It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• is b.p. bad for your skin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
    anilorak
    (female)

anilorak HB User
    Question is b.p. bad for your skin?

Hello.. last year I started using NuvaRing. That combined with applying 2.5% b.p. cleared my mild/moderate acne up almost completely within 2-3 months. I had clear skin for the first time in years. I went off the NuvaRing for 4 months.. and my skin went to pieces. Then I tried going natural and using Apple Cider Vinegar... not too much help. I've been back on NuvaRing for two months now.. and am still breaking out, though not quite as badly. I recently started using the b.p. again and my skin is breaking out less and less.

My question is.. is b.p. bad for your skin? I've heard side comments about it not being good for you. I only ever use 2.5% once a day (at night). I know that b.p. helps some people out tremendously, but I'd like to hear from the people who think it's bad for your skin in the long term. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
    sammy726
    (female)

sammy726 HB User
    Re: is b.p. bad for your skin?

Personally, I try and stay away from benzoyl peroxide as much as possible. It's extremely drying and harsh on my skin, and in the long run, that could make me look older than I really am! (I'm 24) I've learned that dry skin equals wrinkles....I use salicylic acid, which is much gentler on my skin.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
    AcidRain

AcidRain HB User

Like other free radicals, it will make your skin age faster.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
    xghostsniperx
    (male)

xghostsniperx HB User

What are free radicals?

Old 02-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
    acnescargirl
    (female)

acnescargirl HB User

It Ruined My Skin.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
    AcidRain

AcidRain HB User

It's pretty complicated but i'll try to give you a quick explanation.

Atoms in your body often share electrons to complete their outer shells. They are somewhat bond together. Sometimes the link between 2 atoms is too weak and they split. One of the split atoms will be missing electrons and will become a free radical. It will try to steal electrons from other atoms to regain stability, but in the process it starts a chain reaction and spawns more free radicals. To stop free radicals the body needs anti-oxidants like vitamin E, vitamin C, a particular component of green tea, etc. Those antioxidants will donate their electrons to free radicals to make them stable, but they won't become free radicals themselves because they are stable without the electrons.

Free radicals contribute to aging of the body and skin by damaging cells, and it turns out that benzoyl peroxide is a free radical. It's often used as a catalyst in oxidation, which also ages the skin, just like oxygen turns meat and apples brown and make pennies green.

So we use benzoyl peroxide to kill bacteria, that's great. But don't count on your pharmacist to tell you that BP is a free radical that contributes to skin aging. I've used BP for 5 years and i have fine lines on my forehead, around my eyes and beside my lips. Those wrinkles got worst and worst until i quit BP, but the damage is still done.

Anyway, if you feel that BP is making your skin dull, red and blotchy, i suggest that you quit using it because the reaction is too strong for you.

Here's a quote from skintactix.com
    "Benzoyl Peroxide Cautions: Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, is the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Because BP generates free radicals it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when BP is a regular part of the daily regimen.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice..." Additionally the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control or maintain the control of acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered as you make decisions on acne treatment. Skintactix has given particular attention to providing effective treatment with no side effects and no benzoyl peroxide.
    safe to uncertain. "

Old 02-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
    anilorak
    (female)

anilorak HB User

so is salycilic acid a safer alternative?

Old 02-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

bp is really good for spot treatment. Especially like bp 10%, if you have a pimple that was recently popped, put some bp on it, and it will reduce the red mark and prevent the pimple from popping back up. But for your whole face, glycolic and salicylic acids is the way to go.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
    AcidRain

AcidRain HB User

10% and 2.5% bp have been proven to have to same effect as a spot treatment, except that the 10% is very drying and will slow down wound healing for most people.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
    anilorak
    (female)

anilorak HB User

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to try jojoba again. The last time I stopped using it was because I felt too greasy in the summer months. I'm going to try to really limit the application to literally one drop. Also it's natural.. and it seemed to clear me up a lot better than anything else. I just hate the idea of the initial cystic break-out that comes in weeks 2-4. No fun. So I'm putting the b.p. aside for now.. except for spot treatment. Hopefully I'll get a bit clearer soon..

Closed Thread