It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• low dose of accutane for maintenance?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
    cinderella16

cinderella16 HB User
    low dose of accutane for maintenance?

I've taken accutane 3 times in the past, which got rid of my cystic acne for a certain amount of time, but never actually completely cleared my skin. After all of that, overtime my acne began getting worse and for the past couple of months i've been trying Diane-35, which is a birth control pill for acne. That didn't seem to be working so my derm added spironolactone along with Diane-35. Unfortunately, that hasn't been showing any results, and my skin is going from mild acne back to severe, cystic acne. It's extremely frustrating. Today my derm suggested i try to take only a low dose of accutane 10mg /day along with the Diane 35 to see if that would get things under control. Has anyone tried a low dose of accutane instead of going through the whole treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
    Und3rc0v3r
    Inactive
    (male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User
    Re: low dose of accutane for maintenance?

Hey

I having been taking a maintenance dosage of accutane now for over a year. I started on the normal dose and got fed up of the side-effects so I lowered it. At one point I was only taking 20mg once every three days but slowly but surely the acne came back. So now I take one 20mg capsule a day. I'm not 100% clear but I am sure it helps and means I don't have to be as strict as I should with my diet.

Feel free to ask any other questions. By the way, I'm doing this on my own iniative. I don't care what the dermatologist, or any other physician, would say about it. Clear skin is very important to me.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
    senoflys
    (male)

senoflys HB User
    Re: low dose of accutane for maintenance?

hey undercover..where do you get your accutane? i didn't think doctors would give prescriptions for it for that long, also do you still have red marks or because you get so few zits do are those no longer a problem? thanks

Closed Thread