It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• After one month--Differin is not really working

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
    xghostsniperx
    (male)

xghostsniperx HB User
    After one month--Differin is not really working

I've been using Differin since Janurary 10th of this year. I'm a male, 16. So, I have fairly moderate acne--I have maybe one or two pimples on my forehead, a few on my temples, I have a bit on my cheeks back near where the jawbone starts, I have alot along my jawline also. I rarely get it on my chin, but it's most severe from my mouth to about the middle of my cheeks My acne doesn't COVER my face, but it's very very noticable

My regimine:

Morning:

Wash with Dove Sensetive Skin bar

Night:

Wash with Dove Sensetive Skin bar
    Exfoliate (every three nights) with St. Ive's Gentle Scrub
    Put on Differin .1% gel

I've JUST started exfoliating in these last two weeks. The red marks and acne in general around my right-mouth/cheek area is getting a bit better, but other than that it's not doing anything. I'm still breaking out. Do you think I should give it another two weeks/maybe a month?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
    andertrack
    (male)

andertrack HB User
    Arrow Re: After one month--Differin is not really working

My experience is that you need to stay on a medication for a long time, sometimes 12 weeks for you to notice the full effect of it. I have never used Differin; right now im using retin-a micro .1% at night after cleaning with cetaphil, and then duac gel in the morning. I also use a bentonite clay mask 2x a week. The retin-a is about the same thing as differin and if anything in the first weeks you will break out a little bc the med is getting the crud out of your skin. I would ask your derm about getting BP too, it would help with the breakouts.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Re: After one month--Differin is not really working

Most topicals take at least 8 to 12 wks to notice any difference.Some might even take longer id at least give it a good 3 months.You could be one of those stubborn cases.Or it might not be strong enough for your acne.Ive been on differin since beginning of last summer.Had a pretty good summer ,still broke out alittle here and there.When it started to get colder the differin for some reason wasnt working as well.To me 6 pimples on my chin that are medium size are not acceptable.So i'll be heading back to the derm to see about changing to something else before summer hits.Dont relish the idea of hiding out in my house all summer long,especially because in our community we have an inground pool.My 6 yr old loves to swim so i dont want to mess up his summer.I hope that the differin kicks in for you,i know how frustrating acne can be.Just think how you'd feel if you were 48 and still fighting acne,thats major embarassment.Most ppl expect teens to sometimes get acne,but not ppl who are in there 40s.Take care.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

Differin isa slow working med it regenerates new skin cells..clearing the build up outta your pores to keep u from breaking..out.. started Differin DEc 23rd ,2004 it been 2 mos and my skin has grealty improved hte first month was bad..lots of breakouts but that wat it supoe to do..I apply Klaron at nite as well another topical..so ya might ask about a additonal topical (a gentle one)I would alos suggest not using a bar soap as it is filled with waxes and lards holding it together whihc greatly contribute to brakouts..try a gentle foaming cleasning like from Neutrogena or oil of olay.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

It took me OVER 12 weeks to see results with Differin. And I agree, you should maybe ask your doctor about prescribing an antibiotic cream or lotion for the morning.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
    xsweetsugarx
    (female)

xsweetsugarx HB User

i was on differin for about 2 1/2 months...i saw very little results, in fact it dried out my skin. so, i say...use something else!

Old 02-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
    aestud3

aestud3 HB User

I have these little acne bumps on my forehead, I don't really know what to classify them as, but they aren't really red, they just look like little bumps. Should I apply the differin all over this region? And will it dry/irritate my skin?

Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
    xghostsniperx
    (male)

xghostsniperx HB User

^^^^

I have the same thing. I've been using the Differin on it and they've decreased in number a bit.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
    thismortalcoil

thismortalcoil HB User

I agree...St. Ives is very harsh and will irritate your acne. I thought I was doing a good thing by using it because it exfoliates so well, but it was only aggravating my skin and making me break out worse. I stopped using it and my face instantly improved. (although it's still not in good shape, it's better than when I was using St. Ives) I now use it VERY sparingly about once every other week just if the skin around my nose is feeling a bit rough and I need some extra exfoliation.

I just started Differin about 3 days ago and it makes my skin so tight and dry and it kind of burns...but I'm going to stick it out and see how it goes.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
    tracy0021
    (female)

tracy0021 HB User

hi mortal, if the differin is doing that to your face, you are probably applying to much(i know i did thinking more is better)it really is true that you only need a pea sized amount for your whole face. also, if it is burning and red, your supposed to use it every other night until your skin adjusts to it. now this about drove me crazy when i had to do this, because i wanted immediate results! but it really does work, your skin just has to get used to the product.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
    cln5462
    Inactive

cln5462 HB User

Differin did not work for me whatsoever. If you can't tolerate Differin, have you tried Retin A micro (.002%). Or if you can't use Retin A, try something like a glycolic acid 10%. I prefer the glycolic to anything else. Additionally, it more moisturizing.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

Differin worked great for me..just note it does take a long time up to 3 mos..

Closed Thread