It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How can u tell if acne is hormaonal or diet related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
    might_baal
    (male)

might_baal HB User
    How can u tell if acne is hormaonal or diet related?

How can you tell if your acne is hormonal or diet related or is there something else that causes it also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: How can u tell if acne is hormaonal or diet related?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by might_baal
    How can you tell if your acne is hormonal or diet related or is there something else that causes it also?
    OK, you can have acne because you have an allergy, an intolerance, or a chemical sensitivity to something that you are consuming (foods, toxins) or applying to your skin (fabric softener, cleansers, moisturiziers, comedogenic ingredients, microoganisms, etc), otherwise, your acne will be hormonal.

Hormones & Diet go hand in hand. You can have a hormonal imbalance and if you alter diet appropriately, you can correct this (when other medications below can't). However some people end up having an actual tumor on an organ or gland in the body and this may cause them to continue breaking out, despite dietary changes.

The only way to fix certain hormonal imbalances, if you've tried several diets and none of them work well enough, is to take medication, supplements or if it's a tumor, surgery. This is why people take accutane (antiandrogen & antigrowth drug), RetinA (antiandrogen), Spironolactone (antiandrogen), Birth Control (antiandrogen), Glucocorticoids (antiandrogen & anti-inflammatory). For simplicities sake I wrote those all as antiandrogens, BUT they would really be called "androgen antagonists" as they work differently to prevent either the development or activity of androgens in the body and/or skin.

I would like to clarify that diet isn't any less superior than medications. Our bodies are different and while we all have varying degrees of sensitivity and types of acne, just because one person uses one method that seems "simple" it doesn't mean that this person didn't have severe acne. EX:

Both these individuals have severe facial & body acne & cysts. Both tried the SAME exact diet and drugs, but obtained different results.

Subject A: Spironolactone 6 years only 70 - 80% clear. Gluten-Free & Refined-Free Diet 100% clear

Subject B: Gluten-Free & Refined-Free Diet 80% clear. Spironolactone 2 years 100% clear.

This just has to do with one's genetics and how susceptible and responsive their bodies are to a particular treatment method.

So if you have chronic acne that's lasted 5, 10, 15, 30 or more years, the greater the chance that there is something wrong or imbalanced in your system. It could be any of the above, as well as hormonal imbalance that stems from your adrenal, testes, ovaries, pituitary, as well as perhaps your liver or pancreas. Generally people with such imbalances have additional symptoms, but there's always the exception. If you want to know what you may have, the best person to see for this is an Endocrinologist.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-04-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
    might_baal
    (male)

might_baal HB User

I got acne at age 13-14 minorly and it got worse and worse I am now 18 and it has improved from age 17 to 18 I am also tring green tea and stopping my fatty foods along with my daily consuming of 6-12 sodas a day. Also on 1-3 grams of b-5 a day!

Old 12-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Acne is genetic and may be worsened by a poor diet. For instance each 12 ounce can of soda has 10 teaspoons of sugar as High fructose corn syrup. So 10 cans a day is 100 teaspoons of high fructose corn syrup, and corn is an allergic food for many people, mainly a bulk hog and cattle food.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
    LkK2507
    (female)

LkK2507 HB User

Im hoping mine is diet related. I am trying to follow a good diet. Im not going to cut out bread/crackers/carb stuff ALL the time but minimize it alot.

Sweet Jade.. I looked up Spironolactone and it says its for heart failure patients or something?

also what exactly is "Gluten-Free & Refined-Free Diet" short for?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LkK2507
    Im hoping mine is diet related. I am trying to follow a good diet. Im not going to cut out bread/crackers/carb stuff ALL the time but minimize it alot.

Sweet Jade.. I looked up Spironolactone and it says its for heart failure patients or something?

also what exactly is "Gluten-Free & Refined-Free Diet" short for?

LOL, yup Spironolactone is a diuretic and was initially used for high blood pressure, just like accutane was initially used for the treatment of cancer =) However, and that is why I tell males that they CAN take Spiro, it also looks similar enough to androgens structurally that it will also bind to the androgen receptor to prevent androgen & DHT activity. Spiro is only about 30% effective at preventing androgen activity and this is why it wasn't effective enough for me, as I had more free androgens than that, yet this is why it's effective for other females and a few males on this board. It has been used to treat hormonal problems such as acne & hirsutism for over 20 or 30 years now and it's the safest, side effect-wise, & most effective long term, of the other antiandrogens out that work the same way as spiro (Flutamide, Cyproterone Acetate-CPA).

Like all meds, it is dose dependent so that 30% wouldn't be reached unless you were taking 200mg - 300mg. The only people I'm aware of that take more than 200mg are those that are transgenders. Otherwise for the treatment of acne, hirsuitism, & possible androgenic alopecia women take 50mg - 200mg and males take 25mg - 100mg.

As for your diet, absolutely do what is best for you, but do keep in mind that when we corrected our diets to balance our hormones, most of use reduced or eliminated grain products. So if you don't see significant results by just reducing you may want to see if eliminating wheat or gluten further improves your skin. Of course, if it does, there's plenty of other grains, breads, pastas, etc that you can still eat =)

Opps, almost forgot but a Gluten-Free Diet means that you avoid Wheat, Barley, Rye (& Oat) grains and their relatives & derivatives. That would mean avoidance of Barley Malt, gluten proten (unless it says corn), wheat starch, durum, semolina, kamut, spelt, seitan, certain alchols, etc

A Refined-Free Diet basically means that you are avoiding Trans Fats (hydrogenated & partially hydrogenated oils), Added Sugars, especially Corn Syrip & HFCS, and if you like you can go as far as eliminating Nitrites/Nitrates from you lunch meats (try a healthfood store), artificial sweetners, MSG, and even artificial colors. You can go as far as want with this on a personal level, but the big stuff is the sugars & trans fats, unless you also have a chemical sensitivity.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-04-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
    LTH3288
    (female)

LTH3288 HB User

I have had acne since I was 11, it started at a young age and now I am 16 years old. I ate bad and I still do, but it has nothing to do with my diet. I actually inherited it from both sides of my family. You could of inherited it from your mom or dad? I have had mine treated and I am acne free and my diet is horrible! lol.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTH3288
    I have had acne since I was 11, it started at a young age and now I am 16 years old. I ate bad and I still do, but it has nothing to do with my diet. I actually inherited it from both sides of my family. You could of inherited it from your mom or dad? I have had mine treated and I am acne free and my diet is horrible! lol.
    accutane? or did you just grow out of it?

Closed Thread