It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• RED FACE - Need Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
    niceguy22
    (male)

niceguy22 HB User
    RED FACE - Need Help

Hey, I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but I've always had very sensitive skin. I burn easily and am still battling acne at the age of 18. My skin is also naturally oily. My problem though, is that my face is constantly a shade of red, especially my nose, and I blush VERY easily. Just sitting in class I will blush BRIGHT red for no apparent reason, I just think about it and I blush. I can actually feel the blood level in my face rising and the heat building up. Anyway, I'm on doxycyline 2X a day and I'm wondering if any one out has some advice on why this happening and what I can do about it. I moisturize every day and use Retinol treatments every few days.

I don't know if my face becomes red becomes of too much moisturizer and heat is just building up, or becomes I'm using too little and my skin is just irritated. I also mix retinol treatments like Tazorac and Differin with moisturizers in an attempt to lessen their affect and find the right balance. But no matter what I do, my face is red, and I blush very easily. If you have any advice on moisturizers or any facial treatment I can do to battle this, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User
    Re: RED FACE - Need Help

If you get this in the cheeks and across your nose it could be Rosacea. Have you seen a derm about it. I get blushing alot but mine is from anxiety.
    goodluck

Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Niceguy, the blushing and the redness could be two separate problems.

The redness on your face may be due to skin irritation from over using the retinols. You need only minute applications of these medications on your face. Try giving your face a 10 day break from any harsh creams and just wash your face with a dermatological acqueous cream like e45 to see how it responds. If it is still red then it could possibly be Rosacea as Stan has already mentioned.

With regards to the blushing, I suffer from the same annoying problem and know how you feel. I blush/flush as a result of anxiety, nervousness, embarrassement or even when I bend down I can feel the blood rushing to my face and it turns all blotchy. Moisturising will not make any difference as the blushing is the result of internal processes almost out of your control when it happens. Unfortunately, just as there are people who are acne-prone and others who are not, there are also people who have a greater propensity to blush over others. This has something to do with a higher number of blood vessels in the face area some when one of the triggers are activated (e.g. anxiety) they dilate and you blush. Also, taking antibiotics is definitely not going to help the situation.

I would say your best bet to control the problem is to try relaxation techniques, exercise and meditation. If you don't mind spending a lot of money then you can try having sessions of IPL (Intense Pulse Light) treatment.

Stan have you found a way to control yours?

Last edited by Neca; 03-22-2005 at 08:52 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User
    Post Re: RED FACE - Need Help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neca
    Niceguy, the blushing and the redness could be two separate problems.

The redness on your face may be due to skin irritation from over using the retinols. You need only minute applications of these medications on your face. Try giving your face a 10 day break from any harsh creams and just wash your face with a dermatological acqueous cream like e45 to see how it responds. If it is still red then it could possibly be Rosacea as Stan has already mentioned.

With regards to the blushing, I suffer from the same annoying problem and know how you feel. I blush/flush as a result of anxiety, nervousness, embarrassement or even when I bend down I can feel the blood rushing to my face and it turns all blotchy. Moisturising will not make any difference as the blushing is the result of internal processes almost out of your control when it happens. Unfortunately, just as there are people who are acne-prone and others who are not, there are also people who have a greater propensity to blush over others. This has something to do with a higher number of blood vessels in the face area some when one of the triggers are activated (e.g. anxiety) they dilate and you blush. Also, taking antibiotics is definitely not going to help the situation.

I would say your best bet to control the problem is to try relaxation techniques, exercise and meditation. If you don't mind spending a lot of money then you can try having sessions of IPL (Intense Pulse Light) treatment.

Stan have you found a way to control yours?

Well i have social anxiety and blush around people and even when im alone. Ive been on meds for it like prozac and propronolol but they only work short term soon as you stop them it comes back. So my gp sent me to do cbt that has not worked either. So ive been refered to see a surgeon appointment is next week to try and stop my blushing so I might have to have the ets operation done on me. I also get exccesive sweating of the hands so it could be hyperhydrosis which the blushing is a part of this dont know if you can relate to any of this?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

you could try beta-blockers for the blushing, try vitamins that strengthen capillaries, such as grapeseed, vitamin c, ester c....I am getting IPL (intense pulse light) done for my flushing and perm. redness and it does help, although they are expensive. Always wear spf, try to avoid the sun if you could. This condition sucks but there are some things you could do about it, although there is no cure

Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xismybaby
    you could try beta-blockers for the blushing, try vitamins that strengthen capillaries, such as grapeseed, vitamin c, ester c....I am getting IPL (intense pulse light) done for my flushing and perm. redness and it does help, although they are expensive. Always wear spf, try to avoid the sun if you could. This condition sucks but there are some things you could do about it, although there is no cure
    Xismybaby, have you experienced any success in controlling your flushing via vitamins? I have taken vitamins such as those listed above but experienced no improvement.

Yes I have red beta-blockers can be used but the whole mechanism of this medication concerns me as it involves interactions with the heart so in the long run it definitely is not a viable solution.

Could you please let us know how effective your IPL treatment is when you have had it done as I too am looking into it?

And finally do you know whether retinols and chemical peels such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid and TCA can make the skin more susceptible to blushing as the skin seems to be thinned?

THanks!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
    hahaaaa
    (male)

hahaaaa HB User

my skin was red as can be all the time... UNTILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL i bought this stuff "Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser" and I got "Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Vitamin E Scar Serum"... I stopped using my normal rutine of the cleanser and the acne cream and this is wroking much better... the pimples that I had are gone, (no idea how)... no new ones formed... and my face is atleastttt 10-15% less red in 3 days... it says to give it 4 weeks to improve the condition... but it also says it provides immediate redness relief too so if your going out and you don't want to look like a cherry you should put it on, wash it off, and pat dry...

Old 03-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
    haze215
    (male)

haze215 HB User

don't use any sented lotion or anything. don't wash your face with anything but cold water. just soak it in cold water. i had the same exact thing for the last two weeks. i got a chemical burn from overwashing my face. if you put nothing on it eventually your face will turn a tanish color and will look like you are wearing bronzer(i'm a guy its not too cool), it will probably take a day. the next day it will be a lighter tan. the day after that it will be almost normal but you will have extreme peeling. just put a moisturizer on that will not clog your pores. if you feel it burning take it off and just let the skin peel off itself. i was too anxious to wait a few more days after my skin started peeling and i used proactiv and i got the burn back. its really embarassing so i took a few days from school off.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
    neumann

neumann HB User

nice guy,
    my nose and the area around my nose gets reaally red sometimes. When i went to the derm for my acne i told her and she gave me a lil tube of Elidel to try out. I tried it and it works great. The redness usually lasts a couple days but if I put on the Elidel when i goto bed its gone the next mornin. The derm told me to try it on my acne maybe the redness will go away but it didnt really work. It does have a burning sensation when u apply it tho. Ask the derm about it and he might give u a free sample to try out.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

neca, first let me just say DO NOT use anything harsh like glycolic acid, salicylic acid..etc. They will definitly make your skin worse. Well i take vitamin e and vitamin c with rutin and bioflavonoids, and to be honest i'm not sure if it helps with my blushing and flushing. I know however, some vitamins do strengthen blood vessels and capillaries. I take Nadolol, which is a beta-blocker (only 20mgs) and they are supposed to put less stress on the heart, which is not a bad thing, however i do not want to take them forever. I have had 4 IPL (photoderm vl) treatments and they have been the most successful thing i have done for my flushing and redness. Right now my skin is much smoother and the redness isnt as bad and my skin is more even. The flushing has reduced, when i flush it does not last as long and my cheeks do not turn as bright red as they used to. Now these treatments are not a cure but on most people they do help significantly. Some people have to go back every once in a while and get touch-up treatments (maybe 1 or 2 times a year, not sure exactly). I really hope with my last treatment (5th) i will be even more pleased with the results. If you are looking into it, please check out your doctor and see if they have good experience with IPL, you do not want someone who doesnt know what they are doing, because it might not work. BTW you probably know that they are pretty expensive. Hope this helps and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Hi xismybaby, thanks for your reply! I agree harsh acids like glycolic, salicylic etc. are should not be used on sensitive skin like ours and I don't normally use them for my daily routine. However, as I am planning to under go a TCA peel, to increase it's effectiveness and minimise risk of scarring I have to perform glycolic peels to prepare the skin to exfoliate. The Retin-A Micro is also extremely beneficial in this case. Once I have done the TCA peel I will go back to my normal routine that is much more soothing on my skin. The TCA should even out my skin tone as it is in much need of this.

Wow you have had 4 IPL treatments already, it does seem like this form of therapy is the way to go with regards to flushing as many people who have had them done seem to be happy with the results like yourself. Can I ask you how exactly is the treatment carried out? Do you sit underneath a light for a period of time with intermittent blasts of intensive light on your skin? How does it feel during the procedure, is there any pain and how long was your downtime? Thanks a lot!!!

Old 03-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hey neca- you lay down and the doctor puts goggles over your eyes (because the light is really bright, kindof blinding), then the doctor applies a cool gel to the spot which they are about to treat. Then the machine thing is applied (my eyes are covered so i dont know exactly what the tool looks like), and i guess she presses a button and it zaps you and a blast of light comes out, onto the skin. And the doctor does this to the entire areas which are red (gel then zapped with light). Well, you are supposed to put a numbing cream on about an hour before the treatments, so it doesnt hurt so bad. I will tell you it does hurt, but i dont really care, you get used to it. It feels like a rubber band slapping against your skin kindof hard. After the treatment your skin should be really red, like you got beat up or something..lol. Its not pretty and i hide my face afterward, because its very red . Some people's downtime is longer than others, my downtime isnt bad at all. The first time i got an IPL treatment done, it was swollen and red for like 2 or 3 days. But now my skin is just red for 1 day and it looks good and smooth after that. Once i got 2 wets from it but they have totally healed. Hope this helps!!

Closed Thread