It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• accutane - not going too well

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User
    Unhappy accutane - not going too well

hey people

i am now on month four of accutane, to be honest it hasn't been going the best, i am on doctor prescribed sixty mg but sometimes i take 80mg, anyway, at first it seemed to be going really well but then after about a couple of weeks i broke out really bad. then it started to get better again.... but then i it just got really really bad again, i got loadza cysts on about my 2 1/2 to about 3 1/2 month, since then i havent really got anymore cysts but i still have a huge one that is taking ages to go down!

my doctor has left me on it for another 2 months and he says i will probably have to go on it twice, has anyone else had problems like this? i mean i read all these reviews and most people are completely free by the fourth month! how about you guys, is there anyone out there who was still not that great by the fourth month?

cheers guys, any responses would be helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
    howhorrible
    (male)

howhorrible HB User
    Re: accutane - not going too well

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigave110386
    hey people

i am now on month four of accutane, to be honest it hasn't been going the best, i am on doctor prescribed sixty mg but sometimes i take 80mg, anyway, at first it seemed to be going really well but then after about a couple of weeks i broke out really bad. then it started to get better again.... but then i it just got really really bad again, i got loadza cysts on about my 2 1/2 to about 3 1/2 month, since then i havent really got anymore cysts but i still have a huge one that is taking ages to go down!

my doctor has left me on it for another 2 months and he says i will probably have to go on it twice, has anyone else had problems like this? i mean i read all these reviews and most people are completely free by the fourth month! how about you guys, is there anyone out there who was still not that great by the fourth month?

cheers guys, any responses would be helpful
    I would get off of accutane. I was on for 4 months and now my hair is thin after 6 months. I used to be a happy person, but because of the hair, I'm depressed. It does help skin though.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User

the thing is apart from dry lips i havent really had any other side effects. and even my dry lips are not really bad. i have tried everything, every type of antibiotic, herbal remedies, lazer treatment, you name it i have tried it and i think my body has built up an immune system to pretty much everything. i just dont know where i really stand with the roaccutane, i mean my acne is a bit better but not great,

please is there anyone else that has had the same problems as me?

Old 02-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
    saxlover12
    (female)

saxlover12 HB User

Well, for me I didn't start dramatically changing until the last month, and then after that is when it got much better. I would say just to stay on it for a while longer, and maybe talk to your doctor about he, he/she will tell you if you should get off of it.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User

ok cheers sax

that helps i will bare that in mind, how long was you on the accutane though?

Old 02-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

since ur taking a fairly high mg daily, your probably getting hardcore breakouts to push all the acne to the surface

i recommend hanging in there! im on accutane now (just over a week left!!) and im perfectly clear except for some open pores and a reddish complexion, but its a HUGE improvement over what i used to be like

Old 02-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
    AcidRain

AcidRain HB User

I had the same kind of experience.
    And my familly agreed that my acne was MUCH worse than it's even been before while i was on accutane. And everytime i'd see my derm he'd just act like he was really happy and would say there's good progress. I really wish i could go back and never take accutane, it destroyed my face, hurt my health and got me so depressed i failed college and have an uncertain future now.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

AcidRain- What kind of dosage were you on?? There is a small chance (I think its 5%) that Accutane wont work at all.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User

hey acid rain

thanks for the advice anyway but my acne is better than it was, over the last week i have only had one lump come up and my acne seems to be settling a bit, dont get me wrong it is still a long way a way from being clear but after the replys i have got back from people like mr bojangles i think it will be best to stay on for the other two months,

cheers people for your replies,

Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Thats awesome, Big- I hope you have continued progress- and Im sure that you will. Its extremely rare that Accutane doesnt work..and if it "relapses", 9 times out of 10 the acne that comes back is much less severe than before. A few people I know have taken it, and some have been clear for over 4 years, while others had problems after a few months..but not nearly as bad as before.
    Dont worry about it, try to be patient, and dont forget that mood enhances things..So keep a positive attitude about it, and Im sure youll notice more improvements as you go along. I want to take Accutane but Im at the beginning of the whole "Lets try all these other medications that never work before we give you the one that does" routine... I hate Drs!!! Im currently using Retin A Micro and I thought I liked it at first, but I HATE it- and its making me break out worse than before. If I didnt need Accutane before, I definately need it now! (I have moderate cystic acne, along with superficial acne from the Retin A Micro all over my lower cheeks)
    Anyways, I apologize for the long post- But I wish you Great Luck, and Keep your head up!!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User

cheers juici,

yea i know how you feel, i have been on retin a along with every other mediciation that stops working. i also know how you feel, i had to wait a year and untill my acne was absolutely unbearable before i was give accutane. have you tried antibiotics like erythromycin or oxytetrycylin? they both worked for me for a while and cleared it up but unfortunately it came back and that is where i am now. take your own advice too and hang in there, eventually if the antibiotics and retin A dont work then i am sure your doctor will prescribe you the accutane,

good luck to you to

Old 02-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey big,

i'm having the same problems w/the accutane that you are. big conglomerate cystic type things on my jawline. misery! i've been on it for almost three months now and am still breaking out, pretty hard core. i take 40-60 mg/ day, plus 20 mg/day of prednisone and topical clindamycin 1% lotion, 400iu of vitamin e, a multivitamin and fish oil, which gives yucky burps, but whatever. funny thing, where the cysts and acne aren't, my skin looks great. odd, but there it is.

i'm not having any side effects either, just the dry lips and worsened acne.

and i get the same reaction from my derm, everything's getting better, just taking a long time, now lie back while i inject you with the cortisone. ouch! but it makes those bigguns go away pronto.

keep the faith big, my derm says he's never seen this stuff not work, just that it takes longer for some than for others. looks like we're in the longer group! good luck to you.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

I dont know if this has any premise, seeing as how I am not a Doctor- But maybe youre taking too much? Try cutting out the other things youre taking (the fish oil, etc) and see how Accutane works for you on its own. Just a thought- Sometimes less is more!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuiciCouture
    I dont know if this has any premise, seeing as how I am not a Doctor- But maybe youre taking too much? Try cutting out the other things youre taking (the fish oil, etc) and see how Accutane works for you on its own. Just a thought- Sometimes less is more!
    thanks juici, i would rather not take a bunch of pills, i hate swallowing all that stuff, but it seems to be helping- my cholesterol is down, kidneys are back to good, and my skin is looking (slowly but surely!) better. i was taking the accutane alone at christmas time and my face exploded with cysts. it was awful, and i'm still recovering from it. so gross! six weeks later and it still looks like i have a great, big hickey on my jaw. although now i can kinda cover it with makeup.

it is getting better though. the bumps that come are much smaller, and are coming in singles and doubles instead of 8 or nine or more all joined together. and sometimes they even go away without coming all the way up, which is very exciting for me. i never had anything quite like this before accutane. i've become much more humble. we'll see.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
    evilchad
    (male)

evilchad HB User

A Few Suggestions. Please Read.

Have you considered diet? It may sound like a bunch of health nut propaganda, but fatty/greasy foods are a huge contributor to many people's acne. No lie. I know this because I changed my diet. Nothing hardcore, just stopped eating fast food burgers and french fries and stuff. Doesn't work for everyone but does for most.

Also, stop taking the fish oil. Like right now! Fish oil is for people with dry skin. Back when I used to kill my face with ineffective topical acne treatments I needed a way to help keep my skin hydrated. I chose fish oil supplements. Bad idea. It basically counteracts whatever acne treatment you're on by replacing the natural oil you are trying to remove with fish oil. It clogs your pores just as bad as the oil your body creates and generally makes the whole process of acne treatment pointless.

Nothing ever worked 100% for me though so even I have ended up taking accutane now. I'm still on it, but things are really starting to look good.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread