It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #31
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Sorry typo 40 mgs a day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #32
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Update on day four, over all feeling pretty good, starting to get some white heads. Little more dry skin, nothing out of control. I went to the farmers market today and got a little sunburned just being out in the sun for about 45 minutes. I also went shopping and came out of the store, I hadn't put my sun glasses on yet and it was a nice sunny day. I thought I had walked onto the sun! I was absolutely blinded by the light! I couldn't believe it, I put my sun glasses on but it was a little startling how sensitive my eyes where to the sun.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #33
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deltoro
    he counted 25 cyst
    Holy crap!! 25?!! OUCH!!

So sorry that you broke out badly esp. as you'd been really good with the food thing. Even though I avoid pills 25 cysts would definately make me run to the derm for drugs!!

Good luck with accutane, I hope it works out for you.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #34
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks veggie girl, as you know I am not thrilled about having to do this, but I was afraid with it being so bad it might turn into something else not face related that could start hurting my body, so I did it. I am on day 5, and its offical my face f'ing hurts!!!!! No other real complaints. My acne and cyst seem to have become hyper sensitive and hurt like hell. They are going away faster, but still! I don't even have to touch them they just HURT!!!!!!!! No big improvements, but I didn't expect any this soon.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #35
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Day Seven, no side effects except my lips are much dryer, which can be controlled easily with lipbalm. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on uping a dosage. I have read on the board some people stay on a lower dose for longer with fewer side effects or a larger for a shorter period of time but with bigger side effects. I would hate to cause liver damage by staying on a smaller dose for a longer period,but if you are taking a larger dose for a shorter time are you facing the same risk? Not sure on this one, and if I ask my derm I can't be certain he will be up front with me, you never really know, if they are being up front or not with you. Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it, hope everyone is doing well.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #36
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

I would think being on a lower dose would be better for your body. Therefore, your body is not undergoing lots of stress and uncomfortable side effects. The side effects are a reaction to the drug. As your body is trying to flush the drug from your system, some side effects can occur. The other side effects of from a high dose of sythetic vitamin A. I am no Doctor, but that would be my opinion.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:25 PM   #37
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks for the feedback eternalbliss. I am on day 11, not much to report. No big change in my skin, some stuff seems to be fading, but I am not sure if it is just my mind playing tricks on me or not...because I am hopefull. Any who I am coming up on on a two week mark and I am expecting to have a bad break out. My lips are very dry and really bother me so I am constantly lubing them up.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #38
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

If you get the initial break out, just breathe through it. It can be intense at times... try to stay away from mirrors. By week 5, I saw such an improvement... it was so exciting.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #39
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks for the continued encouragement, I appreciate it. I woke up today and I can offically say my face has exploded!!!! But like I said I really expected it. I went to get my hair trimmed and my hair dresser freaked out because my scalp was so dry. She gave me some deep conditoning treatement and advised me to wash my hair with cool or cold water as much as I could stand it and it would help and also to use the low setting on my hair dryer. I will be glad when this is over!!!! I did see one of my friends while I was getting my hair done and she just happened to mention that she was on accutane a couple of times, I never knew she had been on it and she truly has the most beautiful skin I have ever seen, so that gives me real hope!

Old 04-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #40
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

If you hair begins to bother you, I recommend Nioxin. It is a little pricey, but well worth it. You can go on their website and check out places in your area to purchase it. Also, try not to wash your hair more than 2 times per week. Throw on a shower cap... your showers are so much shorter. it is best to let the natural "oils" flow in your scalp... as much as you have left while on accutane.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #41
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks Eternalbliss, I actually already have nioxin, I bought it before I started, I have just been lazy about using it, and this was really just one of those things that literally happened overnight!!! I just will have to adjust to accomodate this new development, its weird, its like you have to learn how to live again while on accutane! All these small changes, things that never mattered before are all the sudden a big deal! I still have about 5 cyst from pre accutane that just won't go away,and they hurt like hell! So I used some camphopehnique on them last night before I went to bed to try to pull some of the soreness and pain out of the cyst, I woke up this morning and things are much better! They honestly look a lot better, this is the first day in almost 2 weeks I can say that there seems to be a dramatic difference in my face, 5 cyst seems like a lot of most, but for me this is a huge improvement! My face will probably blow up tonight, but right now I am embracing this even though it is probably temporary, I will take what I can get!!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #42
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Pill 14, my skin is clearing so well and the red marks are fading in lighting speed, I can't even believe it. Even if it last just one more day before another breakout, its nice not to have to worry about it as much as I use to! It would be too easy for my face just to clear up like this, so I am not holding my breath or kidding myself that it will be smooth sailing from here on out. I just didn't expect to see this much dramatic improvement in such a short time. Hope everyone is doing well. I will probably have a sob story for you tommorow, but hey today is today and I am looking pretty good!

Old 04-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #43
    sweet_angel
    (female)

sweet_angel HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Hi there glad you took the plunge. I loved the accutane and after 4 years I am going on it again and I wanted to tell you even after ur treatment you may still have some of these side effects for some time as I did. I just wanted to give you some really good advice and anyways sounds like your being causious enough thats good.
    Keep your nose well lubricated at night use your vaseline with Q-tips apply lil in the inside of the nasal. I never realized as was my first time of course that this could be a problem if I did'nt use it.
    Also do take your lenses out at night regaurdless dont mean to scare you but I never did even though I woke with my eyes glued shut and learned the hard way my vision in my left eye was damaged, I wore glasses for six months to correct it. Even after my courses of Accutane these were the things that still continued to be a problem for at least six months after going off the treatment. I was impressed that you are also smart enough to use the humidifier.
    I am on day two of my second treatment after 4 years, my acne came back because I didnt take it long enough I jus thought "wow I am clear" and stopped so this go round will be 4 months and I will take it all this time.
    Good luck

Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #44
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thank you for your support and your advice, I appreciate it! Welll I thought I would have a sob story for you today, and I do, but its not that bad, and it is totally self inflicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me tell you a sad story of a lovely girl on accutane that was having a stressfull work day at her transportation job and at 5:00 didn't want to go to yoga class or eat a healthy dinner. So she skips yoga, pulls through mickey d's and orders a number 9! She wolfs it down with a bring grin on her ever clearing face and sits on the couch playing ms.pac man and watching "The office" not giving a second thought to skipping her daily yoga. She goes to sleep with happy with a belly full of fast food. In the morning she wakes up and her face is inflamed and irritated! A few new pimples, crap she says and slaps herself on the forehead all the while eyeballing the aftermath of her over indulgence from the night before, the empty McD bag is on the top of the trash can. One step forward and one step back! Lesson learned, stick to my strict diet, it has helped while on accutane!!! Thanks for the kind reminder about sleeping in contacts, mine are made for that so its not usually a problem, but I have noticed that my eyes are much dryer when I wake up in the morning, so I dropped my glasses off at the optom. so she could put some new lenses in my frames that match my current prescription so I won't have to be so dependent on my contacts, I have to have one or the either..I have bad vision, I am near sighted -7.50 in both eyes so I can't just not wear one or the other, so hopefully my glasses with a new prescription will help. Crack is whack kids, and so is fast food, stay away from both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2005, 04:34 AM   #45
    sweet_angel
    (female)

sweet_angel HB User

Hi, I am so sorry about your Mcky D's attack and what it did to your skin. My sad story is I have only weighed 92 lbs since I started growing I am 27 years old and have did everything to gain weight, weight gainer, vitamines I have did it all and most people tell me all the time "some people would love to be your size" but there are skinny people out there whos self esteem is dead because they are too skinny. Anyway I never even paid attention to diet because I would basically eat anything always have, thinking one day I'll hop on a scale and have gained at least a few lbs, but because of that could be resulting in my cystic acne although my dad suffered it and still does at the age of 53 and now my brother bless him because hes so good looking. I know my acne runs down from my father but I believe I will think hard about diet and more healthy foods that is if I can even learn my health food ABC's "terrible" of me I know.

Closed Thread