It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #61
    Enfyniti1980
    (female)

Enfyniti1980 HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Ali, that is AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you!
    What dosages were you on during the 5 1/2 months?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #62
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

enfyni, my dosage was all over the place in the beginning as i had a really severe reaction, from january to about march i was on 40mgs tane and 20mgs prednisone every day, and going to the derm every two weeks for injections-- i was getting some seriously brutal cysts on my jaw in particular. about march-ish (i really don't keep as good a track of this stuff as so many other people do, i just kinda plug away, day at a time) derm and i agreed that since i was seeing him so regularly anyway, we might as well double the dosage of the tane, and keep the predinsone. prednisone is no joke, btw, i put on about 10 lbs on that stuff, all bloaty and uncomfy. just about beginning of april i started seeing real progress with my skin and (FINALLY) went to an injection-free visit to my derm, and made an appt for 5 (!!) weeks later, instead of 2. now i'm on 80mgs tane/day and 10 mgs predisone every other day, coming off it altogether over a period of weeks.

i hafta say, i'm a skeptic by nature, and this stuff was giving me no reason to hope, other than some testimonials and the constant reassurance of my derm and his staff. but it is finally starting to really work. i can hardly believe it, honestly.

this hasn't come w/out it's price, i'm getting hammered by my "insurance" company on the labs, my husband is giving me a ration of sh** for it too, and it's been an extremely long 5 1/2 months, with no definate end date in sight. my cholesterol is up, as are my triglycerides, and if they're not better in my next lab work i may have to go on lipitor or something like that. but it really is amazing to not wake up with fresh pain and humiliation every day. there's nothing oozing, bulging or otherwise growing and being gross on my face anymore, and the lumps that i always had in my neck, indicating the big, fat infection lingering under my skin, are gone. Gone!!

i am so optimistic now. i'm going to vegas with some girlfriends over memorial weekend and i'm gonna be smokin! i don't have to hide anymore.

i so wish this for all of us, and believe it will happen. my derm was right, it just takes time.

also, i know this is long, but here goes- i am so happy that i could inspire a little bit of hope. that can be in such short supply as the struggle continues and continues. i know that i was inspired by so many others on this board and i'm so happy to be able to give a bit back. luckluckluckluckluckluckluckluckluck!!! best, ali

Old 04-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #63
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Alrighty Day 24

I have been working long hrs and generally eating like crap, so my face hasn't been pleased, not that bad, but I can def tell a difference. Still nervous about my up coming derm apt next week and the upping of my dosage. I just realized something, when my face clears from the accutane, I am still going to have the live the life of an acne sufferer. Anybody else get what I am saying? To keep up the results, if I slide back into consistent bad diet, lack of a skin care routine or forgetting to take my vitamins, drinking enough water etc., there is a huge chance it will reflect on my face. Kinda of like when I lost all of this weight, I realized I was going to have to exercise every day for the rest of my life and use portion control to maintain my weight. I hadn't thought about this before, it doesn't suck, I just hadn't considered it. Damn the luck weight maintence and face maintence! Well you can't win them all right!!! Lets all congratulate Ali (arock) on her clear face she has earned it!!!! And JuiciCoutoure I saw you post the other day and I hope you will check in here and let us know how you are doing, we haven't heard from you in awhile!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #64
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

thanks deltoro. means much. i totally get what yer talking about. like, we'll never be finished with the sa face washes, never be able to eat all the junk we want, never be able to sleep on week-old pillow cases, never be able to go to bed w/ makeup on. sucks, but at least there's some hope, eh?

we've all worked so hard, spent so many $$, endured so much already, would be so nice if we could cure this and be done with it. oh well, c'est la vie, eh? things could be so much worse. small consolation, but there it is. at least we have good personalities! *lol* there's NO fix for a bad personality.

deltoro, you exercise every DAY?! impressive.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #65
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Yes I rotate between either yoga or pilates daily and do 45 mintues of cardio every day! After I broke my engagement off about three years ago and decided the hell with it! I ate and drank went out every night and started packing it on, I gain weight very easily! I went from 145 to 198 in two years I am fairly tall 5"7 but couldn't quite pull off that much extra poundage! So I basically started all over again at 198 and I am now 122lbs! I never want to have to loose that weight again!!! It is very hard work.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #66
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

del, yer a stud. g'on girl! with your good personality and yer tallness and yer lean bod, lucky! *lol* you've accomplished much, it seems. that kind of weight loss is sooo hard, no small thing to overcome, the force is strong with you. but i still can't believe you exercise every day, that is quite a force of will. very disciplined. i'm envious, being the lazy chic i tend to be. *sigh* like right now, i'm supposed to be doing laundry. stupid clothes!

Old 04-30-2005, 11:47 PM   #67
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Deltoro-
    Hey hun- What's going on! I'm so happy you were wondering about me!!! That made me feel better..especially because I have been down lately. VERY down. My skin definately got better for the past month, but I am broken out worse than ever right now. And It seems like it comes at the absolute worst times. I have a class coming up with this guy I basically dated, and let's just say that I was not broken out when we hung out. So I am totally embarassed of him seeing me like this... (Not like I still like him, But ya know that feeling of wanting to look BETTER when you see someone you dated...that's how I feel)

Anyway.. How is your skin doing? Have you gotten an initial breakout yet?? What is your dosage like?
    I'm seriously considering it now.. my derm appt comes up the 15th I believe- So I will be discussing Accutane with her. I cannot live this way, and I am scarring now. I got 2 of the biggest cysts I think I've ever had in my life, and I can already see the scar as it heals.. It's awful. Those are forever and I am just sick of this, and in total despair. I just want to hide away and I can't because it seems like everything is going on right now.
    Oh well... I hope you are doing well. Congrats Arock, I am so happy for you!! Clear skin, at last!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #68
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Ali, thanks for the props, but I am laughing as I read it! Believe me when I say I am possibly the laziest human being on earth! It is an uphill battle everyday, mind over matter for sure!
    Juci, I am sorry you are having trouble right now, I know extactly how you feel it is embarrasing to see someone from the past when you face has exploded, you always want them to still see what a mistake they made not being with you and how great you look, even if you dumped them and don't care anymore! I had been thinking of you while I have been on my treatment, my face is slowly progressing. No one else would look at my face and see a big improvement, but I see some. It has been a month and it is a big job being on accutane, you have to take really good care of yourself, but I think you are up to it if that is what you decided to do. My intial breakout, I am not sure about my skin was so bad it was hard to know when or if I was relly having one. I had days that my skin was worse, but not sure you could qualify that as an intial breakout, I guess its all about prespective, maybe what i consider progress is an intial breakout for someone else who skin wasn't as bad as mine. So its hard to say. I am on 40mg a day, but I will go back to the derm next thursday for a check up, so I am pretty sure he will up my dosage. I am nervous about that. Let me know if you have any more questions and keep your head up! Things will get better!

Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #69
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Deltoro-
    Thanks for the words, I appreciate it!!! Yeah, Exactly- I broke off the relationship, but I still feel like.. Well, when he sees me now, I want him to be like Whoaaaa.. Not... "whoaa what happened?" Ya know?? So, I'm absolutely dreading tomarrow.
    Yeah, I definately am the type who would take care of myself excessively on Accutane. Stocking up on the heaviest body creams, face creams, lip balms..eating well, drinking alot of water..etc. It almost feels like an adventure to me, but yet- I'm not sure if I want to take on that adventure because of the possible scary effects.
    I just don't want to make a mistake, ya know? This is a serious drug, not to be taken lightly- and I don't want any adverse effects..although thnking about a life with much less, or NO acne at all seems somehow worth the risk. I want that so badly.
    I'm going back to the derm soon, so I will discuss my options and weigh the pros and cons of treatments. I'm just sick of trying things that don't work. I didn't even want to bother with antibiotics because I took them alot as a child, and I'm pretty sure I'm almost immune to most types- and I think I was right because they barely helped me, and now at the end of the 3 months on doxy- I am broken out 10 times worse than I was before taking it. So not only did it not work, but i think any bacteria I did have, it became the scary, immune bacteria that people talk about after taking antibiotcs.
    Alright.. Well, please keep me updated on your course. I know it will work for you. I'm so afraid of the initial breakout. I mean, as terrible as I'm broken out right now..it IS manageable under make up- it doesnt look good, it barely looks decent but its manageable. I don't want to end up with out of control cysts and insane huge whiteheads all over a million times worse....

Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #70
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Day 27 on the tane..Holy Crap, I have had a bad day. I have never been made fun of or teased about the way I look in my life or at least that I knew or heard about until today. I was at work I had rounded the corner to go into the kitchen cubby, a room off of the main hall. I was half way around the corner to the entrance and I heard my name. I halted just for a moment and heard to of the men I work with in the kitchen, talking about how hot I was but my skin was a mess, and they wondered if something was wrong with me, even went as far as to say I might have an STD which is why my face is breaking out?or doing meth because that can make the skin breakout as well, the last thing I heard was "its always the girls that look like they live in the world of Ralph Lauren that are the most f'ed up and on drugs", I walked off, upset of course but I didn't mention it to anyone, I didn't even know what to say! How embarrassing! I know they would have never spoken that way had they knew I might hear them, and people talk, but that really hurt my feelings. Sad times! My friends and family have been so kind about my skin the past few years, never mentioned a word about it unless I brought it up and have never treated me any differently over it. I know they didn't mean to be cruel, like I said they would have never spoken that way in my presence but damn!!!!

Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #71
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Oh jeez.. I'm so sorry, Deltoro!!!!!!!

That is just an awful feeling. I always feel like people think that of me, too. I wanted to smack my mom a few weekends ago. There are these 2 guys who go to my church, and they both used to have acne really, really severely. Well, we saw the one brother recently, and his skin looked great. She was like, " What do you think he did?" And I said, "Probably Accutane" and she replies with the ignorant statement of "I always thought it was because they were on drugs" And I was so offended. I mean, I don't have the same kind of acne as they had (it was quite severe), but regardless- I have a problem right now. And my mom even had a problem with acne after pregnancy. So......Does that mean I am on drugs too? Why are people so ignorant?!?

Oh well, screw them! For real..let them think what they want..they are total a$$hat idiots with no life. Start a rumor about them, or something- or say it face to face to them.. Just be like "I love the fact that you deem it necessary to talk behind my back... For your information, My skin is broken out because Im taking medication...Not drugs. And as far as STDs go, I would think you'd know the difference between them and acne. Seeing as how you are a walking Viral infection. Now, talk about anyone in this office you feel you need to- but if I ever hear my name again, you will eat a filing cabinet through your ***, you giant fifth grader. Grow Up."
    LOL ...at least that's what I would do in this situation.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:23 AM   #72
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Ha, I like it, Juici. Deltoro, I agree, tell them off. Or at least inform them to try and improve their ignorance. In a couple months your skin will be crystal clear and glowing and you won't give them the time of day

Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #73
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Thanks guys for your comments it helps but things in perspective. I am not the kind of person that wears their heart on their sleeve, I was just so taken back I couldn't react at all! Well today is a fairly good skin day nothing major going on. I have been using aloe vera on my face at night instead of cetaphil moisturizer and I have had better results, I had a sneaking suspscion that it the cetaphil was breaking me out using it 2x a day so I just use it before my makeup in the morning now. Sunday night it go very cold here, I had forgotten I left my bedroom window open from that afternoon and it got to 33* here and I had turned on the humidifier in my bedroom and went to bed, the next morning I woke up with a sore throat! Of course I am uber paranoid that it is the accutane causing the irritation, but logically I can connect what really happened since this has not been a problem before! I am also beining really paranoid about my hair so I switched to nioxin shampoo and cond fulltime instead of switching out with regular shampoo, just for piece of mind. The biotin has really helped with the dry scalp I was having, I am not having any more problems.Do you see the trend here? I am being paranoid!!!! 28 days, they have flown by! Headed back to the derm on Thursday..still nervous!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #74
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Just got back from my MD, went just to have my throat checked out and it turn out I have strep throat! Glad I caught it early before I started feeling miserable! She said it is unrelated and not to worry. SO that makes me feel much better, she said it looked like my face was drying up and I didn't have anything new, asked my if I was having any problems I wanted to talk about related to the drug..pretty nice of her considering she isn't even the one that prescribed it to me and I was there for my throat! She is one of the few that won't shuffle you out of her office. She also told me that in her experience adults mid twenties or so have the best results from accutane and the least risk of the acne returning, because their bodies have settled down. She told me should would under no circumstances prescrib it to a teenager, due to the fact that they are not responsible enough to take care of themselves while on it and, they haven't stopped growing so the acne will come back. She also said it would be better on my liver to try the high dose for shorter period of time if I am not miserable. She rocks!!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #75
    Cassie4u22
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Accutane is a miracle! Of course, it will take about a month before you start seeing real results, but it is so worth it. Don't be too frightened by all the bad stuff you may hear about Accutane. I had HORRIBLE acne before going on Accutane.. it caused me to have the worst flare up of my life around week 3...but then after that, everything just magically started drying up and going away - literally. After Accutane, my skin looked the best it has ever looked. I went from hiding my face under layers and layers of makeup (sometimes I even styled my hair so it would fall into my face to hide the cysts !) to being able to walk outside without ANY makeup, fully confident. The completely clear skin lasted about a year and a half afterwards.. now I am starting to see it come back again But NOTHING like it was before, that is for sure! I would recommend Blistex Silk and Shine for your lips, it works wonders while on Accutane! Good luck - you're on the road to beautiful skin!!

Closed Thread