It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne is frustrating isn't it? Plz read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
    ForgottenFaith
    Veteran
    (male)

ForgottenFaith HB User
    wrong board

wrong board

Last edited by ForgottenFaith; 03-13-2005 at 09:35 PM. Reason: multiple users, different accounts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
    DaOutlaw
    (male)

DaOutlaw HB User
    Acne is frustrating isn't it? Plz read

I was clear for nearly a month and a lot of my red marks were about nearly gone, then I have a small breakout and they return. It takes so long for red marks to fade almost completely and just one day for them to return. There's no winning. Sometimes I wonder what's the point in trying, then I realize there are many, so I perservere. I am at my wits end trying to figure acne out, but there really is no answer. I took Accutane a little over 3 years ago and it did wonders for my skin, clearing up my moderate-severe acne, but the aftermath was red marks. Acne isn't a problem that much anymore, but when my skin starts clearing up of red marks, new acne pops up, and new red marks appear. I did the natural approach (eating right) and still do it, but not for acne reasons, and I can attest that it has no bearing on your skin. It's all mental if anything, and hormonal of course. I ate whatever I wanted while on Accutane and I stayed clear throughout the course and I can still eat anything, but I play sports and can't afford to eat that way. Unless you're allergic to a specific type of food, I really don't see how it would affect your skin. A point that I always tried to convey was that it's hard to pin-point the cause for your acne when you have full-blown or active acne, because whatever you do, you're going to breakout regardless. I do encourage those who are afraid to see a dermatologist or take accutane, to give it a try. I know there are a lot of horror stories about Accutane online, and no positive ones, but Accutane is safe under a doctor's supervision. I really don't buy that 'Accutane made me depressed' garbage either. Accutane doesn't make you depressed, acne does, or the realization that you're taking the strongest drug on the market, but Accutane doesn't chemically induce it. It's seriously all mental. If you go on the drug and tell yourself nothing will happen, then nothing will happen. Stay strong minded and you'll be fine (sorry if I offend anyone, but it's true).

I, for one, didn't suffer from acne for as long as many people on here did or still do, but I experienced severe acne, and I tried many otc products and prescription drugs. The key to fighting acne is knowing your skin. You know your skin better than your dermalogist does sometimes, but there are drugs out there that work. From my experience, any otc product that you buy that specifically says that it's for acne, is not good for your skin at all, because of the harsh chemicals. Find a good skin care regimen for your skin and stick to it.

Some things that I would recommend you not to do if you have active acne are the following:

*Don't deprive yourself of food, unless it's for dietary reasons, with acne not being one of them. If you suspect a specific type of food to be the culprit of your acne, seek the advice of a doctor who specializes in that health practice, so he can more or less confirm your suspicions. Your diet has no bearing on your skin --- just stretch marks .

One line that makes me laugh is "I ate chocolate earlier and 15 minutes later I felt a pimple forming!!!" ( or something along those lines). Let me keep it real. The chocolate didn't make a pimple magically sprout in 15 minutes, it's your paranoia that made you feel guilty, and caused you to run your fingers over your skin that lead you to feel one that you didn't know was there prior to your guilt trip. It's paranoia, people, you know it. How many of you have ran your fingers over your skin or put too much thought into your skin after you did something that you feel is bad for your skin? I know I'm not the only one. Point made.

*Don't look in the mirror. As hard as it is to do, don't do it. The last thing you need is a reminder of how bad your skin looks, but don't be discouraged --- mirrors are deceiving. They distort your image and give you the illusion of what you're seeing is your actual reflection. Samething with lights.

*Don't pick. I know this is probably the most difficult because your skin can be itching like crazy, but try your hardest not to pick. You're only pushing the bacteria deeper into your skin, and it's why you have recurring zits in the same spot.

I think acne is very much mental than it is anything else. I do believe that stress causes acne. As I eluded to earlier, I don't think food has a bearing your skin, but I do believe that people get a sense of calm when they eat well, thus leading to a decrease in paranoia over what they put in their mouth, which at the end of the day makes them feel better because they know they're taking care of themselves.

If anyone on here has any questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Don't ask about diet, though. There are people who can enlighten you a lot better than I can on this message board, but let me tell you this. Sometimes putting too much thought into something can actually work against you. I've seen vegetarians with acne. I'm just giving you my opinion about diet, and I do advise you to have your suspicions confirmed by doctors or herbalists and not some poster on this board. I'm here to help and would love to answer any questions, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone in my course to do so, but I'm being an absolute realist.

Last edited by DaOutlaw; 03-13-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:19 AM   #3
    yelps
    (male)

yelps HB User
    Re: Acne is frustrating isn't it? Plz read

Acne is not caused or made worse by mental stress. Acne causes depression thats for sure.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
    DaOutlaw
    (male)

DaOutlaw HB User
    Re: Acne is frustrating isn't it? Plz read

It's just my opinion from what I have observed. Stress alone might not break you out (it could), but it certainly is the root and culprit to why you do the things you do with your skin. EVERYONE on this board is stressing over their skin, and it is evident because they wouldn't be here if they weren't. You'd be surprised on how much mental stress has a bearing on your skin. Just think about it.

Closed Thread