It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cystic Acne, who else has it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Cystic Acne, who else has it?

Hey guys,

I wanted to start this thread for people that suffer from cystic acne. It is very diffrent than the acne most people suffer from, I get a little frustrated wondering if the people posting have the same kind of acne I do or maybe just break out once a month, or maybe going through puberty. So let us have it, if you have it. I will start us off:

I am 27 yr old female. I have cystic acne. It is a real pain in the rear and humiliating! I have tried all OTC stuff, all the mail order stuff, BC pills, everything the derm could give me short of accutane, tanning, nothing has made any difference. Even spiro hasn't worked for me. I have been battling this since I was about 22. Before that I only got a pimple or two around my period. Continue to search for something that will make it go away or at least help!!!
    Anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
    MommyPox
    (female)

MommyPox HB User
    Re: Cystic Acne, who else has it?

I am 22. Never really had acne through teen aged years. At about 20, I got ance, and it turned cystic.(yep only in two years) And severe at that!! It's humiliating, painful, and very upsetting. It leaves behind numerous scars on my face and it's really starting to affect my personality.
    I have tried all OTC, a couple mail orders, and a few precription meds. Now I am on accutane. Day 20, still in initial breakout. Good luck with your battle deltoro!!

Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

You too, how has the accutane been for you?

Old 03-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
    neumann

neumann HB User

I am going to be 20 and I suffer from cystic acne. I mainly have these cysts on my jaw-line and neck and they hurt like hell. And they never go away. I am thinking about taking accutane, but I am going to wait until school is over in may because of the side effects. I asked my physician what he thought about accutane and he said he thinks its great. Then I asked about the side effects and he told me the first couple months my face will be red as can be and that the derm will have to keep a close watch on me....Hopefully accutane works for me or I will be very upset.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Good luck on the accutane, I am still holding off on the accutane, I am too afraid of the side effects! Maybe one day I will be brave enough!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Im 21, and Ive got it. I got it for my 21st birthday practically. I had beautiful skin up until September 2004. It seriously erupted all over my chin out of NOWHERE. I dont know why I got this severe form of acne out of the blue- but im trying desperately to make it go away. Right now im using Retin-A Micro and Doxycycline (oral antibiotic) and Im on Estrostep Bcp.
    I hate the Retin-A Micro. I got a....particularly hideous breed of horrible initial breakout on this stuff. I kid you not..I now know what suicidal means. I really couldnt believe how bad it was. I went to the Derm and got Doxycycline about 2 and a half weeks ago, and So far..I dont see much of a difference. Im on Retin-A Micro almost 6 weeks.
    Im considering Accutane because Im so desperate for it to go away. It leaves these horrible red marks that make my skin look like I have a rash or something. They take forever to fade. I was an aspiring model and had to stop because of this. Im also a hairstylist and its really hard to face people and be confident when you have acne. So Its seriously affecting me and I want it GONE.
    What does your acne actually look like? Im trying to determine if what I have is really cystic acne. Its under my skin, red..almost shiney bumps..and they are SO painful. They get medium sized..sometimes a little bigger than a pencil eraser or so- and some have even connected to form a monster cyst. Eventually, some of them will come to a head- but they still take forever to fade away after that. Are those cysts?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Yes, they are, sorry. You are about the age when it hits, for what reason Ihave no idea but I was about 22 when I literally just woke up with it, I had never really had an acne problem before either..give the meds some time to work and see what happens..good luck to you

Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #8
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User

ive got cystic acne on my back and shoulders and just normal acne on my face ive been on all antibiotics for it and they did not work so im on accutane now into my 2nd month and its cleared some of the cyst already just the painful side effects i hate

goodluck

Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 AM   #9
    MommyPox
    (female)

MommyPox HB User

As far as side effects for me on the tane. I have dry lips and a dry mouth. My skin has dried a bit, but nothing lotion can't take care of. But I am only on 20mgs/day for 21 days now. Maybe I will be upped at my next visit to the derm and my list of side effects will change. But IMO, it's totally worth it. I have 9 days left on 20mgs, can wait to upped in dose and start seeing results rather than just side effects. Good Luck everyone!!

Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Yeah, Thats what I figured it was. Its so weird- I woke up with it too. Its awful because I went from having clear skin to dealing with the worst type of acne withnin a matter of a few weeks. I still have a ton of red marks left from the really,really bad breakouts. Im hoping these start to go away. I want to go on Accutane before it turns into scarring acne (meaning icepick, etc).
    Accutane brings a whole new set of problems though. Im terrorfied of the initial breakout. Im terrorfied that Ill end up with worse acne. Im terrorfied Ill get depressed or suicidal or...have some kind of health meltdown on it. I wish they didnt stress the side effects so much...Because it seems like the worst things people get are dry...well, everything- and joint pain. But for those of us suffering with cystic acne and being held back in life- they've scared us into not wanting to take something that could potentially give us our life back. I just do not know what to do. Any advice?
    By the way- Mommypox.. I saw you are on 20 mgs. Have you seen ANY difference? ANY initial breakout? How is it going so far for you? I think even on any dose- you wont see results until around the 3rd month. Thats what Ive read, at least ..from more than a few people actually. So I wanted to wish you luck with it, and I hope it clears you up permanently!

Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I know what you mean juicy. I was in the derms office, he told me all that was left was accutane, he brought in his nurse as a witness and they handed me a booklet on the side effects and risk of accutane, I had to sign about five sheets of paper saying I agree to the side effects and I have read and been notified of the potential risk. I have never had anything like that happen to me at any doctors apt for any medication it scared me to death. Then I had to take a pregancy test, and sign a paper saying I new the risk on an unborn fetus and would use two forms of BC while on accutane. Then I was told to come back in a month for another pregancy test, I left the office and I totally freaked out and didn't go back for my second pregancy test and never got my prescribtion. Taking the medicine is a long road, and your face will be alot worse before it gets better, that scares me. It also scares me that I might go through 3-6 months of this and it might not work!! There are no gaurantees! I wish I wasn't so afraid of it, but I am.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Awww I dont blame you! That would scare me to death!!!
    Sometimes I think they stress the side effects mainly because of the pregnancy thing. There are alot of idiots out there that dont care- and would get pregnant on the drug. You cant even get pregnant while using Retin-A Micro.. Nevermind an oral drug thats more potent than..pretty much ANYTHING!
    So.. They seem to stress that its last resort because of THAT, possibly? They want to save themselves from having people get pregnant. Because literally..for every 2 people who get depressed, theres 400 that get dry lips and skin and thats all. I guess its a precautionary thing..but look at the amount of people who have taken it! I heard Jessica Simpson took it. Actually, alot of celebrities and thats how they keep their skin so clear and non-oily.
    It definately is a huge decision. Life altering, really. It could turn you into a fossil, or it can turn you into a socialite with more confidence than you ever dreamed of. Its like Russion Roulette though.. What will it do to YOU? Everyones different. And thats why it sucks.
    I noticed, though- that for alot of people that say it "came back after a few months" werent continuing a regimen. When you are off accutane, it doesnt mean you are no longer acne-prone. You have to use preventative measures to ensure your skin doesnt revert back. I asked a few people who claimed to have the acne come back, what they used after treatment. They all said "Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer" ..... Well hello. You have to use benzoyl peroxide, retin-a micro, SOMETHING.
    Do you think youll consider it again?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
    lllynch
    (male)

lllynch HB User

I am 25 and also have cystic acne, so I definitely know what everyone's going through. I finally decided to go see a derm 3 weeks ago. I can't believe it took me that long to go, since it all started when I turned 20. I guess I thought I would be able to clear it up myself, but after trying so many different things, I decided it was time.

Anyway, I was prescribed doxycycline. I was told to take 1 100mg pill once a day. I've been taking it for almost 3 weeks now and have done nothing but breakout. It's probably the worst I've ever experienced. The weird thing is that it's mainly in just the bottom half of my face (chin and jawline areas) and they are all bunched together. Looks like I have some kind of desease. It's slowing claming down though, but it's taking forever for these breakouts to heal. I called my derm and was told that this is normal and that everything is being pushed to the surface. He said it would take 4-6 weeks to start seeing good results. It's just so frustrating to wait that long.

I did a little research through message boards and saw that most people were prescribed 1 100mg pill taken twice a day, where I only take it once. Can this be a factor? Also, what can I do to help with the irritation on the bottom half of my face? I was using makuka oil and a sulfur mask at night to help dry up some spots, but stopped cause it just caused more irritation. Should I just use a gentle wash, moisturize, and not apply anthing else? Does 100% aloe vera gel help? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Aloe Vera does help a little, I would mainly jusy gently wash and moisturize, as not to make it any worse. Good Luck

Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
    Wifey
    (female)

Wifey HB User

Yes, I HAD cystic acne which is why I'm on Accutane. It is doing wonders for my skin! I am at about 3 1/2 months.

Closed Thread