It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• SELF INJECT METHOD ~ Saline Solution for Scars

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
    Kiki_Smiles
    (female)

Kiki_Smiles HB User
    Question SELF INJECT METHOD ~ Saline Solution for Scars

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board, but I've posted on several others on the topic of scarring, desperate to find a way to lessen my scars on my own. I've had several procedures but still have a few scars that really trouble me. I noticed that many people here have reported self injecting saline solution to fill in their scars, so I thought I'd ask about it.

What I'm really trying to understand is the best method for self injections. Specifically, what kind of solution to use. Some have reported using the kind that comes in an IV drip bag (which seems the safest). Others have said they used eye contact saline (which seems risky). I was thinking about using the tiny glass bottles of saline, similar to those you see in doctor's offices. The kind you turn upside down and insert the syringe in the bottle to fill.

Does anyone have any input on these questions:

~SUPPLIES~
    What gauge needle do you use and where do you buy yours?
    What kind of saline do you use and where do you buy yours?

~METHOD~
    What are the dangers of injecting saline?
    How often do you do the injections?
    Have you ever had a negative or "scary" outcome?
    How DEEP do you inject the needle?

Thanks so much!
    Christine

Last edited by Kiki_Smiles; 02-07-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
    Kiki_Smiles
    (female)

Kiki_Smiles HB User
    Thumbs up Re: SELF INJECT METHOD ~ Saline Solution for Scars

Hello again,

I found out some information about this procedure. Here's what I learned.

TYPE OF SALINE USED:
    The type of Saline used is "Physiological Saline" (0.9% NaCl).

TYPE OF NEEDLE USED:
    The size needle used is 30 gauge (very tiny). If you want an even smaller needle, then you would use a 33 gauge.

FIRST INJECTIONS:
    For best results, you would not fill up the scars completely to begin with. Instead, you would fill them incrementally, over a period of weeks - little by little. For example, if you were to have this done in a doctor's office, they would have you come in every 2 weeks for injections - and you would come in about 5 to 8 times before the scars were completely filled. Once you achieved the result you desired, you would go in for touch-ups on a monthly basis.

LONG TERM:
    Scars should improve 50% to 80% overall due to the Saline (supposedly) stimulating collagen growth.

Any Thoughts?
    Christine

Old 05-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
    Angelka
    (female)

Angelka HB User
    Re: SELF INJECT METHOD ~ Saline Solution for Scars

Had 3 injections so far...its too soon to tell but deff see improvement.

The solution does not act as a filler but as a treatment. The initial response is similar to a filler, and the scar is elevated with the surrounding tissue, but it only lasts one week.
    Saline is injected into the depressed acne scar, which causes stretching of the fibrous bands and mild collagen stimulation. Part of the saline solution remains in the scar and part of it gets absorbed by the body. Multiple treatments are necessary to accomplish optimum improvements. Injections are usually performed every 2-3 weeks - series of 6-8 treatments.
    There is commonly a 50-80% improvement on the scarring. There is little "downtime" and the patient will not appear "treated." As the patient continues treatment, he or she will notice the tissue becoming softer and easier to inject and expand. The results are excellent after the initial treatments and the maintenance schedule has been established. Can anyone share their post injection experience?

Closed Thread