It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Laser Treatment for Acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
    wondersteve
    (male)

wondersteve HB User
    Laser Treatment for Acne?

I have been a long time sufferer of severe acne and now of course I have a lot of acne scars. I am thinking about getting laser treatment for both my acne and acne scars. They say that the laser treatment is permanent for stopping acne. Is this true? I sure hope so. Well, I have been researching online available doctors in the Los Angeles area. I found 2 places online. One is called Laser & Dermatology Institute of California and the other is called Celibre. I have went to both of their offices for a consultation. They offered me what seems like completely different lasers for the same treatment. Celibre offered me treatment with a Coherent Ultrafine Erbium Laser and Laser & Dermatology Institute offered me a package and said not one laser can do the job right. On the Laser & Dermatology Institute site they list the Smooth Beam, Erbium, Cynosure, and Candela lasers for treatment of acne and acne scars. Which lasers are the right lasers? I am researching the 2 places and the different lasers on the internet again right now. So far I find that the Smooth Beam seems to be the best choice. I did my own research online and found out that the doctor at the Laser & Dermatology Institute is an actual dermatologist and a member of the American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery. The other doctor from Celibre is a cosmetic surgeon. In fact, he has a separate practice and was not at Celibre for my consultation. It is a difficult choice for me because the Laser & Dermatology Institute charges more for their services. However, I did get to talk to the actual doctor at Laser & Dermatology Institute and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I don't think that the doctor for Celibre is ever there. Anybody know for a fact? Please any advice and comments will be helpful. Did anybody have laser treatment for acne and acne scars? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
    californialove
    (female)

californialove HB User
    Wink Re: Laser Treatment for Acne?

Hey wondersteve. Just wanted to let you know, I just posted something about those 2 places you talking about. Went to both too and didn't see that doctor at Celibre either. Something fishy. Anywayz, I went to the Laser and Dermatology Institute and I had a great experience. Loved my treatments. Awesome just PHAT. Let me tell you though, both places try to charge me about the same price. I know the place I went to had the right stuff because it worked. AND I didn't like the fact that Celibre tried to sell me products for acne at my consultation. I mean doesn't their laser work? Hope this helps!

Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
    bigave110386
    (male)

bigave110386 HB User
    Re: Laser Treatment for Acne?

hey wondersteve

i have tried laser treatment. i live in the uk and i spent about 800 pounds which i think is about $1500. the treatment i had was n-lite laser treatment, i had three seperatre ones. after the first one i thought that it was a miracle cure, if you look through the posts on this board you will probably find what i wrote about half a year ago, but the second and third treatments only helped a little bit and my acne was suppressed to only slightly bad.

however after about 1 -2 months after the treatment my acne came back worse that it had every been before, i mean i didn't want to go outside, i dont know about smoothbeam but all i would say is make sure you do a hell of a lot of research. the reason why i chose the laser treatment was because i was DESPERATE just as i imagine you are and when there is a company telling you that they have a miricale cure you do whatever you can to get rid of it, i know.

all i would say is be very cautious, i havent read any really succsessful reviews anywhere apart from the websites of the companies that sell it

so just be careful

Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
    wondersteve
    (male)

wondersteve HB User

Thanks for the feedback Bigave. I'll be sure to stay away from the n-lite laser. I am doing some more research.

Thanks californialove for the info. I think that the Celibre company is just using the doctor's name. Besides the point, I have decided not to go there because they don't seem to have all the resources and expertise available. I was wondering how much did the Laser & Dermatology Institute ask to have your treatments done and how many treatments did you have? How long has it been since you had your treatments? Because Bigave said that after 1-2 months his acne came back worse. Can you let me know as soon as possible? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
    jcserrano
    (male)

jcserrano HB User

I completed my laser treatment about two weeks ago I can tell you that it did help me it was a treatment that consisted of 16 visits it was called the galaxy laser by syneron I still get one or two zits everyonce in a while but I think is because of what I eat. I also think my diet has helped alot so I can't say it was all the laser but I surely had its benefits. I now only have some scars but I'm starting a peeling treatment next week.
    The cost for this treatment was 1600 good luck by the way this place was probably like Celibre no doctor was there I could request him to treat me but didn't need to the girls (aestheticians) were great and did a great job.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
    whitehorse
    (female)

whitehorse HB User

I have had three smoothbeam treatments. Just finished my third one a week ago. I love smoothbeam!
    I had mild/persistent acne and mild scarring. The pimples started clearing within a week and with each treatment I get fewer and fewer breakouts and the spots I do get heal within a day or two. In fact I am currently almost 100% clear. I still have some scarring but even that is less obvious. I wear my hair in a ponytail all the time now, shower with my husband again, and go to the store with out makeup once in awhile!
    I am planning another one to three treatments and my doctor thinks I will probably need a yearly touchup after that.
    I can not tell you what a relief it is not to have to bother with my skin anymore. I have suffered for years! And now I can finally just wash my face with a mild cleanser and go to bed.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
    wondersteve
    (male)

wondersteve HB User
    Talking Re: Laser Treatment for Acne?

Thanks everybody for your help. I have decided that I am going through with the treatment. I will keep you all posted. After doing the math, I figured that I will actually be saving a lot of money in the long run. All those creams that never worked and all that time wasted. I also figured out that if I was to go on accutane it would cost a lot more at the end and the results are too slow. I figure I would have to pay for the pills, the doctor visits, and the lab work. After reasearching the Smooth Beam, it seems like the best because I can get other benefits from it. I think I can trust the Laser & Dermatology Institute because what they are saying makes sense. Besides they have all the lasers there. After all you're only young once right. Once again thanks everybody. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
    Merrideth
    (female)

Merrideth HB User

Co2 Laser surgery....

I used to have really bad acne all through highschool, which left really deep scaring and redness. I had laser surgery about 3 years ago, and considering the price, I had great expectations in the outcome. Unfortunately, it costed around 3k-5k dollars and faded my acne scaring about 80%. I can still see scars, especially standing in a certain light at a certain angle, then their REALLY noticeable!! AND THE REDNESS seems to have gotten worse. Everywhere the derm exposed my face to the laser is the only spots that are red, hense leaving a very embarrasing outline around my entire jawline. My neck is my regular complextion color, and then A RED FACE.
    The healing time after the laser took about 5-6 days. Your face swells up and you have to cover the affected area with a thick serum to help keep it moisturized. After all this complaining that I've shared with you though, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was miserable with severely deep scars, and after the laser surgery(no matter the pain nor the price), my self-confidence has increased dramatically and also I feel like my scars are sometimes gone, until I look for them. I really hope this helped you. Sorry for such a long response.

Closed Thread