It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Azelaic/Azelex acne cream

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
    Christi602

Christi602 HB User
    Question Azelaic/Azelex acne cream

I'm new to this board...
    Has anyone used azelex or azelaic prescription cream for their face? I've only read a few topics on this cream. It claims to work very well with mild/moderate acne. It's also specifically made for women with hormonal acne.
    Anyone know anything about this new med. or have tried this???
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
    mariee

mariee HB User
    i tried it and threw it away because it burned the heck out of my skin. that is the sensitive-skin perspective...

Old 02-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    I have about 2 months of Azelaic Acid experience and I have good and bad things to say. On one side of my face it has COMPLETELY wiped out pimples, postules, and cysts. However the other side, it is just taking a really long time, but there is some improvement.

The real negative thing about Azelaic Acid is that my skin gets these zit rashes every now and then on my face. They have little white dots, but they are not zits and are not pimples. They usually hang around a couple of days and can be a nuisance. Not sure how to stop from getting them other than taking myself off all toghether though. So anyway, I'm going to give it another month, but for now, I think its beneficial enough to use, but is not an acne cure.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
    goodmuckle

goodmuckle HB User
    I agree with Tummy, in my experience it is decent at controlling moderate acne, but in no way has it eradicated postule acne like some of the other topicals like differin and retin-a. I have been pleased overall with Azelex though because it doesn't aggravate my skin and make it red like other topicals.

Old 02-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
    PiNk TrOLL
    (female)

PiNk TrOLL HB User
    Question

hey, i've been using Azelaic acid cream in the form of FINEVIN.
    and i've been getting those white bumps too (on my forehead) and they're so annoying and they were driving me crazy because i didn't realize it was from the cream.

i have sensitive skin too and it hasn't been really like burning or anything but it hasn't been helping either.

Old 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    How long have you been on it? I wonder if they go away during the course of treatment. I'm wondering though because they seem to be more frequent the longer I'm using it. Go Figure.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
    kid charlemagne

kid charlemagne HB User
    i've been using azalex for about two years and i get those small little zits also. still it is the best topical i have found so far. it hasn't completely cleared me but it's the best i've found so far.

Old 02-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
    PiNk TrOLL
    (female)

PiNk TrOLL HB User
    i've only been using it for like a week and i've been getting the bumps on my forehead. i stopped using it and i guess now they're getting better.
    but i've also been putting TAZORAC on those spots.

Old 02-21-2003, 06:25 PM   #9
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    I did a search on this stuff a week ago and read nothing but great wonderful comments on this stuff so I went and bought it online .NOW, after I already bought it everybody posts all these negative things about it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Its starting to sound like this is the WORST stuff I could have bought ! Man,I hope my forehead and face don't breakout in a bunch of small little zits .

[This message has been edited by dsheldon3 (edited 02-21-2003).]

Old 02-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #10
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    No not at all, this is a good product. These "zits" or spots that we are getting are not that bad in the grand scheme of things. At least for me, they are a mild inconvenience, but I know they will go away quickly so I'm not real bothered by them. Azelex is probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. True, I'm not CLEAR,but I am much improved and to me that means its at least working. I won't stop using it because of what it does...there's not really anythint else besides Accutane that I'd rather use anyway.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #11
    Capt Zit

Capt Zit HB User
    anyone ever consider trying one of those hair loss formula's on there face? some, like crinagen, consist of 5% Azelaic Acid; Gamma Linolenic acid, Zinc acetate hydrate; Niacin; Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal-5-phosphate); Saw palmetto
    extract (serenoa repens); Ginkgo biloba, Oleic acid, tea tree oil, Ribofalvin, Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) and Proanthocyanidins from grape seed extract. would it be too harsh?

i read those ingredients and thought, is this for acne or hair loss? dht causes both of them. that's why things like spiro and the illusive and legendary, never released ru58841 cure both. also why they thought azelaic acid would work better than it does, b/c it's an anti-androgen. problem is they're never really sure how each will work once applied to the skin. they credit it's "antimicrobial" properties, and that makes me wonder about why the drug companies seem to want to hide the truth about acne. or maybe they do that b/c it doesn't work so well as an antiadrogonen topically? i'm probably just paranoid. back to the initial point, there's evidence that azelaic acid's antiand. effects are enhanced when combined with zinc. i'm going to try spiro lotion once i get it. it may impede hair growth on my face but what do i care if it works. being a male, topical anti androgonens are my only option in this area, as they aren't systemicly assimilated to any degree of concern and won't alter internal hormone levels.

[This message has been edited by Capt Zit (edited 02-25-2003).]

Old 04-25-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
    roxychick

roxychick HB User
    I have never used the Azelaic but when I first went to sem my dermatologist I had lttle white bumps on my forehead...and she perscribed me Loprox Topical Suspension...you just need a tiny bit and you put it on the bumps and I even use it for the dryness around my nose...it worked with in two days...and it lasts a really long time. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread