It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• compulsive picking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
    *evanescence*

*evanescence* HB User
    Post compulsive picking

Hey everyone. I was wondering does anyone else have like a compulsion to pick their skin. I have gotten the picking under some what of a control ,but I wish I could stop all together. I know picking just leaves scars and makes the skin condition worse ,but I still pick. Do you have any suggestions. Thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    We've had a lot of advice on past posts about this. I think lowering the lights in your bathroom is a great idea. What you can't see, you can't pick. Also, stay real busy and don't wash your face or look in the mirror until you are dead tired and ready for bed. You won't have the TIME to pick. I think a lot of picking is due to being too idle. You also have to constantly remind yourself that every pick is going to set you back. If you're really determined to clear up, you have to lay off the picking. If you really can't, and that's understandable, do it gently and put a limit on how many you can pick each day. Picking was the cause of my getting cysts IN THE PAST. I quit doing it, except for the gentle easing out of blackheads once a week or an occasional small zit that can come out easily, and my face has done a l00% turnaround.

Old 04-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    I just thought of something else that has helped reinforce my determination to stop picking. Scouselad talked about putting hydrocortisone on zits and I've tried it and it really works. If you are waiting for something to work, and therefore feel you are doing something about the zits, you don't want to touch them. It makes you feel like you are in control and doing something, but something healthy and not destructive. PATIENCE!! Also, chart your progress by experimenting with a no-picking week--just one--and see the difference in your skin from a picking week compared to a non-picking week. I think you'll see a dramatic difference, and that will give you the strength to resist.

[This message has been edited by poreoilyme (edited 04-26-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 10:39 PM   #4
    leopolda

leopolda HB User
    I think there are people who just kinda pick, and then there are people who compulsively pick (out of control). I am the latter. I finally started looking into it and it has a name: Compulsive Skin Picking or CSP (also known as dermatillomania). Do a search for it on google, and it will bring up a lot of very useful information. There are also some discussion boards out there on this very subject which I have found immensely comforting and useful. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by leopolda (edited 04-25-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
    qhgurly

qhgurly HB User
    I agree with Poreo dont look in the mirror as often and you will be less likely to pick and poke. If your in a class or a place where you have to sit... Don't have your hands near or around your face... Try to keep you self busy with other things to avoid touching your face.

Old 04-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #6
    *evanescence*

*evanescence* HB User
    Thanx for all your help.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
    aliasfan1981

aliasfan1981 HB User
    This is totally unrelated to picking but Evanescence rocks! (I mean the band, although I'm sure you rock also.)

Old 04-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
    CaV961
    Inactive

CaV961 HB User
    Lightbulb

this might sound kinda weird, but when i'm sitting in my house and feel tempted, i just put on my baseball batting gloves. makes it impossible

Old 04-26-2003, 11:42 AM   #9
    poreoilyme
    Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
    Good for you! It would take a mighty large cyst to require popping with those gloves, lol!

Old 04-26-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
    *evanescence*

*evanescence* HB User
    Yeah I love their music. I am also a fan of the Alias show. Thanx for the advice.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
    nastybreakz

nastybreakz HB User
    Re: compulsive picking

I feel your pain, I pick to it's only normal I'm thinking, because my was saying something to me and my mom and I tell them you would pick to if it was constantly on your face I dont' know I have the same prob but picking leads to increased exposure of the bacteria that is causing the pimple which can lead to more breakouts it get on your fingers and you touch other spots ect anyway you get the idea at least that what is possible. who knows I pick to don't feel bad.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #12
    UnRuLy

UnRuLy HB User

wow you are just like me! if i ever saw a pimple even if it was so so tiny i would start picking! i dont really think theres any way to stop you from picking. i mean if your going to then your going to ya know. but diming the lights sounds like it could work! and if you know they leave scars girl then y do you pick?? next time you go to pick think about that! **dont pick**

LyNdSeY

Old 06-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #13
    lola7

lola7 HB User

it wasnt until recently that i learned there was an actual disorder, and a name for this problem that i had...its still really weird for me to talk about (thats why im 'typing' about it instead ) ive been reading these posts, and the suggestions that people give, and its interesting to see how many people have the same problem.

my problem has gotten so out of control, i actually look forward to times when i can 'pick' and no one can see me (while driving, etc..)
    the problem is mostly in places where it is hidden, like on my head underneath my hair..my hairdresser said something to me about a year ago, and now i am embarassed to go anywhere else because they'll see it too!

ive tried to stop (obviously), and i cant figure out why it wont work! i know i lack will-power, and have a very addictive personality, but why is this so hard??

Old 06-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
    dani_78_78

dani_78_78 HB User

I'm not sure exactly how much you do this but I know when I get a zit I pop it. Then that makes it worse because I keep touching it and then it itches and it becomes a bigger problem. I stopped touching my face like I used to because of a lady I met at work. She was just a customer and she said girl you need to stop picking at your face. I was so embarassed that I tried so hard to stop. Well I didn't do it as much but I just couldn't stop because I hate that white zit on my face. Here is what I'm doing about that.

I use proactive I have used it for exactly a week today. I totally stopped touching my face. I have had two little pimples since then which I haven't touched. Proactiv has made my pimples smaller and less often. It says that it takes about 2-8 weeks to be totally cleared up. But I have read so many times not to touch your face because it makes zits spread. Now every morning and night when I use proactiv my face feels good and clean and I just don't want to make it dirty so I just don't touch it.

I have also read that you can put the mask on a zit and it will go away the next day. I'm going to try that today.

You just have to tell yourself that picking your face will only make it worse. My has cleared up because of the proactive but I also think it helps that I don't touch my face at all. Good Luck.

Last edited by dani_78_78; 06-23-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
    kaonca

kaonca HB User

I too am 'tres' guilty of picking, unfortunately my acne is more of the cystic nature, so every pick results in a laarge sore with scabbing. I have tried to ignore but the sores under the skin never seem to go away, until I release the buildup under the skin. I even asked my derm and he said it will make it worse if you pick. I find it won't get better until I do. One thing I try very hard to do is wash my hands before I pick at anything, so as to limit the spread of any bacteria on my face.

Closed Thread