It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Taking Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User
    Taking Accutane

Day 22 of Accutane. Was wondering if anyone would be interesting in posting on this accutane journal w/ me? There are of course several out there, so it would be nice for a few people to be loyal to this one, lol. I am in need of some support, and would also like to support people. It gets tough when people make fun of you for it, and I hope that some of you can commit to this thread, and we can help each other out. Also keeping posted on accutane.

My next appt. is the 23 of Dec. Blood work this sat. moving up form 20 mg. to 40 mg.

Let me know if youd like! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
    IHATEACNE1111

IHATEACNE1111 HB User
    Re: Accutane Journal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acneruinsesteem
    Day 22 of Accutane. Was wondering if anyone would be interesting in posting on this accutane journal w/ me? There are of course several out there, so it would be nice for a few people to be loyal to this one, lol. I am in need of some support, and would also like to support people. It gets tough when people make fun of you for it, and I hope that some of you can commit to this thread, and we can help each other out. Also keeping posted on accutane.

My next appt. is the 23 of Dec. Blood work this sat. moving up form 20 mg. to 40 mg.

Let me know if youd like! Thanks
    sounds great! I am on day 15 i think...only side effects so far are dry face and dry lips...other than that everyhting is gravy. ill keep your posted....this is gonna be a long five months...also my back hurts everyonce in a while

Old 12-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

Im on day 112. I have no active acne and no oil problems. Im on 40mg on odd days and 80 on even days. My skin is nice and smooth. I still have many marks from past cysts but are begining to fade. Accutane has worked so well for me. Im so happy to be clear for christmas and NEW YEARS. I no longer need to wash my face twice a day if I don't want to. Side effects are minimal with dry skin and chapped lips.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
    hopeless118
    (female)

hopeless118 HB User

Sounds good to me too! I am day 19. So far really on improvement. I'm pretty bummed. I thought it was getting better but then i broke out last week and it's just not going away. Should i be concerned that I haven't startred seeing results yet?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Thanks everyone. hopeless118: I broke out around that time too, and I am just starting to clear.
    Crapple67: When did you start to see major improvements?

IHATEACNE1111: My back hurts when i lay down. I definitely hope you keep posting, seems like our side affects are the same. How bad was your acne before accutane?

Hope to hear from everyone! Good Luck!

Old 12-14-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
    hopeless118
    (female)

hopeless118 HB User

Hey All..it's about 1am. I can't sleep because I am so sore from this drug. Mostly my chest and back. I'm willing to deal with it though...ANYTHING for clear skin! Does anybody ahve any good advice for a dry nose. It hurts so bad inside. I've tried saline nasal spray, but it's not enough.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
    bella_victory

bella_victory HB User

I've read that taking a q-tip with vaseline or aquaphor and swabbing the inside of the nose can be helpful. Also, my derm recommended a humidifer for the nose...she said the nasal passage skin is so delicate that a humidifier can really help. good luck...

Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

I'm on day 77 at 80mg / day. My skin is real dry and my lips are always chapped. Aquaphor is awesome stuff but it's kinda nasty when I put it on at night before bed. I put some in my nose at nighttime and sometimes before school in the morning and it helps keep it protected. I get a nosebleed every 2-4 weeks, usually pretty mild but I still get nervous because the healing process is diminished while on Accutane. I just had a nosebleed last night it kinda sucked... then I went to the gym today and was so afraid it might start up again but it didn't. I really can't wait to come off this stuff. I have been having problems with something in my abdomen (started long before Accutane) and every time I go to get a test or see a doctor I have to tell them I'm on it. My skin couldn't be more clear though, it's just flawless - no marks, scars, zits, bumps... nothing. I guess I am just afraid they might ask who the prescribing doctor is (although they haven't asked yet) in which case I'd have to tell them there isn't one.

I guess I should mention I never had the initial break out, but subsequent break outs after starting on Accutane got milder and milder. I did get zits in places I didn't normally but as time went on they faded quickly. I couldn't imagine not taking this medication, it is amazing. Has done everything I was hoping for and then some. I just hate relying on medications for anything plus I am tired of feeling like a snail in a salt factory all the time.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

I use aquaphor for my nose before I go to bed. Everyone is doing well.

How bad were you guys before you started taking accutane, and like how long was it until you were mostly clear?

I was about moderate. Not really any cysts, just a few painful pastules here and there that were starting to cause slight scars.

Take care,
    Hope you all continue to post, and good luck with ur accutane

Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks everyone. hopeless118: I broke out around that time too, and I am just starting to clear.
    Crapple67: When did you start to see major improvements?

IHATEACNE1111: My back hurts when i lay down. I definitely hope you keep posting, seems like our side affects are the same. How bad was your acne before accutane?

Hope to hear from everyone! Good Luck!
    I began to see major improvements 1 1/2 months in. By that time I only had 3-4 pimples at once. My oil was decreasing nicely.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #11
    acneruinsesteem
    (male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crapple67
    I began to see major improvements 1 1/2 months in. By that time I only had 3-4 pimples at once. My oil was decreasing nicely.
    Very Cool. What mg were u started on, and how was it increased?

Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

Quote:
    Very Cool. What mg were u started on, and how was it increased?
    I started on 40mg for the first month. Then the second month they moved me to 40mg on odd days and 80mg on even days. Ive been on 40mg/80mg throughout most of my treatment. I noticed oil improvements in about the first two weeks.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #13
    CollegeBoy21

CollegeBoy21 HB User

I agree, my oiliness went down after about 2 weeks. After about a month my skin really started changing and becoming smoother. All sorts of pore plugs started coming out and unplugged pores were becoming very small. After 1 1/2 - 2 months my skin became so smooth, no zits or anything. It's not just my face, it's my whole body. When I wash in the shower it's so smooth like skin that I've never had before.

Before I started on Accutane I had tried many different antibiotics and topical gels and creams. Some of the stuff worked for a little while but then stopped working soon after. Others didn't work at all. I always had semi-oily skin, nothing too bad really. Starting towards the end of my senior year of high school my skin started breaking out. Once college started it just got worse every year. Mostly mild acne but occassionally break outs would get up to moderate. I never had cystic acne or anything, just a few mild ones now and then but really not too bad. Overall I'd say I had mild acne with moderate break outs every 3-4 weeks. The scars are what were killing me.

Accutane - 40mg for 2 weeks, 60mg for 1.5 months, 80mg (current) for 1 month... then I will go back to 60mg for 1.5 months and 40mg for 2 weeks then I'll be done.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #14
    hopeless118
    (female)

hopeless118 HB User

Hey everyone. Well it's day 20 for me. I think the initial breakout is dying down. My skin is a lot less oily. I was using that clean and clear oil absorbing sheets. And I have not had to use them at all this week! My skin and lips really aren't that dry at all. My eyes and nose are though. I found some great eye drops though. Refresh Liquigel for moderate to sever dry eye. I wear contacts so it's making my dry eyes very painful. These eye drops are amazing. Definitely worth the few extra bucks. It a thicker gel type eye drop. Took a few times getting used to, but it's very lubricating. Thanks for the tips about relieving my dry nose!!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #15
    hopeless118
    (female)

hopeless118 HB User

does anyone else feel like aquaphor dries out their lips and doesn't last long. I've heard a lot of people don't like carmex, but I find it helps keep my lips from getting chapped much more than aquaphor.

Closed Thread