this read. I have been breaking out a lot over the past year and that was just right when I started drinking more milk because of my obsession of growing a few more inches. Now, I think I should stop. So I guess yogurt is out of the question, too, right? Arg...but I need my calcium.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:09 AM   #12
    clever
    (female)

clever HB User

Hey,
    I havent consumed milk products for about a year now and find that it helps my skin a lot. All dairy should be avoided, as mentioned in above posts. This includes:
    yogurt
    cheese
    sour creeme
    cottage cheese
    milk
    ice cream
    frozen yogurt
    cream cheese
    you get the point!
    Its easy to replace these items, soy cheese and yogurts do exist. There is almond milk (yummy) rice milk and of course soy. Try different ones to experiement with tastes that suit you. I am sure you will find something u like, there is a huge market demand for these products now. If you live near a Whole Foods (my sanction) you can find it all there.

Oh, and I also have researched and found that iodine is bad for acne. And cows lick SALT BARS all day, so the iodine in dairy products is also high... Something else to think about...

Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #13
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)

PBABY HB User

Aquarius,

I have read some research on how cows are injected with a hormone (I forgot the name of it-TGH??), and it did kind of freak me out. I do drink a milk that is made by a company called Organic Valley. Now, they do advertise directly on their products by saying "produced without antibiotics, synthetic hormones, or pesticides". Now just HOW true that is, I don't know. I went to their website, did some reading up on their products, and they also claimed the same-no antibiotics, pesiticides or hormones and specifically mentioned that hormone I listed above. Hmmm...I guess basically I am taking their word for it when they say "no hormones". I will say this-I can tell a difference in their milk and the skim milk I was drinking. I don't think dairy is a major culprit in causing my acne. Maybe it's because I don't get a lot of dairy in my diet. I drink one glass of that milk in the morning, and that's it. But I love milk!! I always have.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:36 AM   #14
    annafcolbrie
    (female)

annafcolbrie HB User

I don't know what it is in milk/dairy that aggravates my acne but I don't think it's just the hormones and antibiotics most cows are injected with. The reason I'm saying this is that since my kids started drinking milk ( long before I stopped drinking milk ) I only buy organic, usually Horizon brand. I didn't see a difference when going organic.

Anna

Old 12-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Yeah, regular milk definately tastes different compared to organic milk. There's a study that was done, not experimental but hopefully that's the next step, by the Journal of American Academy of Dermatolgy titled "High School Dietary Dairy Intake and Teenage Acne" In this study they found that those with physician-diagnosed severe acne correlated the most with those consuming dairy more than 6x a day and that skim milk was associated with the highest prevelance ratio over all types of dairy and over total consumption of dairy.

So basically what they are saying was that Skim Milk is worse than Regular milk, and therefore it probably has nothing to do with the regular hormones & fats found in milk. Furthermore, they discuss how that due to r-bGH (growth hormone for cows) that it does increase IGF-1, but that little gets passed on to humans. Yet our IGF-1 levels still increase when consuming milk and they discuss that it's possible that whey protein may be a factor as this can increase IGF-1 and shows other signs of androgen activitiy in the body and is ADDED to skim milk (notice it has more protein than the others) to give it a better consistency.

As for the possibility of Iodine in the milk causing problems, maybe but if it's the iodine than you would have to eliminate turkey or chicken first. As 1 serving of Turkey as 12x as much iodine as Milk and 5x as much iodine as cheese.

Closed Thread