It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Benzoyl Peroxide Vs. Salycic Acid??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
    Smartpants
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smartpants HB User
    Benzoyl Peroxide Vs. Salycic Acid??

I know these are the two medical ingredients we are supposed to look for in over the counter products, but is one better than the other?? why arent there prodcuts that contain both?? would it be smart to use a cleanser with benzoyl peroxide in the morning and one with salycic (sp?) acid at night? or is it better to stick with just one...what is the difference between the two?

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on these two medical ingredients ......

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
    xghostsniperx
    (male)

xghostsniperx HB User
    Re: Benzoyl Peroxide Vs. Salycic Acid??

Well, this is all that I know. It's not much, but it'll at least give you a general overview:

Benzoyl Peroxide: Benzoyl Peroxide is the stronger of the two, ususally very good at reducing inflamation and a good short term (sometimes long-term) solution to acne. However, everything that is stronger is always more irritating to sensetive skin. This stuff is usually used in Proactiv, if you've heard of it--you can also buy it in a pure form.

Salycic acid: Salycic acid is obviously the weaker. It's good for small, mild acne that just occours with many teens. They use an Oxy pad for a night and their pimple might be gone the next day.

I would go with the Benzoyl Peroxide if you have moderate acne and less-than sensetive skin. However, if you have really sensetive skin, use Salycic acid. But, remember that both are not nearly as effective as retinoids like Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac, etc. Don't expect amazing results if you have moderate, stubborn acne.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

If possible, use both. I use to use aveeno bar along with clearacil acne bar. Would lather one in each hand and rub together then wash my face. This way your getting the exfoliation and cleansing benefits of SA and the bacteria killing and cleansing of the BP.

Give that a try, it improved my face a ton.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
    Takara
    Inactive

Takara HB User

Salicylic acid is great for unclogging pores and exfoliating the skin. Benzoyl peroxide actually kills bacteria. They both can be irritating, but bp especially can cause the skin to become red and flakey, so you will need to ease your skin into it by using just a little at first. The combination of the two products is actually a great idea because the sa can unclog pores, then the bp can reach the bacteria hiding inside the pores.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
    Smartpants
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smartpants HB User

Thanks for the replies!! What you guys said totally makes sense - using both would seem to cover your bases! Just as a precaution though, i looked up the topic on the net where i found many warnings saying you are not supposed to use both BP and SA - not sure what exactly it could do, and i think ill give it a try anyway!

Old 02-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

They might say that because of excessive drying. I did not notice any difference between using em both and using them separate.

I used Clearasil acne bar and Aveeno Bar. Just don't go overboard, thinking the more you do the better off you'll be. Because its the exact opposite.

Please post what you intend on doing, so we/I may critque it. :P

Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
    Smartpants
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smartpants HB User

well, the benzoyl peroxide seems to be doing the job on its own, but im also using oxy or noxema pads (which contain salyclic acid) to wipe the makeup off in the evening before i use the BP product...is working WONDERFULLY so far!

Closed Thread