It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

I am on day 6 of accutane. So far no side affects but dry lips but that could be just because I drank last night I usually get dry lips after a night of drinking. I have only gotten two new pimples in the last week. I am bracing myself for this bad out break I guess most accutane users have. How far into it do you usually get the bad break out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM   #17
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Hello All Just an update, went and took my last prego test today(I didn't chicken out this time, although I am still scared to death) got my prescription. Depending on when I get my new pres. card (may have to wait until Monday but hoping Saturday) I will fill my prescription and take my first pill. I am nervous but feel prepared. I hope for the best but have prepared for the worst. Its weird and I think this is worth mentioning, it might be helpful to someone else. I have been on spiro, prescribed my my md not my derm because I needed a directic and it was cheap and she thought it might also help with my adult acne, possibly kill two birds with one stone for about 2yrs? maybe a little less. Anyway recently I have been doing alot of cleansing etc and have been able to go off the spiro, I seem to have corrected my system with all my cleansing and don't need a directic anymore, I am no longer retaining water, (even during my period! yeah for me I usually go up anywhere from 7-10lbs, no exaggeration) and on any other day about 3lbs of water retention that I can measure on a consistent basis. So I quit taking my spiro about two weeks ago, I had my derms permission to continue to take it as a directic if I needed it even while on accutane, but like I said, I didn't need it anymore so I really don't see the point in taking it everyday. My face has been so clear you would not believe it. It is truly unbelievable. Its weird and maybe its not the lack of spiro, maybe just some other variable, but I thought it was a pretty big coincedence. So take that with a grain of salt, but just thought it might be interesting information to add to the mix. I went and got my last eyebrow, lip, bikini, leg, underarm and foot wax yesterday! My friend owns the salon and was cracking up over it, I told them to make sure to get everything so it would be easy to maintain while on accutane. So I think this is it for this update! More to come soon, stay tuned!

Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #18
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Oh one more thing! My prescription is for 40mg a day for the first thirty days, then I will go back in for a check up.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #19
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Deltoro,

I think it is wonderful that you are being pro-activ about accutane. It is a serious drug with many side effects if the right pre cautions are not taken. In fact, after reading your post, I completely related to everything you did prior to going on the medicine. I am a true believer of "holistic" medicine, acupuncture, nutrition, and homeopathy. I, as well, did some liver detoxes before and currently while on accutane. But, before I went on accutane, I tried it all to discover the culprit of my acne. I eliminated sugar from my diet because I discovered I am sensitive to it, I did every "natural" remedy (homeopathy, acupuncture, fasting to eliminate all toxins) , I had 3 sessions of the smoothbeamlaser, but my acne was persistent. It was actually worsened after the smoothbeam. I am on my 10th week of accutane. And I am happy to say that I am seeing wonderful results with tolerable side effects. My lower back bothers me from time to time, but that's all at the moment. My lips are not dry at all. Maybe once per week... they get really dry and exfoliate themselves. I was very nervous about accutane because my body is very sensitive. But, (knock on wood) I have been doing really well. I think it is, also, because my regimen is very strict.

1. I take Omega-3 fatty acid capsules (supposedly countereffects depression)
    2. little sugar bc your teeth get dry and many people develop cavaties after accutane
    3. Vit E capsules
    4. I wash my face with all Dr. Hauschka products. My lips LOVE the lip care stick. I think this is why my lips have not been as chapped. Other chapsticks can be addictive. This line is a little pricey, but to me it is well worth it. It is all natural.
    5. Humidifier in my room.
    6. LOTS of water everyday
    7. no drinking
    8. nioxin for hair
    9. I have a kick *** insurance plan through my job that covers acupuncture. so, i get it every few weeks.
    10. I am on liver detoxes (homeopathy) to make sure everthing is being flushed.
    11. Borage oil capsules
    12. I am not drinking alcohol at all
    13. I am a contact wearer. I wear my contacts to work (Complete Moisture Plus has been my solution). I ll put some refresh tears in my eyes before bed. DO NOT USE VISINE! Make you use natural tears.
    14. Make up: Jane Iredale has a wonderful line of make up (again, a little pricey...but, well worth it.) It is the Purepressed Base with spf 17. It works really well esp on the red marks left over from your acne when your face begins to clear.
    15. really good vitamins.

So, continue to be vigilant about your health (on and off accutane). You ll notice you re body will appreciate it!

Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #20
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks EternalBliss! I appreciate your great post, it does almost seem we have had a parrallel journey before accutane doesn't it? I really do believe if you take care of your body it will take care of you. Today's society is is so over medicated, over prescribed, and stupid about what they let a "DR" prescribe for them to put in their bodies. The I want it now! With no hardwork or thought mentality keeps them in big business with the drug companies which is very BIG money. I rarely drink so its not a big deal for me not to drink while on accutane, I guess I will be the DD for awhile! The transformation and healing your body can take is truly unbelievable, you just have to be patient it doesn't happen overnight. It was a very difficult decision for me and one I have struggled with for years, so I am trying to take even more special care of my body. Thanks again for the great reply!

Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #21
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Alrighty then, I just took my first pill of 40mg. I finally got my prescription drug coverage straightened out and was able to fill my prescription. It was weird taking the first pill. I am severely broken out already, so it really couldn't get any worse. Knock on wood. I bought all the other stuff and it cost about 50 bucks, and my prescription only cost 10.00! I was so relieved. One day down.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #22
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Good Luck, Deltoro. Welcome aboard the long journey... Anyway questions, just ask.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #23
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Second pill today. Is really necessary to put the picture of the pregant lady with a big red X on every blister tab, for every pill I will ever take? I mean good god, I had to take 2 pregancy test, hear 3 lectures, sign 5 forms, and start taking the pill before I started taking the accutane. Is seeing that prego lady and my possible cone headed baby on every pill really necessary? Is that what society has come to? That everything has to be so dumbed down because no one will take any personal responsibility for anything anymore? ok that rant is over, it just really bothers me. Ok back to the real subject pill #2. I woke up with things that where horrible looking just bad, which is progress. I think the change to cetaphil wash and moisturizer help as well. My lips are already a little chapped, just a small change. I think at this point I am playing mind games with myself as to the possible side effects, so I just need to chill out and do some more yoga and try not to worry about it because I have taken all the possible precautions.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #24
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

I know that pregnant thing was bothering me to, apparently us women are to horny to control ourselves or use protection. LOL

Old 04-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #25
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

I was kind of curious about what girls here have done. Have you active women with a boyfriend or husband just completely abstained the whole time, or did you go with the 2 forms of protection? They scared the crap out of me so bad I almost don't even trust the 2 forms of BC. But I have a boyfriend and 7 months is a long time....

Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #26
    Carebear26

Carebear26 HB User

I have an IUD in, the doctor that administered it said my type of IUD is more effective that a tubal ligation (getting fixed) and my derm still made me promise to use condoms and sign all these forms saying I would. I am married and when I metnioned condoms to my husband he laughed, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I already have a hard time getting pregnant as it is and with an IUD in I am really not worried about getting pregnant. Anyway if a person did get pregnant on Accutane I don't know why anyone would carry to full term and have a deformed sick baby....

Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #27
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

carebear, for the backup method my husband and i have found VCF (vaginal contraceptive film) to be an acceptable alternative to condoms, and you can find them right next to the condoms at the drug store. only thing is you have to use it at least 15 min, but not more than 3 hours, prior to the deed, but that hasn't been a big deal for us. on the doc's sheet that you fill out at each visit i just mark that we use condoms, as vcf isn't on there, and i'm not too interested in explaining it to m'derm.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #28
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I have not had sex in about for years, I am not married and have not been in a serious relationship in a while, so its not a problem for me. My derm prescribed me bc, but I am not going to take it, since I am abstinent, I see no reason to give my body anything else to deal with, when I don't have sex. If during my treatment I start seeing some one I can always start the birth control if it looks like things are moving in the direction of me having a physical relationship with someone. I am on day four of accutane, and nothing much to report. The first two days of taking it I was very lathargic and had a mild headache in the morning, (I take it at night). I however adjusted my diet the next day, using the FDA food period making sure I was getting everything in a balanced diet and eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, and that helped, I feel much better and no longer have headaches. I have been drinking plenty of water and mositurizing my whole body like crazy. I think I just wasn't eating enough, and it was making me feel like crap in general. My face is looking better in general, nothing major, like I said my face was in a very bad state, so its going to be hard to track an intial breakout. No major peeling or dry lips yet. I can tell a small change in the peeling aspect,my skin is peeling over blemishes in thinner sheets, and the cyst are starting to go away quicker than they normally would. So far no complaints. Just a few minor adjustments to my diet has made all the difference between the way I felt the first two days and these past two days. You really have to take care of yourself while on this medication or I could see where you would be very miserable!

Old 04-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #29
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Deltoro, thanks for the tip about diet, I'll remember that when I start next month! How much are you taking?

Old 04-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #30
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I am taking 49mg currently, I am sure that I will get bumped up when I go back to the derm next month. No problem, eating a balanced diet has really helped with the way I feel on this med., I would be feeling pretty miserable right now had I not fixed that up front. I am bad about skipping breakfast, drinking lots of coffee, a small lunch and and a small dinner. I just needed more balance in my diet to help my body out while on accutane. I have also noticed my bowel movements have become more frequent, I am having one to two more a day than I normally would, and they have a funny smell. Its a solid stool, so I am not worried about it, guess its just my bodies way of purging on the accutane. It sounds weird, but I always notice my bowel movements, its a good way to make sure things are ok in your body!

Closed Thread