It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Adult Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #61
    Vana
    Inactive

Vana HB User
    Re: Adult Acne

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lady_in_red
    I can feel like the rest of you, I have tried everything out there thus far, and to no avail, it hasn't helped me at all, and most of the meds from the dermatolgists have either burned my skin, or dried my face out, I can't use anything, I find that if I try and keep my stress levels down and just use plain water, that seems to do the trick, and the blackheads from hell, OMG I just keep picking them out, nothing works for me, I even tried to change my diet, because I suffer from IBS, so if anyone out there can help any of us, PLEASE do! I am 38, and I almost give up on the acne thing, I guess there isn't any cure for me, I have had acne since I was 10!
    Lady, call me an eternal optimist, but I honestly believe that all of us on here will eventually cure our skin conditions - and that includes you. It's about all of us finding the right product that suits us. 10 years ago I was told that I would just have to live with my acne scarring because nothing was going to get rid of it. Well I say crap to that (I'd say something stronger but my post would get deleted). So I've spent 20 years trying to achieve clear skin without resorting to surgery and I reckon I'm getting close. So don't give up.

Have you tried Epidermx? Sorry to keep banging on about it but it's really good stuff - and apparently it's meant to get rid of blackheads as well and help reduce acne. And before anyone asks - no, I'm not a distributor or an Epidermx sales person. It's all natural ingredients I think as well. It's worth checking out I think. You can use it as a microdermabrasion treatment or a daily facial exfoliant. They also sell camelia oil which is meant to be good for healing (I haven't tried it so I don't know) and a gorgeous non greasy moisturiser (derma butter).

Like any product I suppose, there's no guarantee it'll work for you but it seems to have had good reviews. Maybe you've already tried it and it hasn't worked? Just do some research on it before you buy it - that's what I always do - and decide for yourself.

Whatever you do don't give up. There is a solution for you, and everybody else, out there. You just have to find it.

Good luck and keep posting on here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #62
    Baby-G
    (female)

Baby-G HB User

OK, to anyone who's interested. It's been over three weeks since I first started using TCM. Spots are still happening, but I never expected miracles within the first month, so I'm not too disappointed (just a bit). I have stopped using the pill, and my period is due soon so I broke out like crazy last week. I found out the herbalist changes the formula a bit each time I see her. She will ask me if I have had any dreams and eye-bogies then check out my pulse and tongue colour. Since a week ago, I have noticed my pee was really yellow each time I went, regardless of how much water I drank (my pee is usually clear after I've drunken a big mug of water, but it's bright yellow now). I hope it's the medicine removing the toxins from my body!
    Sleeping has improved a bit, but bowel movements are still rare. Anyway, I went against her orders and succumbed to my dearest Haagen-Dazs. I just can't help it! The herbalist told me to look out for any effects it might have.
    Oh, and I noticed I don't have virginal discharge anymore (sorry to be so explicit!). I used to have lots every single day but now I have hardly any. I think it has to do with the bill.
    Will keep you all posted!

Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #63
    EP734

EP734 HB User

Guys, you need to lay off CollegeBoy. If you wouldn't choose to take Accutane that's fine, but he's an adult, can make his own decisions, and who are you all to reprimand him for it. Sure Accutane has a long list of possible side effects, BUT if something occurs ONE time it has to be listed as a POSSIBLE side effect. Check any medication, they all have a long list of POSSIBLE side effects. Drugs such as statins which control cholesterol levels, and are taken by who knows how many millions of people have very extensive POSSIBE side effect lists, but the people who take them are adults, and can choose to do what they wish. Its no different that choosing to smoke or drink, damn it we live in America, and as long as we're old enough and it doesn't harm anyone else, we can do whatever the hell we want.

Coincidentally, I'm a 27 year old male, had acne since I was 11 or 12. Tried everything under the sun, topicals, antibiotics, blah, blah, blah. Saw 3 different derms, and on the last one finally asked about Accutane. And guess what, she recommended it and I've been on it for about 3 months now. It was my choice, I felt is was the best option, I did a lot of research, I talked to several people who had been on it, and I don't regret it. My lips are chapped, and my skin is dry, but hell, I have really fair/sensitive skin so I was always chapped and dry in the winter. The only side effect that I fear is the hair loss (I've got a big head, and would probably look pretty silly bald), but if that happens I'll deal with it. I'd rather deal with that than huge cysts on my back. I can totally understand anyone not wanting to take this drug, but don't get all high and mighty on those of us that have chosen to and merely offer our suggestions to those trying to combat their acne.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:13 AM   #64
    Fedupwithit
    (female)

Fedupwithit HB User

I am 34 years old, female. I have had acne since I was 17. It has changed through the years. In my teens and early 20's was more cystic. Now I have so many whiteheads that actually make a "pop" noise when I pick them. Then I have scabby red marks all over, and it is difficult to cover those up with make-up. I have done 2 courses of Acutane in my late 20's. It helped to stop the cystic and back acne. My T-zone is like an oil slick at the end of the day. I also have used every product; prescription, topical, oral , antibiotics, homeopathic, and different types of birth control pills. It has changed me into an angry person. Inside I am a fun, compassionate person. Now it is only my faith in God that gets me through when I am having an extremely depressed day. I can identify with the person who said that they "hide" when someone comes over in the evening and the make-up is off. I have had my family lie for me so many times, that I was in the shower, or napping. In the summer I so want to just go outside on a walk without my makeup, but I fear running into my neighbors. I cry almost every day. I have tried anti-depressants, but that makes me angry because if I didn't have the acne I would be just fine. My husband seems to look past the acne, but I know that my isolative behaviors and crying episodes bother him. I too, have to deal with the public for my job. A few times I have called in sick when I just couldn't cover my blemishes adequately. I have also skipped church because of it. I don't allow my school-aged children to have friends over to play on the weekends because that is my "airing out" time when I don't wear make-up. I am afraid that I will embarrass my children. I then have so much guilt for allowing the acne to affect my family. I don't understand why God hasn't answered my prayers of 15 years. I would be more active in my church and community to serve the Lord even better if I didn't have to hide. If it wasn't for this support board I don't know what I would do.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #65
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User
    Talking Re: Adult Acne

I have read some of your messages, especially the last one before this was especially saddening to me. I can sympathize totally. I have not suffered with acne for as many years as many of you have, (only about 4 years) but I think I have found the best cure possible for my acne problem and wanted to share it with you all.

I have a very long posting up titled "I cured my female adult acne!!" Please read it. I'm sure you all have an open mind at this point to trying new things, even alternative medicine since traditional medicine does not cure acne. At least it didn't for me. It looks like some of you have tried homeopathic medicine, but have you tried Contact Reflex Analysis (CRA)? That's what cured me. I still get occassional pimples, and broke out very badly for a month last December, but that was due to stress I believe because I had final exams in college. I am a 28 year old female who's been dealing with worse and worse skin problems since about age 23. It eventually developed into "acne," even though that was hard to admit to myself since as a teen I never had very bad skin. My brother and sister did and were envious of my skin. Then as an adult when they were clearing up, my skin suddenly started getting bad.

Anyway, please read my posting and do research online for Contact Reflex Analysis. You should try and find someone who's been doing it for many years and knows their stuff. I found a good one in Boston (actually Brookline, MA). I only take 2 herbal pills a day now and use Retin-A micro gel some on occassional pimples, especially when I get my period I get a couple pimples, but that's it! I hardly ever get the cystic (tumor-like ones I like to call them) that hurt badly and last for weeks under the skin. The last time I got a few of those was when I had that terrible break out in December during my college exams. It was my first semester back in school so my stress-level was very high. Now my skin is clear again, except for about two pimples because I have my period. And for the past eight months before that my skin was great. I scar so easily as an adult, so it's especially important to keep break-outs to a minimum. I have a few scars from the latest break-out in December and plan to get TCA CROSS. But my face is back in order other than that. Good luck!!

Old 02-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #66
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hi all. i am a 30 year old female with adult acne. i had the normal stuff in my teen years, a huge flareup in my early 20's that was controlled marvelously with antibiotics, bcp and topicals.

just over six years ago i got pregnant and all of that came to a screeching halt, along with my beautiful skin. being pregnant i couldn't take any of my regular stuff anymore, and nothing else seemed to work. i also nursed my son for 18months, so there was more of the same. after that i was free to go back to my routine, but decided to try absolutely everything else instead, to no avail. (btw, i tried the murad for two months and that exfoliating treatment gel burned like fi-yah!! plus, it got my skin in the absolute worst condition ever, but that's just me. and the proactive was also a disaster) back to antibiotics.

however, like a few other women here, i want to have a baby. soon. but i surely don't want to go through the same experience that i had with my son. let me say it is absolutely awful to not want to show off the most beautiful creation ever because you'd rather hide your disgusting, red pus-filled face. so sad! i totally understand that dillemma, having lived through it.

i am now almost three months into accutane, and hopefully that will help to curb it the next time. my son was an unexpected pregnancy, but this time we're planning it out, with the accutane treatment, and building in a six month detox period before going off of birth control. the 6 mos we got from this formula: the mfr says wait one month, the gyno says 3, we thought six sounded pretty reasonable.

also, accutane was introduced in the 80's, plenty of time for long term side effects to be found in children born to previous tane users and in my many, many hours of research into this i have found zilch. not a single thing, as long as the mother didn't take accutane while she was pregnant.

this drug is truly a last resort for me and it definately hasn't been easy. not much as far as side effects, but my skin has been flaring like crazy. my forehead and nose are completely clear, but both side of my jaw, my cheeks, chin and creeping down my neck are huge cysts with lots of good friends and little pus-y pimples. i've had to get cortisone injections twice, two weeks apart, and i'll probably get more on friday. also, i've been on prednisone for about two months, which is killing me with insomnia (that i'm prone to anyway). but i have been seeing a difference (beyond the incredible horror i mean) in the way that these things behave. i still get the big painful bumps, but they come to the surface in a matter of days, instead of weeks. sometimes, when they don't come up they just go away on their own.

for now, i'm really trying to keep the faith and do my thing. i work out regularly, eat my oatmeal in the morning (my cholesterol was up for a while there), keep in touch with my friends and family, visit this board whenever i have an hour or so, and just try to stay positive. not always easy, but important stuff to do. it's so easy to sit in front of the mirror for two hours lamenting what i can't control, punishing myself, making it worse, getting depressed over what i can't do, like going to the grocery store or the gym without having to first apply two pounds of makeup. having other people who know what it's like is so valuable. thank you all for being here. thank you buzz, for starting this thread for adults with the acne!

Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #67
    Geyes

Geyes HB User

Baby G where r ya? im waiting for more updates. i believe you tho on the chocolate and preservative-processed food thing. whenver i eat chocolate, i notice my face wants to flare up so i have to "catch" it and up my exfoliation treatment. i dont do processed anymore because of it too. but, sometimes i will do natural dark chocolate. seems that doesnt aggrivate as much. since i went all natural with my facial products i am 100% clear so there is something to this. i am also taking b vitamins, kefir (made with 100% raw goats milk), efa's and drink lots of steam distilled water.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #68
    swipeotron
    (female)

swipeotron HB User

Im a 30 yr old female with cystic acne. When i was a teenager I had no acne to speak of. When I was 19 I woke up one morning with about 10 spots on my face and that was the start of it. From there it got really bad for about a year anf then it more or less went away for about 4 yrs, i was never spotless but it didnt really bother me. Then about 7 yrs ago it came back with a vengance and i took minocin which cleared it effectively but as soon as i stopped it they came back. Then i took dianette (ocp), and i cant really remember the effect this had but i stopped taking it. Obviously my acne cant have been too bad then. 2yrs ago i was really tiring of it so iwent on minocin again. However after taking 7 tablets i developed full blown lupus (SLE) which practically crippled me and was far worse than acne, i couldnt get out of bed for 2 months. Fortunately, that went away and i have'nt been plagued by it since. My doctor told me it could have been permenant, so just to be aware of this. Anyway, in the past 6 months it has gotten worse than ever and is appearing in places on my face it never was before. at the moment i have about 30 cysts of varying size on my face. Also i have started to scar which wasnt a problem before, but now i have big depressions in my face which i hate more than the acne and i am so self concious of them. Everyone assures me they dont notice the acne or the scars but im not so sure.I cant look in the mirror without my make up or i get upset, I know ishould be over this vanity at my age but i just feel my face is being destroyed and what the hell will i be like in another 10 years? I am an attractive girl but that is all going down the toilet, i feel like no one would want to go near me now. My friends say "would you want people who think like that to go near you anyway?". i know they are right but as its also affecting my personality i dont feel i have any arrtactive features left!!
    Enough moaning, so what i have i decided to do? I went to see a dermatologist who gave me the generic benzyl peroxide/ glycolic acic etc which in my opinion is useless for cystic acne. Then he advised an 8 treatment course of clearlight treatments at 800euro. That didnt work either, in fact i started to get acne on my jaw that i never had before. Anyway he basically seemed to be in it for the money and he was a pompous *** who told me i was a time bomb waiting to go off, why thanks for the confidence boost. Anyway i have decided myself (im a doctor myself) to take yasmin (ocp) and erymax antibiotic with a view to coming off the antibiotic and hoping to maintain any improvment with yasmin. If this doesnt work I will take dianette and antibiotic and repeat the process! I really dont want to take accutane, however bad acne is its better than being crippled or blind. I know these are rare side effects but so is lupus on minocin. That being said if all else fails i will think seriosly about it. Additionally, i am going to try acupuncture and i am also taking supplements (B5, saw palmetto, Fish oils, zinc, guggulsterone). Ill see how it goes! I am going to see a different dermatologist in 3 months so hopefully it will have improved, i just want him to look at my scars. Ill let you know how i get on

Old 08-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #69
    Geyes

Geyes HB User

hi there sw. i have found that usualy in females with cystic acne, it could be hormonal related. and it was in fact for me as well. when i started doing the "natural product thing" and taking the progesterone cream my cystic acne went away. it took a while (about 4 months) but i was sooooooo bad off. i had never had acne before either and i had it all on my jawline and cheeks. i remain VERY oily but i use the blotting linen clothes for that and it is doing the trick so far.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #70
    swipeotron
    (female)

swipeotron HB User

Hi Geyes
    Thanks for that. were you taking the contraceptive pill as well? do you put the progesterone cream on your face only? I actually thought my acne might be caused by progesterone as i get really bad break outs when progesterone is high during my cycle. Its hard to know though as they probably form long before they break out. Anyway i hope it is hormonal as at least i will be able to sort this out.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #71
    Geyes

Geyes HB User

no i have not taken the contracetive pill. i put the cream on the thin skinned areas of my body (switching the area every day) put on inner thigh, wrists, hands, neck etc. ive never put it on my face before. wonder if that would be good too? hmmmmm. all i know is that we begin to lose progesterone at the age of 25 sooooo thats why i am replacing it now. low pro really does cause soo many problems for us too. have u read dr. lees book?

Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #72
    Divation
    Veteran
    (female)

Divation HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fedupwithit
    I can identify with the person who said that they "hide" when someone comes over in the evening and the make-up is off. I have had my family lie for me so many times, that I was in the shower, or napping. In the summer I so want to just go outside on a walk without my makeup, but I fear running into my neighbors. I cry almost every day. I have tried anti-depressants, but that makes me angry because if I didn't have the acne I would be just fine. My husband seems to look past the acne, but I know that my isolative behaviors and crying episodes bother him. I too, have to deal with the public for my job. A few times I have called in sick when I just couldn't cover my blemishes adequately. I have also skipped church because of it.
    I CAN SYMPATHIZE!! Now I only really have mild to moderate acne, but just recently it had gotten more moderate...

Just a couple of days ago, I had a job interview and only hours before I had totally screwed myself over and popped a ton of zits and picked at some so when I put makeup over it, it looked ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I felt like cancelling the interview, which I probably should've anyway because I wasn't really qualified for the job and it was basically just a big waste of time. But anyways, I have those days too. I don't want to go anywhere or be seen anywhere because my acne just makes me look horrible. And I don't feel like wearing a ton of makeup when it's only gonna melt off my face from the 95 degree weather down here in Florida in 10 minutes anyway. I wish I could just wakeup and go out the door without putting anything on my face.

And you know what really sucks? When people still think your pretty with acne. I don't understand this. I don't feel pretty at all. I feel disgusting. My boyfriend tells me all the time that he doesn't care if my face is full of zits because I still have a pretty face. I've even gotten job offers to do a photoshoot for modeling because I'm tall, skinny and I guess pretty but to be a model, I thought you had to have like crystal clear skin? I don't understand this way of thinking from anybody. But I just thank God I have a man in my life that loves me for me and overlook something like this.

My first actual dermatologist appointment is this Monday and I'm so excited that I'm finally going to attempt to fix this problem. I was never allowed to go before because my parents were against it and thought it was just something "I would grow out of" which apparently I haven't yet and I just turned 22. So who knows. And thanks for letting me vent. lol.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #73
    ToOldToHaveAcne

ToOldToHaveAcne HB User

I am 37 year old female. About 5 years ago I went to the doctor and got a RX for Clyndamyacin. As long as I use it everyday, I get few breakouts, but if I forget to use it for a few days, I get the really big, under the skin cyst like thing that doesn't go away for weeks. This is the only thing I have tried that ever worked. I a going next week to start getting the microdermabrasion treatments. I a really excited. Of course at 37 I have other facial issue also. And am hoping the micro will help these as well. Lucky for me I do not have a lot of wrinkles or age spots, mostly just the scaring.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #74
    mycatownsme03
    (female)

mycatownsme03 HB User

I'm a 32 year old female and I've been dealing with acne for 12 years now. I am on spironolactone and have been for a couple of years. It has been an emotional as well as physical battle for me this whole time. I have a question, is there any female on here that was dealing with acne before they got pregnant? If so, what meds were you on and what suggestions did your dermatologist give you to try to curb the acne during pregnancy without taking anything that could be potentially harmful? (I am not pregnant right now, but I do think about this topic often because I'm concerned of my state of mind being pregnant and having to deal with a rough bout of acne can create.)

Closed Thread