It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Minocycline 100 mg 2 times daily /w differin .1% gel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
    mightbaal
    (male)

mightbaal HB User
    Minocycline 100 mg 2 times daily /w differin .1% gel

I got these prescriptions from my doc today and I am excited to start it I am suppost to use the differin gel once every other night and the minocycline I have to take 100 mg 2 times a day and I need to see my doc after 2 months and he said I will most likly see results after like 1 week. I thought that was kinda early to see results I have minor to moderate acne only on my cheeks and my jawline and chin but he said that there is alot of my face that is smooth and these are the only areas I really only have problems with but I sometimes get a pimple on my forehead but very rarly. He said after 2 months if its good then he will lower me to 100 mgs a day and then work my way down to the gel only. He wanted to put me on topical antibiotics but I suggested the pills cause he said that will most likly work better than the topical anti-biotics. How rough is differin gel on your skin? What are the success rates of minocycline and differin? Do you think it will work for me good? btw I have acne only on the places on my face not on my back or chest but once in awhile I get a pimple on my butt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User
    Re: Minocycline 100 mg 2 times daily /w differin .1% gel

I've been on DIfferin for 9wks now..I started with teh gel but after 2 wks switched to the cream the gel is very dring...in the first few wks you;ll get red,dry and flakey...only apply a small amount..more wont make it work better...you very liely will get worse before improving(intail breakout)..Differin is a retinoid just like retina it regenerates new skins cells but bringing up the debri stuck in your pores..slow process good results are around 8-12 wks..so hag in there..wash witha gentle cleanser and maybe get a good oil free moistuizer...

Old 03-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
    lisa24
    Inactive
    (female)

lisa24 HB User

Hi, just to share a positive story with you - I went on mino, 200mg a day, and saw improvements by the end of the first week. I think I stopped breaking out pretty much immediately, and just had to wait for the old breakouts to go away. I would say I was clear or almost clear after 2 weeks.
    He gave me RetinA, too, but I didn't use the stuff. I tried, but didn't like it. Matter of fact I don't like any of the topicals, so I just avoid them.

I would say I prob had moderate acne at the time I started.
    Good Luck to you!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
    mightbaal
    (male)

mightbaal HB User

I was on minocycline along time ago but I dont think I was on it very long only like 10-30 days (I cant remeber) plus I dont think I took them respectfuly missing doses and stuff like that plus it was probally a low dose my mom says it helped a bit at the time. So now I will be taking them respectfully and I will try only the pills for the 1st week. If thats not good (if any breakouts occur) then I will start the gel but topicals dont do good for me like BP 10% salcic acid 2% and I tried like milk thistle low doses of b-5 nothing worked only made it worse in all cases besides the milk thistle mabey that helped alittle.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
    aatif
    (male)

aatif HB User

yup,mino it seems like its the only oral acne medicine available...but to be serious,it's good and twice daily is definitely gonna help you.you didnt mention which gels did the doc prescribe you ,anyways see clear skin in 1 week !
    Goodluck !

Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
    mightbaal
    (male)

mightbaal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aatif
    yup,mino it seems like its the only oral acne medicine available...but to be serious,it's good and twice daily is definitely gonna help you.you didnt mention which gels did the doc prescribe you ,anyways see clear skin in 1 week !
    Goodluck !
    Not clear in 1 week but just starting to see results in 1 week like less breakouts...

Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
    sourpunch
    (female)

sourpunch HB User

im also on 200mg mino total, minus the differin. before i took mino, a doctor prescribed me differin gel. i did not like it. it made me oliy slick and icky and i kept breaking out in massive amounts all over, even in places where i hardly ever get pimples--like my forehead. i used differin for about 9 1/2 weeks, just hoping that it would get better cus i already went thru that initial breakout and didnt want it all go for nothing. but then i saw a derm and he prescribed me mino. im still breaking out on mino and its been 6 weeks on it!! he said it may take longer for me cus my acne is bad. hopefully you clear up soon! im still taking it though.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
    lachesis
    (female)

lachesis HB User

mino was miraculously wonderful for me personally. it began to work almost immediately and basically got rid of all my acne (facial and back, and now i have nothing on my back). if you plan on being on antibiotics for awhile i would suggest you take acidophilus (refrigerated, otherwise it doesn't work) which you can find in most health food stores and which replaces the good bacteria in your intestines that the mino kills that you need.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

I think Differin works best for those who have mild to moderate acne..seems to be less effective with those wo have more moderately bad to severve...as far as the gel differin turning your skin into a oil slick ..its quite drying so maybe your skin was compensating and produced ore oil to make up for the dryness caused from Differin mbecause the gel itelf is sheer and evaporated into the skin nicely ..so does the cream differin which I'm on...9 wks in and i'm pleased..

Last edited by BJM04; 03-01-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 03-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
    mightbaal
    (male)

mightbaal HB User

I looked at the differin gel directions and it says its normal that your skin may get worse for 2-3 weeks so I will not start the gel unless the minocycline dosn't give me results in 6 weeks!

Closed Thread