It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #196
    ipdmscstds
    (male)

ipdmscstds HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Found it, got the biotin 600 with 120 capsules, i hope that'll be enough. I'm curious if that's the same one you guys were using because there was biotin 300 and biotin 2500. i finally found it at GNC. I also purchased the 400 I.U. Vitamin E. i take both of these daily after dinner. My mom bought me Ocean Potion Moisturizing Aloe Lotion. It has TTO which i know is great for acne but it also has Vitamins A, C, and E. so i don't know if i should apply it cuz we are supposed to stay away from Vitamin A right? just need some suggestions/information. Thanx alot amigos!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #197
    mikegoons
    (male)

mikegoons HB User

yea thats why i was wondering if we should drink green tea on accutane , cause it has a high source of vitamin A???

Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #198
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

heya del! you should get an aloe plant, they're almost impossible to kill, just keep it outside and water it once in awhile. i've had mine two years outside and if i can keep something alive in this heat, then you should have nooooo problem! they are such a pretty green color, and so handy to have in the summer, what with all the sun and whatnot- my son and hubby burn like crazy.

why have you been banned chica? *gasp* have you been naughty on the health board?! *lol* what does that even mean anyway?

i'm gonna try again to find that foundation online, although i hafta say, i'm tempted to just go to nordstrom and get some lancome, i know exactly where that is! *lol*

so, do you use other topicals, or just the aloe? i've also been using the cleocin lotion, and aveeno postively smooth moisturizer at night, to help reduce my peach fuzz, it is becoming more like kiwi fuzz!! NOT cute. and my gyno wasn't very sympathetic, he just said that it's b/c i'm getting "older" can you believe that crap? i'm 31, that's not "older" my mom is "older" i most certainly am not! anyway, i'm not sure if i should put the aloe on between the cleocin and the aveeno, or before both, or after both, or what. guess i'll try on top and see how that goes. i just started the aveeno, but so far have not noticed any reduction in peach fuzz. keep yer fingers crossed fer me, okay?

so how's it going on the tane? you sound really good, positive. skin clearing nicely? dad more on board with the meds? mine has finally stepped off, only for his nagging to be replaced by my husband's-- men! i can't wait to be off this stuff tho, i am plum tuckered. had to reschedule my derm appt twice (kids), now i'll be outta meds about 5 days or so before my next visit and i'm scared. isn't that the stupidest thing? i'm scared to go off this stuff that's totally knocking me out. but my skin looks sooooo goooood... i'll take achy joints forever if it means no more breakouts, know what i'm saying here? i just don't want those pimples back, ever! i could live w/out the chapped lips, that does get annoying. but i can handle it, i swear! *lol*

take care dahling! ali

Old 06-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #199
    bimbotica
    (female)

bimbotica HB User

hey del remember you said you knew a friend who had tried accutane before and her skin was lovely? that's great news...cause i think i might go on it but apparently it spoils the quality of your skin...is that true?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #200
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

bimbot, i had a nurse tell me that the receptionist had worse acne than mine (perish the thought, mine was BAD when she was telling me this), all over her face, chest and back. after her course of accutane her skin sloughed completely off leaving her with baby-butt smoothness all over. where did you hear that it spoils the quality of your skin? my experience, and i'm not finished yet, is that it makes the skin quite dry, but for me, it's vastly improved the quality of my skin, i just have to make sure to use moisturizer every single day, whereas i didn't always before. it's a lot more sensitive now, but i've been on this stuff for awhile.

good luck bimbot! ali

Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #201
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Hey Guys,

Ali, if you want, type in affirm foundation in to the google site. The website should come up. I just ordered the trial size. IT WAS FREE! All I had to do was pay for the shipping 5.99. which is great!? they obviously have enough confidence about the product.

I go off accutane tomorrow. I am a little nervous. I REALLY dont want it to ever come back. And I was on such a low dose for 20 weeks that I am concerned it will. I ll keep all of you in the loop.
    So, wait, what happened to DEL? haha...i didnt know you could be "suspended" or place in time out from health boards.

and Ali, when you say this woman had horrible acne... by the end of the treatment did she have baby smooth skin. Like I have said, I am 100 % clear (knock on wood), but the texture is not smooth. Granted, it isnt HORRIBLE. But, it is my face and I notice it. I am just so curious if it will be like this forever. I have been trying to find someone who can tell me if they had this texture and then had it heal and become completely smooth. if anyone has... please let me know.
    Thanks. hope all is well!!!!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:19 PM   #202
    bimbotica
    (female)

bimbotica HB User

hey ali thanks for that encouraging bit of news.....and how's your progress coming along? all the best hun!
    anyways, eternalbliss...do you have acne scars? what type are they? they usually smoothen out by themselves if they aint too serious..

Old 06-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #203
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey ladies! finally i found the affirm makeup!! sheesh, i can't believe it was so easy, when before it was nowhere, i swear! *lol* i guess the difference in a word on a search engine, huh?

anyhoo, the woman in question, the one with the smooth skin, took about a year, start to finish. i saw her about a year after she started her treatment and couldn't believe it when the nurse told me later that she had had this horrible acne problem. she looked like she had blessed skin, i swear. creamy and gorgeous. and this while i was still in the throes of the worst breakout of my entire life, with cysts so huge and painful i couldn't even turn my head! gave me hope, and kept me off a rope, if ya know what i mean. however, i have read by another poster on this board, that microdermabrasion is awesome, and affordable. she said she paid about $70 pre treatment. i pay more for a facial, okay? and with less of a result, i'm sure! plus, i don't think you have to tip the derm! *lol*

last day of school, i am giddy, can you tell? i have two kids at the same school, in different grades and am there four times a day!!! that, by itself, can give a girl a breakout.

my personal progress is great! i've slept in my makeup twice in a row (bad, i know, but i was TIRED!), and have nothing to show for it. nothing! BT (before tane), if i was even late taking off my makeup there would be hell to pay. unbelievable, how this stuff actually works. some kinda miracle. i still have red marks, and my skin texture is somewhat orange-peel-ish, but there are no more bumps or scabs, i am a happy girl. now if i could only get off this stuff!

eternalb, i know just how you feel going off of it. i so want to be done with this treatment, but at the same time i am absolutely petrified that the acne will come back! i'm gonna be out for a few days before my next derm appt and i'm scared of just that, with the promise of getting more and everything. but really, it is powerful stuff. like chemo lite or something, isn't it? nausea, hair loss, depressed appetite and so on. sure does the trick tho.

you're lucky, going low dose for 20 weeks. i've been on for 7 months. i know i complain about it constantly, but it SUCKS! *lol* i want cocktails! i wanna sit in the sun! i wanna work out, work in my yard, pick up my kids, do the dishes, scrub the shower without pain! i want normal chapped lips dammit! you are going to have those things eternalb! lucky girl. and you'll be fine with yer beautiful skin and all. omg, you'll be able to get your eyebrows waxed. what i wouldn't give for waxed eyebrows! *lol* take care sweeties! ali

Old 06-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #204
    bimbotica
    (female)

bimbotica HB User

oh ali dearest you will soon get to do all these things and more with your acne gone!!!
    but why's scrubbing dishes and cleaning the yard such a chore? is it cause of how little energy you have cause of tane? that sounds scary......i need my energy!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #205
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Just wanted to check in, I'm glad everyone is doing well! I'm at a month and a half of 40mg per day with nothing but dry lips and no zits! I've been clear of zits for quite a while ago but now, I woke up the other day and noticed almost all the gross blackheads in my chin wer GONE. Amazing! I'm so pleased with Accutane. And for those who ask if generic is not as good, I'm on Amnesteen and obviously it is working fine. And it's only $10 per month

I want Deltoro back though! Why is she banned? Bring her back mods

Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #206
    Enfyniti1980
    (female)

Enfyniti1980 HB User

I'm in my 5th month of 40mg/day Accutane. I've had nothing but dry lips and dry eyes, but almost perfectly clear 100% of the time. It's well worth it. I do have a question, tho, for other Accutane users. My derm said that I will be on 40mg/day (without any increase for some reason) for a minimum of 10 months! What's up with that? It seems like a long time. Not only is it annoying to keep scheduling pregnancy tests with one doctor and derm appts with another, but I want to get off of it asap. Anyone else on Accutane for a long period of time?

Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #207
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

thank you b'tica, for your kindness! *lol* i'm a terrible housekeeper to begin with, but my skin is so sensitive i have to wear gloves for anything i do, and don't forget i have two kids! they're both 6yo, and argue almost constantly. i'm not certain, but i think that may contribute to my being tired all the time! but the normal course of treatment is five months, i'm working on 7 1/2 now, that can't help. accutane doesn't make you tired by itself, it just makes it a little harder for the body to recover from intense physical activity, esp if yer a wimpy housewife chasing down kids and their messes all the time, like me! heehee supermom, i am not!

hey enfy, i'm on accutane indefinately, at least yer derm gave you a time frame. every time i ask mine he always says another month or two! he's been saying that since march!!! aaaargh! works though. and i keep going back... sucker?

well said mic! glad to hear you're doing well. i use amnesteem too, cheapass insurance company! haha i want del back too, but i don't think she's really been banned?! is that even possible? what could she possibly have done to be removed from our board? give us back deltoro!

Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #208
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Maybe your derm thinks since you are having minimal side effects he will try to give you a bigger overall dose and lessen the chances your acne will come back

Old 06-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #209
    summerbreeze7
    (female)

summerbreeze7 HB User

just my two cents here; my son (age 19) is doing just fine after his accutane treatment. He started on it when he was 16. He tried topicals, antibiotics, etc.... he started getting really bad cystic acne, and I didn't want him to have scarring. I could tell it was bothering him; even though hed didn't complain alot. I was thinking what was going to happen if we didn't go to the next step. We went to a dermatologist who had prescribed accutane to many of her patients. She has been in practice about 20 years. She also made my son feel like "this problem can be fixed" she spoke to him, and really put him at ease. She went over the side effects etc... with us, and after thinking about it all in detail; we (my son really) said, "I want to give it a shot. The Dr. had also mentioned that sometimes patients need to go on more that one round of treatment. My son was happy that only one round worked!!!!! His skin looks great, and there is no scarring. He still get a mild break out once in a while. He is 19 yrs. old now. He didn't have the side effects that we were told could happen. He drank alot of water. I do remember the first 4-6 weeks his acne actually got worse and at his follow up appt. I mentioned this to the Dr. and she said it was normal for accutane treatment. By the 8-10 week it was getting really clear. My son's confidence was noticeable. He had the moisturizers, lip ointment etc.. He lost a little bit of hair, but not noticeable at all by friends or anyone else. Only mom sees these things. If we had to do it again.......YES!!!! I am not a Dr. but I just wanted to share the story of my son's experience. Take care everyone!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #210
    SweetAmy87
    (female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

im glad to hear successful stories since i started accutane 3 days ago! wish me luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    _-*~!ŚMy!~*-_
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread